X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLRP and Aviation WO's

Do those who are selected as WOCs for their state's ARNG aviation unit(s) qualify for the SLRP? The recruiter I'm dealing with isn't sure. He has given me an affirmative for enlisted as well as commissioned but apparently there's a gray area with warrant.

I'm a drilling Marine Reservist not under obligation with nothing currently but GI Bill Chapter 1606 benefits. By the time I'll be done my B.A.S. in April 2012 I'll have roughly $35,000 in debt so obviously that is something that is important to me whether I would get the up to $50,000 in SLRP benefits I'm told exist for guard members.

Sgt P

Re: SLRP and Aviation WO's

Originally posted by 2flywiththeNG View Post
    Do those who are selected as WOCs for their state's ARNG aviation unit(s) qualify for the SLRP? The recruiter I'm dealing with isn't sure. He has given me an affirmative for enlisted as well as commissioned but apparently there's a gray area with warrant.

I'm a drilling Marine Reservist not under obligation with nothing currently but GI Bill Chapter 1606 benefits. By the time I'll be done my B.A.S. in April 2012 I'll have roughly $35,000 in debt so obviously that is something that is important to me whether I would get the up to $50,000 in SLRP benefits I'm told exist for guard members.

Sgt P
    First and foremost, once again a potential recruit has to come here to get answers for lack of knowledge from R&R personel. Nothing can get under my skin worse. In my mind this is unacceptable, so if you are R&R leadership reading this. Do something. Im so tired of idiot recruites not being able to do anything other than say "wanna join"?

Next, the rules for SLRP change all the time. In the recent past it has been that if an enlisted troop had SLRP on contract and became an officer he could elect to keep the SLRP or accept a cash bonus if offered, but not both. (Most programs offer a 10K officer acession bonus).

What also needs to be addressed is that you cannt join the Guard directly into a WOC program. You will have to enlist with an MOS and then apply, however you could enlist for an OCS option.

If you choose to enlist directly into an OCS option understand that your benefits will most likely be different (likely less) then if you were to enlist and apply for OCS at a later time.

Also, your MOS background is important if you eventually choose the WOC route. You will need to meet those prerequisites, which are usually more than OCS because of the technical requirements.

If your recruiter is telling you that you can join as a WOC, please find another recruiter.

Comment

Oh...looking at your screen name I guess you want to fly, so MOS will be irrelevant. However, I would encourage you to take and pass a Class 1 flight physical to ensure you can meet the extra requirements, before you cross over and do alot of work for nothing.

Comment

I've already been in touch with my state's aviation branch point of contact and put together my packet in it's entirety minus a PT test and DD368 Conditional Release which is still pending since MARFORRES is less then reluctant to release any Marines to another "reserve" branch of the military.

The "technicalities" on the education benefits are killing me because nobody, not even recruiters seem to know the exact answer to my question. It's so tantalizing the education benefits that are available to other branches besides the USMCR. It's rather unfortunate for us Marine Reservists to have to watch every other kind of reserve/guard branch openly and willing hand out TA and GI Bill Kicker benefits. Eh, anyway...

I'm not sure how they would do it for aviation whether, if selected by their board, they'd join me to their unit as an enlisted member (allowing me to sign for the SLRP in my contract) and then at the earliest available time send me through the pipeline (WOCS, BOLC, SERE, Dunker, IERW etc.). That would essentially allow me to do what you mentioned would happen to officer candidates, they'd have the option to take a bonus or keep the SLRP. That seems to make the most sense.
        Last edited by 2flywiththeNG; June 22nd, 2011, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2flywiththeNG View Post
          I've already been in touch with my state's aviation branch point of contact and put together my packet in it's entirety minus a PT test and DD368 Conditional Release which is still pending since MARFORRES is less then reluctant to release any Marines to another "reserve" branch of the military.

The "technicalities" on the education benefits are killing me because nobody, not even recruiters seem to know the exact answer to my question. It's so tantalizing the education benefits that are available to other branches besides the USMCR. It's rather unfortunate for us Marine Reservists to have to watch every other kind of reserve/guard branch openly and willing hand out TA and GI Bill Kicker benefits. Eh, anyway...

I'm not sure how they would do it for aviation whether, if selected by their board, they'd join me to their unit as an enlisted member (allowing me to sign for the SLRP in my contract) and then at the earliest available time send me through the pipeline (WOCS, BOLC, SERE, Dunker, IERW etc.). That would essentially allow me to do what you mentioned would happen to officer candidates, they'd have the option to take a bonus or keep the SLRP. That seems to make the most sense.
          The person the hold the no BS answer is the state incentive manager. Usually an E-7 or retired civilian working in R&R command head shed. Call JFHQ and get in touch with them. Ask them yourself so you get the right answer.

Further more, there is a clause that changes things if you enlist for the purposes of AGR, Technician, WO, or Officer. This is what I am saying. My recommendation to you is to enlist in a MOS you are satisfied with. Get as much bennies as you can, then pursue the other stuff.

Even if there is an unofficial "he is accepted" for WO flight training, you are going to have to enlist into a MOS and paragraph and line number anyway. Then they will finalize your WO paperwork, which opens the door for things to fall thru the cracks.

Comment

Each field recruiter has an NCOIC, and each NCOIC has a SGM. Has the recruiter floated this through his chain of command? While this situation is not common, it isn't unique.

I don't begrudge a recruiter not knowing instantly all answers (in fact, I'm glad he didn't make an idle promise that he couldn't back up with references), but I do get angry with recruiters who don't close the loop and resolve the issue. Yes, we may need to crack open a document and read it.

Comment

Working...
            X