X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Army National Guard Pilot

Why don't you make a phone call to the warrant officer recruiter for that state.

I hear they have really good chaplains in VA, btw.

http://vko.va.ngb.army.mil/VirginiaG...osm/index.html
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 25th, 2011, 05:14 PM.

Virginia Army National Guard Pilot

I am a 30 year old civilian firefighter with the DOD. I want to join the Va Guard and eventually be a UH-60 Pilot. I would like to know what is the best way to go about doing this. I don't have a college degree so I was told to enlist and go into the Aviation branch as a mechanic or in Operations, then put in for WOCS. Is this correct ? just looking for some direction, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Re: Virginia Army National Guard Pilot

Originally posted by Bradley230 View Post
      I am a 30 year old civilian firefighter with the DOD. I want to join the Va Guard and eventually be a UH-60 Pilot. I would like to know what is the best way to go about doing this. I don't have a college degree so I was told to enlist and go into the Aviation branch as a mechanic or in Operations, then put in for WOCS. Is this correct ? just looking for some direction, any info would be greatly appreciated.
      Your insight is pretty much spot on. However, if your sole desire is to fly, I would talk to the recruiter about doing a Class I flight physical when you enlist. The flight physical is more stringent then the enlistment physical, so you don't want something sneaking up on you, as it did with me. I found out why I was a terrible outfielder in highschool, because I have no depth perception. Depth perception is not something, like many other things, tested on a normal military enlistment physical. Just some advice.

Comment

Thank you Staff Sergeant

Comment

If you are already 30, then I recommend looking into other career options. Perhaps you'd like to reclass and serve as a flight medic for our new Medevac detachment. Contact Recruiter SFC Gary ABELE, (804) 328-3000.

Comment

Do you think I wouldn't have enough time to complete all required schools before the age cut off?

Comment

Do you think I wouldn't have enough time to complete all required schools before the age cut off?
              Considering the fact that you are already 30, I'd say you dont have enough time.

From the Warrant Officers Procurement Guide:

The age requirement for rated aviator applicants is 18 to 27.5 years olds. Waivers of maximum age may be granted by the Chief, National Guard Bureau on a case by case basis. Waivers of maximum age for aviator candidates may be approved, but the candidate must start flight training prior to their 30th birthday.
              Last edited by HR NCO; July 25th, 2011, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Thans for the info. I have been reading different max age requirements and was wondering which one was correct. I've read everything from 27 to 33.

Comment

Thans for the info. I have been reading different max age requirements and was wondering which one was correct. I've read everything from 27 to 33.
                  We had people in my WOCS class for rated positions who were in their 40's. I was 28 myself. I know times change, but I don't think all hope is lost with 30. The states I had experience with usually had more seats then medically qualified applicants. I think it can be done, but the board is right. Make sure you ask the current recruiting people in your state about all the x factors so you arent stuck doing something you can do.

My advice is to call the state aviation officer, and talk to him. He is the one that can answer that question with 100 percent certainty.

Comment

I will do that. Thank you for your time SSG.
                    Also, if VA can't work with your age, try surrounding states, they may have a different answer

Comment

I will do that. Thank you for your time SSG.

Comment

Working...
                      X