X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone else have this problem

To the OP: You're not the only one with this problem lol I've been in RSP for 5 months and will be in for a lot more since I'm doing Split option.It does **** at times doing the same thing over and over again although our cadre do try to have us do different training every time for the most part it's the same repetitive stuff.

The best advice I can give with my limited experience is to just try and make the best of it.Like our Cadre say it's all about your attitude, you can either have a miserable experience at RSP or you can make every RSP drill enjoyable(or at least try your best to make it so lol)

Comment

"RSP, how can I explain it, I take it frame by frame it" (throwback).. RSP is good and bad in my opinion. You have to remember when training soldiers, that you have a mix of everything. Not all is on the same level or education or ability to learn the same way. The majority of people learn either literally or physically. Some can only learn by reading, and some can only learn by hands on. Thats why we have a disease called Death by Power Point. Next is not all individuals learn at the same speed. Also with the incredible turn over of individuals in RSP, its tough to teach advanced topics yet still hit the basics. RSP Cadre, have to check certain boxes of training, that are required. Look at it from the side of the soldier that is there for only 1 RSP drill.

Now look at it from the side of the soldier, that has to be there for multiple RSP drills. The monotonous repetition of the same thing will bore the feces right out of a sane person. This individual has to think outside the box. The instructors also get tired of teaching the same thing over and over, but somethings cant change due to turnover. Take some training on you own. Even if its just reading. Become familiar with 350-1. Maybe even bring it up to the Cadre (they are already aware of it), but take the time to see if they can work something different into next drill and maybe you can help instruct it. Remember that, work off blocks of time and it might not fit in the training schedule, but you never know. Plus it gives you different topics to look into, to break up the same ole, same ole.
      Last edited by Phantom; April 10th, 2011, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Wow...I leave town for a couple days and miss all the action of this thread.

A lot of good points from both sides in this thread. At my unit every September drill I take all the newly returned "green phase" and have a little pow wow. I talk to them about how they've now completed basic, but still have a journey ahead of them. I'm straight with them and let them know that they will be doing some of the same training in the next 9 months they are with me, but I encourage them not to get complacent. I also have them make a list right then of different training events they would like to do through out that next year. Of course some of it is off the wall things that we could never do, but I try to incorporate as much of it as I can into the training. I also let them know what I expect of them since they are now BCT grads. I compare them to seniors in HS and now they are the ones who are responsible for making sure the underclassmen know whats going on, but they are not above any of them. I let them know that I will be stricter on them and hold them to a higher standard, but I also try to add some other perks in it for them as well. Bottom line though, YOU have to make the best of your experience. That goes for every situation the army puts you in. Like it's been said, bring up ideas to your cadre. We are there to help you all, we dont mind if you let us know how we can better help you.

Comment

RSP NCO--- That is actually a great thing to me. I just feel that most of the stuff done at my RSP is a complete waste of time. For example, we spent 6 hours doing movement stuff, and we only have like 20 people in our drill. We literally did the same exact thing the entire time. Then we marched, and thats about all we did this last drill. Oh wait I guess we did play flag football in the morning, and that was the fun part lol. But I believe this needs to be revised, we should either do that or start doing 1 day drills. My family knows what its like to not get much back on taxes and still only make enough money to survive, and I feel like we could cut so much spending if RSP was cut short. BCT teaches you everything to know. That is just my opinion though. I am motivated, we have a state wide drill this week which is gonna be legit, but I have mixed feelings about RSP drill. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Im glad someone agrees, I enjoy the fact that I am in the military. But man RSP is boring and a waste of time lol. I am really happy I only have 3 left. This week is a 3 day statewide one, so it will not be normal and will be fun. Then Next month I might skip and make up time helping my recruiter with some stuff. He said he might pull me out to help. But man I can't wait for the last one, it will be good to know that I am about to head to basic and I will never have to do the RSP stuff again... well I will once when I get back, but then Its off to my unit who is returning from Iraq. Thanks for the reply

Comment

Originally posted by JBuzz View Post
              My family knows what its like to not get much back on taxes and still only make enough money to survive, and I feel like we could cut so much spending if RSP was cut short.
              You lost me on this one. How does cutting RSP help your family get more money?

Comment

‘’ RSP is boring and a waste of time…… 6 hours doing movement stuff’’

So if RSP is such a waste of time, perhaps, for one you could use some of your ‘wasted time’ learning that your ‘’movement stuff’’ is the U.S. Army Drill and Ceremonies. Refer to FM 3-21.5 for further information.

During Blue Phase at BCT, you will spend DAYS doing D&C, not just 6 hours, to prepare for graduation, so wouldn’t it maybe help to already know what you are doing, even if just to help others?

‘’I am motivated’’……. Um, no. The definition of MOTIVATION is:

1. the act or an instance of motivating
                2. desire to do; interest or drive

THIS is definitely not an example of motivation. ‘’ …next month I might skip….’’

The mission of the Recruit Sustainment Program is to prepare non-prior service enlistees, for the physical and mental rigors of initial active duty for training (IADT); instill the seven army values in each warrior; reduce training pipeline losses; and verify warriors are administratively, mentally and physically prepared to meet shipping requirements.

What they teach you can give you a ‘leg up’ at Basic Training; many enlistees ship straight to BCT and have a difficult time trying to QUICKLY learn everything you are now being given the opportunity to learn now.

