X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I know?

I know everything I have to bring to RSP but what should I know. Should you know all the ranks and how to adress people by the time RSP comes around. I dont want to be "that guy" who is completely confused. Thanks.

Re: What should I know?

You are not expected to know anything. We expect you all to be dumb privates . Not because you are "dumb" people, but simply just because you have not been taught yet. If you want to know all that before you go that would be to your benefit, but it's not expected before your first drill.

Comment

Exactly. They're not going to set you up to fail. You will be taught everything you're expected to know, but it could help you to look over rank structure, the phonetic alphabet, military time, etc.

Comment

All you need to know is: stay motivated, keep you ears open and your mouth closed, treat everyone (particularly the Cadre) with respect and be proud of yourself for what you are doing, for yourself, your community, your state and your country.

Comment

But it certainly wouldn't hurt to take a look at or even memorize the rank structure, General orders, ect.... We get drilled for those every time. If we don't know one of them the whole platoon gets smoked.

Comment

Originally posted by Rmontero11 View Post
            I know everything I have to bring to RSP but what should I know. Should you know all the ranks and how to adress people by the time RSP comes around. I dont want to be "that guy" who is completely confused. Thanks.
            I think every RSD is different. BUT, at my RSD, rank is drilled and drilled and drilled! I definitely advise that you know the different ranks. Also, we go over the seven army values (Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage) almost every day. The general orders are also another popular test.

General Order #1:

I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved.

General Order #2

I will obey my special orders and perform all my duties in a military manner.

General Order #3:

I will report violations of my special orders, emergencies and anything not covered in my instructions to the commander of the relief.

BUT, overall, don't stress. If it is your first drill, you will be in a classroom all day with a battle book, learning about this stuff. Just try and learn it as fast as you can and as accurately as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Rmontero11 View Post
              As said....everyone's is different; you'll be fine....EVERYONE (who is new) will most likely be completely confused. Trust me, they'll tell you EXACTLY what they want you to do.

1. It would help to be familiar with the ranks, time, etc.

2. Do not call Sgt's 'sir' or 'ma'am'...it's 'yes, Sgt' or 'no, Sgt'

3. Day one, at least for me, was 'death by Power Point' going through the Battle Book and there was a big emphasis on Suicide and Sexual Harassment Prevention.

4. You'll learn how to stand in formation, attention and parade rest (note: you stand at parade rest when addressing an NCO)

5. You'll probably also do some PT and some cleaning; some RSP's go to chapel. Our Master Sgt is the pastor at his local church so we go there; its pretty generalized and non-denominational.

6. DO NOT take contraband - some RSP's have an 'amnesty turn in period' first thing so people can turn in their cell phones, etc.

7. When they DO tell you to do something....HUSTLE

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post

3. Day one, at least for me, was 'death by Power Point' going through the Battle Book and there was a big emphasis on Suicide and Sexual Harassment Prevention.
                Yes, death by powerpoint is really the only way to describe red phase.
                Try not to fall asleep. Anyone who fell asleep got stuck doing pushups until the drill sergeant "felt they were awake".

Comment

Originally posted by bettywhite View Post
                  Yes, death by powerpoint is really the only way to describe red phase.
                  Try not to fall asleep. Anyone who fell asleep got stuck doing pushups until the drill sergeant "felt they were awake".
                  One kid in my class was dozing off so they just made him stand in he back and asked to GO stand in the back whenever he felt he might be dozing off again......no push ups though.

I still wouldn't recommend falling asleep though!

Comment

My first RSP weekend is in 2 weeks. I'm required to know the Solider's Creed as well as ranks. Nothing else... YET.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                      One kid in my class was dozing off so they just made him stand in he back and asked to GO stand in the back whenever he felt he might be dozing off again......no push ups though.

I still wouldn't recommend falling asleep though!
                      No one will hate on you if you stand up and move to the side of the room. Better to be safe..then VERY sorry.

Comment

Some other things to know....

The Army's Birthday

The Army Song

The Phonetic Alphabet

Soldiers Creed as stated prior

The Warrior Ethos

Rank Structure

General Orders

Think about doing stripes for skills too

Comment