X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry Alternatives @ BCT

I found this out during RSP drill, so I guess I'll post this in here. During hygiene, a Pfc told me the best thing to do is NOT to opt to have your laundry done. Wash your own laundry or take a chance on (A) getting your clothes lost and/or but not limited to (B) having your ACU's come back all shrunken and faded.

He told me about going to the PX to get this box of sheets that look like Bounce fabric softener sheets but you use them in the place of laundry liquid detergent or powder. We didn't have time to go into detail about how effective it is due to the DS frequently coming through the locker room rushing us to get back to the drill hall. But I would think if he went through the trouble to tell me all this it must be worth the investment.

I was also advised by an NCO not to buy up a bunch of marked up junk at the PX when they issue you your Eagle card, which is only $250-$300. Buy simple stuff like shower gel, boxers, socks, and toothpaste from the dollar store. Trust me--the merchandise at the PX is marked up about 200%.
    Last edited by VICEROY06; March 7th, 2011, 04:21 PM.

Re: Laundry Alternatives @ BCT

The PX prices are slightly more expensive, but I wouldn't go as far as saying 200%. When I went to Benning we didn't have the option to have our laundry done for us, so we did it ourselves. The laundry sheets were garbage, especially if you spend any time in the field.

Fabric softener sheets, however, are fantastic. Then you can smell bounty fresh after you do your laundry.

Comment

If you can't get laundry service, do it yourself and guard it with your life. If you aren't there when the washer or dryer finishes, someone else WILL take your clothes out and toss them somewhere.

Comment

You'll lose things with the laundry service, but you'll lose things to your battle buddies if you do it yourself. Write your name on every one of your socks, your PT's, your tan t-shirts, everything with sharpie. Even then, someone will still jack your stuff (sometimes unintentionally, I came home with a white sock labeled 'BATES.' Hint, that's not my last name.). I never had a problem with my stuff coming back shrunken or faded from the laundry service. I used the service and did my own laundry. You're going to be limited by your available time, the amount of dryers, and everyone else wanting to wash their clothes if you do your own.

Hanson is right, most of those detergent sheets are terrible. They never got my stuff clean. And you're not really going to have a lot of options at the reception PX. I know at ours there was maybe two types of shampoo/conditioner, two kinds of deordorant (male/female), etc. Just buy what you actually need. Remember, it's coming out of your pay and you have to carry everything you buy.

Comment

while you're busy buying stuff at the PX, don't forget cushioned insoles for your boots. Best $ I ever spent at basic. cheap too, at least way back when.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanson View Post
            The PX prices are slightly more expensive, but I wouldn't go as far as saying 200%. When I went to Benning we didn't have the option to have our laundry done for us, so we did it ourselves. The laundry sheets were garbage, especially if you spend any time in the field.

Fabric softener sheets, however, are fantastic. Then you can smell bounty fresh after you do your laundry.
            The 200% was just an exageration on my behalf. Nevertheless, I've been to several PX locations, particularly, in Virginia, and noticed a pack of t-shirts or socks costing a couple dollars more than what you would pay at Wal-mart. As for the laundry sheets, I kinda felt like they wouldn't be all that useful especially if you had a full load of sweaty clothes. Maybe the guy doubled up on the detergent sheets. At any rate, I'll be shipping to Benning next month, so I'll be looking for alternatives to the bulky boxes and bottles of detergent.

Comment

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
              You'll lose things with the laundry service, but you'll lose things to your battle buddies if you do it yourself. Write your name on every one of your socks, your PT's, your tan t-shirts, everything with sharpie. Even then, someone will still jack your stuff (sometimes unintentionally, I came home with a white sock labeled 'BATES.' Hint, that's not my last name.). I never had a problem with my stuff coming back shrunken or faded from the laundry service. I used the service and did my own laundry. You're going to be limited by your available time, the amount of dryers, and everyone else wanting to wash their clothes if you do your own.

Hanson is right, most of those detergent sheets are terrible. They never got my stuff clean. And you're not really going to have a lot of options at the reception PX. I know at ours there was maybe two types of shampoo/conditioner, two kinds of deordorant (male/female), etc. Just buy what you actually need. Remember, it's coming out of your pay and you have to carry everything you buy.
              'Bates' is probably sitting at home with a sock labeled 'Jones'.

Reminds me of the time I was washing my clothes when I was a freshman in college. I'm folding my laundry when I come across a pair of tiny bikini panties with little strawberries peppered all over them. Some cute little college girl obviously didn't take the time to check the dryer before leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                The 200% was just an exageration on my behalf. Nevertheless, I've been to several PX locations, particularly, in Virginia, and noticed a pack of t-shirts or socks costing a couple dollars more than what you would pay at Wal-mart. As for the laundry sheets, I kinda felt like they wouldn't be all that useful especially if you had a full load of sweaty clothes. Maybe the guy doubled up on the detergent sheets. At any rate, I'll be shipping to Benning next month, so I'll be looking for alternatives to the bulky boxes and bottles of detergent.
                You're comparing it to WalMart of all places. They aren't too bad on small items. But you'll definitely spend more on electronics at a PX than most places.

PS-There is a multiquote button.

Comment

At my co at Ft Jackson we were told we had to use the laundry service but we were told to just send our acus in to them because they didnt want us ruining the washers and dryers there. Personally I thought the laundry company ******. People had things missing all the time. I had 1 bag of laundry i sent in and never got it back

Comment

Working...
                  X