I am going to assume by your complacency that you have already memorized the entire rank structure, General Orders, phonetic alphabet, military time, Warriors Ethos, Code of Conduct & have maxed out your PT scores?? NO???? If not, then RSP is clearly not a waste of time and there is a lot you could be doing.

If you are not yet an E2, learning these things will get you promoted before attending BCT (Stripes for Skills) [See AR 600-8-19, Section 7-17 for more information] and I guarantee you will notice it in you paycheck. If you are already and E2 or an E3 and have everything down pat, than show some initiative and improve your leadership skills by assisting the enlistees who may not know it and actually want to improve and get a ‘leg up’ before BCT.

I just attended my second RSP but by my first and between my first and second, I took the initiative and have memorized everything I will need to memorize. Am I good to go? Not even close, I utilize what I DO KNOW to help others and soak up everything I DON’T know to help me give 110% 100% of the time at BCT.

‘’ it will be good to know that I am about to head to basic and I will never have to do the RSP stuff again...’’

At least for the people in MY RSP Company, after BCT you will return to RSP until AIT and not begin drilling with your assigned unit until MOSQ. For example, after I return from BCT, I will continue to go to RSP until I attend OCS and once I graduate, then I will begin drilling with my assigned unit. We have many that have returned from BCT and will keep drilling with US until they attend AIT, after that then they return for one more drill at which they are Out Processed.

Being motivated is not trying to ‘hurry up and be done with RSP’, its having the desire and interest to excel and do and be your best and at the very least, be motivated to motivate others.

It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes the difference.

Comment

JBuzz,

RSP canbe boring. But if it was eliminated, wouldn't you be even more bored waiting X amount of months to ship? You also wouldn't be getting paid anything either. Myself and others have already explained why there are limitations.

Historically, the military seemed to work just fine prior to RSP. Soldiers still went and learned everything they needed. You don't learn how to shoot a rifle in RSP, but you still pick up and qualify with one in boot camp. I was apart of the program before it became official and I can't say it gave me some kind of advantage over anyone else. Ranks can be learned in a day, but the names of all those in charge of you at the BCT training site is even harder and you will be quizzed on more often. DnC is done so much that it's easy to learn eventually. We never recited a single creed until we got to Benning. No problems there. If an old timer would like to chime in with an opposing view of how the military was worse off before RSP, please do contribute that.

As far as some people on here pushing you to somehow train yourself, that isn't the answer. That defeats the purpose of RSP and having NCOs in charge of you. I honestly don't see how they can point the finger at you and not the leadership. Some on here are seriously...too quick to blame the OP (although the attitude from your original post certainly encourages that.)

Anyway, the Guard has to keep you interested. And the only way to do that, is via RSP...or have you sit on your butt at home instead. The latter will steer you away from the military more and can (obviously not always) make you more susceptible to failure since you'd be completely out of touch with the way the military operates.

One weekend a month is enough for some people...to be reminded that boot camp is coming and they need to be ready for it at least physically.

Bottom line, you have to go. If you "skip"...in addition to the possibility of being officially labeled AWOL, you will begin to earn the re****tion of an ate up shammer. There is no bigger thorn in a 1SG or CO's side than these types of people. It will stick with you for a very long time. And considering how valuable the First Sergeant is to you...it is not in your best interest.
                  Last edited by SteveLord; April 11th, 2011, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Im talkin if they cut down RSP as a whole, it would use less money to do, not as many meals, etc. It would help with more tax breaks

I am doing BCT and AIT in one shot, no breaks in betweem

It wouldn't be skipping really, my recruiter said he is gonna pull me out to help him with some stuff. So it isn't AWOL. Thanks for the reply!
                    Last edited by SteveLord; April 11th, 2011, 05:38 PM. Reason: Combined posts

Comment

I am doing BCT and AIT in one shot, no breaks in betweem

Comment

It wouldn't be skipping really, my recruiter said he is gonna pull me out to help him with some stuff. So it isn't AWOL. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Im talkin if they cut down RSP as a whole, it would use less money to do, not as many meals, etc. It would help with more tax breaks
                          And surely you have some kind of numbers or bar graphs showing this right? That eliminating RSP would cost the military less money...while still retaining all recruits?

Eliminating something does not always mean an instant savings. When you grow up and work a corporate or government job (or just spend more time in the military beyond E1-E4)...you'll learn that. Everything is not always as it seems.

PS. I combined your posts, since you are not yet certified in Multi Quote Ops.
                          Last edited by SteveLord; April 11th, 2011, 05:38 PM.

Comment

And yes I am motivated. Dont try and tell me what I do and don't feel, unless your a therapist or something.

Comment

And yes I am motivated. Dont try and tell me what I do and don't feel, unless your a therapist or something.
                              JBuzz

I did not say you were not motivated; I said.....let me clarify..

I meant that your implied attitude does not exemplify motivation.

I certainly was not telling you what you do and do not feel (nor was I implying to train yourself); I was expressing my opinion that there are much better ways to utilize your time and experience at RSP than complaining about RSP.

It's a valuable opportunity, but (in most instances) you will only get out of it what you put into it.

Comment

RSP "Saves" the government money. Since the implemenation of the RSP the attrition rate at IET for Guard soldiers dropped drastically, thus saving money.

Comment

Working...
                                X