X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant pick my job?

My name is tom and i have been through the path to honor and everything. my question is about picking my MOS. My recruiter told me that i needed a unit to sign my med waiver so we could submit it. now I am being told that the unit that signed it is forcing me into a perticular MOS.

I scored very well on my ASVAB so i could atleast try to get a good job. if this is the way a Waiver works then it is news to me.

please advise on wether or not this is SOP.

best regardes,
    tom

Re: cant pick my job?

beggars can't be choosers, if the unit signed off on a waiver, then they are saying they'll accept you into a certain position. You can take it or leave it.

Comment

ok. idk what the odds are but i will try to reclass to a differant mos at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabe01 View Post
        ok. idk what the odds are but i will try to reclass to a differant mos at a later date.
        Good luck. In today's over strength and downsizing military......you'll likely have few, if any options.

Comment

none the less. . . . a guys gotta try. thanks for the quick replies.

Comment

none the less. . . . a guys gotta try. thanks for the quick replies.
            Either wait it out or go to a nearby state and try there. With the Guard or any reserve component; MOS options are more limited than deciding to serve on active duty. If that is your ultimate wish than just getting in the Guard regardless; then keep on trying with these approaches.

Comment

My buddy is putting a girl in right now that needs no waivers and scored a 75 on her ASVAB and her only option is 88M. People just have to take what they can get if they want to enlist right now.

Comment

my goal is to make a career out of the army. reason im going guard first is so i can take care of home issues before i just up and leave. im 21 yo and scored 83% on my asvab and i just dont want to get stuck in a MOS isnt my speed.

like most recruits im just dont want to start on the wrong foot.

thanks

Comment

Luckily, the military is very good at instilling pride in every MOS as they train you to standard. Right now the military is going through a phase that it's been through many times before. At some point in your career, things will relax and more opportunities will open up, allowing you to try and shift your career in another direction. It is not uncommon for soldiers to hold more than 1 MOS. Even within their first 8 year term.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                    beggars can't be choosers, if the unit signed off on a waiver, then they are saying they'll accept you into a certain position. You can take it or leave it.
                    This is what I would have said.
                    Your ASVAB score may allow you to change your MOS later though. Check with one of your superiors.

Comment

It is not the Unit.

When NGB Approves Medical waivers it is submitted with a MOS Listed.

They are approving the said medical condition for you to enter as that MOS.

Changing MOS will cause the waiver to no longer be valid and then you will have to have the waiver submitted for approval again for another waiver.

Comment

update: My sargent was able to work some magic to get me the 21b slot i was looking for! and i found out on tuesday that me wavier request was approved! i go to meps on the 24th.

anyone been to ft. dix meps? ideas on what to expect?

Comment

update: My sargent was able to work some magic to get me the 21b slot i was looking for! and i found out on tuesday that me wavier request was approved! i go to meps on the 24th.

anyone been to ft. dix meps? ideas on what to expect?
                          Congratulations. I am waiting to see uf the NGB will allow me to go take the ohysical - I had shoulder surgery in 1998. I read one of your posts that you met with a unit and they allowed you to get a waiver? I have never heard of it going that way. Should I have my recruiter find an mos for me (I will literally take anything just to get a chance to serve) and have me go talk to the unit?

Comment

no. your recruiter will talk to the units on his own. you do not need to contact any one. your best bet is just to get in touch with you recruiter and tell him exactly what you want. talk it over with him regarding what is available vs. what you want.

Comment

I commend you for your military career choice Tom - good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X