Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding Airborne to contract before shipping?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Airborne to contract before shipping?

I am currently in RSP. I didn't get Airborne in my contract(they weren't even giving out Kickers so I assume they defensibly had no $ for Airborne at the time.) I have read that you can add or change your contract at the final trip to MEPS right before shipping to Basic. Could I possibly add Airborne to my contract during my final trip to MEPS if there is a slot? My recruiter said that you can only go to AB school through your unit, but I'm not sure if he's being truthful. Thanks for any answers.

Re: Adding Airborne to contract before shipping?

You have already signed the contract.
    Now you're going to have to earn an Airborne spot.
    How you ask... after you get back from IET, represent your unit in the Best Warrior Competition and win the event; you'll get a Golden Ticket; to any school; if you still want it, pick Airborne. That's how my state works.

Comment

Originally posted by ABurris92 View Post
      I am currently in RSP. I didn't get Airborne in my contract(they weren't even giving out Kickers so I assume they defensibly had no $ for Airborne at the time.) I have read that you can add or change your contract at the final trip to MEPS right before shipping to Basic. Could I possibly add Airborne to my contract during my final trip to MEPS if there is a slot? My recruiter said that you can only go to AB school through your unit, but I'm not sure if he's being truthful. Thanks for any answers.
      Check the Search button on here... This question has been asked many, many times before.

BLUF- Don't think you are going to get it added into your contract now. That chance is done and they rarely do that anyway. Go to basic and AIT, do well, and then go back to your home station unit and request through them. Most states aren't sending people to the HOOAH schools currently anyway until some sort of budget is passed. But that's the way you'll get it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Squash View Post
        You have already signed the contract.
        Now you're going to have to earn an Airborne spot.
        How you ask... after you get back from IET, represent your unit in the Best Warrior Competition and win the event; you'll get a Golden Ticket; to any school; if you still want it, pick Airborne.

BEST WARRIOR COMPETITION

July 19, 2010

Soldiers in full combat gear, temperatures in the high 90s, and obstacles around every corner was the setting for the Military District of Washington’s Best Warrior Competition at Fort Belvoir from July 12-16.

The Best Warrior Competition was set in place to identify the best Soldier and non commissioned officer throughout the Military District of Washington.
        “All the candidates arrived motivated and continued to show that motivation throughout the entire competition. I was glad I was able to provide an opportunity for them to excel and advance their careers and a chance for them to show everyone they are the best of the best,” said Sgt. First Class William Cramer, competition coordinator.

The first day of competition started early in the morning of the 12th at 8 a.m., and consisted of Soldiers doing a written essay and a multiple choice exam over standard army questions. Later Soldiers moved on to compete in standard Army physical fitness test. Finally the Soldiers had to go to a traditional army board.
        “The competition was pretty tough. The combative tournament was a challenge. Everyone did their best,” said Sgt. Enes Memic, 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), competitor.

The most stringent part of the entire competition was the last day. The Soldiers had to ruck six miles during the day, stopping at designated points completing particular soldier taskings. Once the soldiers completed all 12 tasks they rucked six more miles back to the start point. One such tasking was to carry six, five-gallon jugs of water for 75 meters in no more than three trips.

“The water cans from the obstacle course were impossible. Honestly carrying them point to point was the hardest part,” said Memic. The competition wasn’t all about heartache. Even though it was tough the Soldiers did find some high points to the competition.

“I enjoyed shooting the most on the engagement skill trainer(EST) range. The individual movement tech lane was cool because you are moving under fire,” said Memic.
        The entire competition started with 26 candidates, Sgt. Enes Memic and Pfc. Drew Hilliard of The Old Guard won Soldier and NCO of the year, for the Military District of Washington.

Comment

Roger that Sir. Will do before posting next time.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post

The first day of competition started early in the morning of the 12th at 8 a.m.

Wow...yeah...they started sooooo early. lol Shouldn't it be half way over by 8?

Comment

Well the pic is someone from USACAPOC... weapon not in any "ready status" as carried, wierd way of wearing the Kevlar helmet, oh and lets not forget the octopus tentacles... OK, this was not the give-away, it was the patch (wore it at one time) - but you have to give the soldier this - he has a very "mean" look on his face; I can only imagine what he must be thinking - heck, I would not think twice about getting out of his way if I was in his path;^)

I am sure the start time was to ensure adequate "beauty" sleep... and from the looks of it, this guy needed a few more hours..
              Last edited by LRSU_Dog; March 10th, 2011, 12:51 AM.

Comment

OK OK OK I know my last post was off topic...

Getting Airborne school on your contract with the ARNG is going to be mostly dependant on if your unit is on "active" jump status. As the LT pointed out, this topic has been covered many times, and since you responded with a "roger" to that I am sure you have found a multitude of threads/posts on this subject. Do your best, and even if it is a long haul to get Airborne qualified, keep the faith and carry yourself as a Paratrooper would at all times - and you could get there.

Comment

Thank You LRSU_Dog. I feel dumb because I don't remember if I even asked for it at MEPS. But like I said earlier, I doubt it would have happened because the Guard rarely does it, and my state wasn't even offering Kickers, so they were obviously low on funds. My goal now is to be an Honor Grad at Basic with 300 PT Scores so I can get a slot, and still go right after Basic. I'm also planning to do ROTC so I could also go through that.

Comment

Thank You LRSU_Dog. I feel dumb because I don't remember if I even asked for it at MEPS. But like I said earlier, I doubt it would have happened because the Guard rarely does it, and my state wasn't even offering Kickers, so they were obviously low on funds. My goal now is to be an Honor Grad at Basic with 300 PT Scores so I can get a slot, and still go right after Basic. I'm also planning to do ROTC so I could also go through that.
                    Don't feel dumb, most people don't know better and you're right, you probably wouldn't have gotten it. Max your PT, and try to get it through Basic and AIT. If not, ROTC hands the slots out to their best, so work hard. If you want it bad enough, you will find a way to get it.

Comment

You're right. I will do my best at Basic. I know a 300 PT score is possible for me, so I will be working hard in preparation for Basic. I'd prefer to go into ROTC will the jump wings already on my chest, but if not then yes ROTC is another way to get Airborne. Thanks for the insight Sir.

Comment

I went to ROTC with nothing, and got my Airborne wings from them. No shame in it. Only thing that ***** is you don't get paid for it as a cadet lol

Comment

Even more motivation to get a slot during IET lol. And once you commission you can go to even more after OBC correct? Like Air Assault, Ranger, and Pathfinder. I'm planning to go Active Duty also and I've heard that helps.

Comment

Even more motivation to get a slot during IET lol. And once you commission you can go to even more after OBC correct? Like Air Assault, Ranger, and Pathfinder. I'm planning to go Active Duty also and I've heard that helps.
                            You're always afforded the ability to request to go to any school you want. Airborne, air assault, ranger, pathfinder, etc. Just depends on the unit's slots and funding. But keep in mind there are alot of good schools that don't come with badges that you should look into for development. Don't only look for schools that are a badge on the uniform...

Comment

Well said. Thank you for the insight Sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X