Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Juvenile Felony

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Juvenile Felony

    I am now 28 years old but when I was a juvenile I pleaded guilty to a felony listed on the disqualifying list. Am I therefore ineligible? Or does it being a juvenile conviction help me? Normally I would think the juvenile record would not matter but on the online application it did ask about juvenile convictions. Thank you for any replies.

  • #2
    Re: Juvenile Felony

    Originally posted by badam View Post
    I am now 28 years old but when I was a juvenile I pleaded guilty to a felony listed on the disqualifying list. Am I therefore ineligible? Or does it being a juvenile conviction help me? Normally I would think the juvenile record would not matter but on the online application it did ask about juvenile convictions. Thank you for any replies.
    Unfortunatly it matters. I would tak the specifics over with a recrutier.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Juvenile Felony

      Before I start I would like to say 1)this isn't something I did and 2) just because they did it doesn't make it right and you should use your own judgement. I am currently in basic training and there are two guys that I know of who were in a similar situation but they took steps to have there records sealed (I think one of them was even an adult when they were charged but was still able to get it sealed). in doing so they made it so that MEPS couldn't see the conviction or something to that extent, anyways long story short they got in and are at basic but still won't ever be able to have a security clearance. And again I am not telling you to do that however use your best judgement.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Juvenile Felony

        The conviction will show up during a back ground check even if the record is sealed/expunged. Also, you will be questioned about any previous arrests/convictions.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Juvenile Felony

          Talk to a recruiter. All because wikipedia says you are disqualified and can't join, doesn't bring your chances to zero. Honesty and maturity plays a big deal in showing you have learned your lesson. Honest enough to hold yourself accountable and to take responsibility for your past actions even though its possible that you won't get what you want because of it, and be mature enough to show the world that that felony was just a bump in your past that you have learned from. You messed up. We all do, its how you put yourself back together is what really matters.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Juvenile Felony

            Originally posted by dva5222 View Post
            Talk to a recruiter. All because wikipedia says you are disqualified and can't join, doesn't bring your chances to zero. Honesty and maturity plays a big deal in showing you have learned your lesson. Honest enough to hold yourself accountable and to take responsibility for your past actions even though its possible that you won't get what you want because of it, and be mature enough to show the world that that felony was just a bump in your past that you have learned from. You messed up. We all do, its how you put yourself back together is what really matters.
            Because we all know the miltary uses wiki for everything.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Juvenile Felony

              That or Yahoo Answers.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Juvenile Felony

                Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                The conviction will show up during a back ground check even if the record is sealed/expunged. Also, you will be questioned about any previous arrests/convictions.
                This is not always true. There isn't one cookie cutter way to do a background check, and there also isn't just one place to look. Many things to not show up, depending on who, how and where they are looking.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Juvenile Felony

                  If you are ever fingerprinted, it does show up on the FBI check. I just had a guy that was fingerprinted coming back across the border from Mexico. He was never even charged with anything, but guess what? it came back on the FBI check. Sealed, dismissed, it doesn't matter. If you were fingerprinted, it comes back on the FBI check every time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Juvenile Felony

                    Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                    If you are ever fingerprinted, it does show up on the FBI check. I just had a guy that was fingerprinted coming back across the border from Mexico. He was never even charged with anything, but guess what? it came back on the FBI check. Sealed, dismissed, it doesn't matter. If you were fingerprinted, it comes back on the FBI check every time.
                    If the charges were straight up dismissed it would be pretty irrelevant anyways, considering we dont really care about that. Anyways...not all arrests and charges come with fingerprints.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Juvenile Felony

                      That would actually make sense, but even if it was dismissed they still must list it as a previous charge. If they don't list the charge when they enlist (Dismissed or not), they are looking at a possible discharge when the FBI check comes back.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Juvenile Felony

                        BLUF: Be honest with your recruiter about your situation. If you play word games about it, it will come up and you come out the loser in the situation.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Juvenile Felony

                          Just an update: I received a call this morning verifying my login information, the operator also decided to check my eligibility and with this I was deemed ineligible. She said they were not giving waivers for this at the tie and to try another quarter. My Path To Honor account has also been disabled so I couldnt finish the rest of the sections to have a recruiter contact me. I will most likely try finding a local recruiter and see if local areas are giving waivers but it doesnt look good, but I tried. Thank you for the responses.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Juvenile Felony

                            Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                            BLUF: Be honest with your recruiter about your situation. If you play word games about it, it will come up and you come out the loser in the situation.
                            I am not contesting that this is probably the best advice..but i drives me crazy when people say it WILL show up/come up. There is no way you can know that. You don't know where the charge was, how it was reported, or where it was reported. There are many things that are not entered into NCIC. It is probable that it could show...but you don't know that it WILL.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Juvenile Felony

                              Honestly if I was this guy I would request a copy of my own FBI background check. Your local PD can fingerprint you. It cost like 15 dollars, then you can see what they will actually see. If they are sending it to you, it will include any entry ever made. (Including expungemnets, etc.)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X