X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warming up

At first I thought I should have posted this in the health and fitness forum. Then I figured this is more of a readiness type deal rather than a fitness issue. Here's the problem: This is my second drill and I'm winded after every little exercise or after being smoked. However, I yield above average results everyday at the gym.

So, how the h e l l am I so great in the gym but it's like I'm out of shape at drill? At the end of drill today I started thinking to myself--hey--my warm-ups last around 15 to 30 minutes before I even begin my workout. I've trained for so long this way my body just does not respond if I have to perform on the spot after either only a couple minutes of drill exercises or no warm-up at all. So, here's the plan: When I go to drill tomorrow morning at 0645 I'm going to warm up in the parking lot about 20 minutes before I report to drill.

I also figured someone may be/ may have been going through the same ordeal, which is why I decided to post this. I'll post results after drill tomorrow. HOOAH!

Re: Warming up

Sounds like a good idea, Viceroy. Also, try adding some of the same exercises you have to do while getting smoked into your regular workout. It's possible you're just not using the same muscles.

Let us now if your warm-up plan helps!

Comment

Re: Warming up

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
      Sounds like a good idea, Viceroy. Also, try adding some of the same exercises you have to do while getting smoked into your regular workout. It's possible you're just not using the same muscles.

Let us now if your warm-up plan helps!
      I sprinted a half mile about 15 minutes before drill. My heart was nice and pumped by 0645. Seeing as I'm a part of white phase now we did the full range of warm-up exercises. I blew through the exercises with no effort. During the 2-2-2 I performed 53 push-ups. I could have done more but one of the sergeants kept throwing my count off trying to make sure I did each push-up perfectly. I only did 46 sit-ups. The mat we used slid forward every time I came up, so I had to overcompensate. Next drill I'm opting not to use the mat.

I ran the mile in 8 minutes flat. However, the second mile I was focusing so hard on beating a basic trainee to the finish line and the drill instructors were all screaming so loud nobody called out the time. But one of the sergeants called me out and said: "You did pretty good for an old man!!" For those people that say traditional running is better than running on the treadmill they are wrong. I practiced sprinting on the treadmill until I got my time down to at least 8 minutes 50 seconds. 4 laps on the digital track is equal to 1 mile. I did all my extended cardio exclusively on the elliptical--hands and arms at 100% for an hour straight.

At the end of PT the DS had us fall in and told the detachment he was proud of us. We were stunned with joy, particularly, considering last month the same DS smoked the white phase guys for an hour straight because they all failed the 2 mile.

Comment

Working...
      X