X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Special Agent in the Army National Guard

There is also the Counterintelligence (CI) Special Agent route which the guard usually has a few more slots for in various MI units. I am both a civilian police officer and guard CI Special Agent currently on active duty orders in a CI Field Office. The MOS code for CI SA is 35L. Unlike CID, CI only investigates national security crimes such as espionage, sedition, subversion, treason, and international terrorist organizations (in the Air Force and Navy, these two investigative unit types are combined in OSI and NCIS). We also investigate for possible exploitation (not just prosecution).

The selection is similar to CID and also requires a rank of E5 after graduating the Special Agent Course to be accredited as a Special Agent. I think its a rewarding MOS, however the only real problem I see is that at the guard level you really never get to be an agent in an "investigative status" unless you go on an active duty (title 10) mission. This is also unlike CID because even reserve/national guard CID Agents get their badge/credentials and are considered in an investigative status even when not on title 10 orders. This is something we hope can be changed in the future with the state TAG and NGB regarding Guard CI Agents.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu View Post
      I talked to my state WO recruiter, who in turn talked to the CID proponent, a CW5. If you haven't been to CID school as an enlisted soldier, you will not be considered for the WO side.
      Hey battle, thanks for the kind words on my other posts. Been dealing with so much since my return. Usually two years of enlisted CID (as an NCO) is required before applying for WO but there are always exceptions. Proponent will vet the packet to check to see if it will board.

The last Army Times active call to duty was looking heavyly for CID WOs

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/1...r-army-112012/

Warrant officers included are:
      • Chief warrant officers 2 and 3 in specialties 311A (Criminal Investigation Command special agent), 153D (UH-60 pilot) and 153M (UH-60M pilot).
      • 152H (AH-64 pilot) with skill qualification identifier C, H, G or I.
      • Military occupational specialties 154D and 154F (CH-47 pilot) with SQI F, G, H or L.
      • Warrant officers 1 through 5 who hold MOS 150U (unmanned aircraft systems operations technician).
      Officers must meet these criteria:
      • Captains — the active or reserve Captains Career Course.
      • Majors — completion of the applicable active- or reserve-component Intermediate Level Education course.
      • Chief warrant officers 3 in MOS 311A — be graduates of the Warrant Officer Advanced Course; have at least three years time in grade, be accredited special agents, and have at least 60 hours of college credit.
      • Chief warrant officers 2 in MOS 311A — have at least three years time in grade, be accredited special agents and have at least 60 hours of college credit.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; December 9th, 2012, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by braden.stockham View Post
        This is also unlike CID because even reserve/national guard CID Agents get their badge/credentials and are considered in an investigative status even when not on title 10 orders.
        Just wanted to add to this. Army CID specifically prohibits Agents carrying their badge and creds when not on active duty. So unless a USAR agent is activly investigating something, the creds stay locked up at the unit. A national guard agent is issued a second set of credentials from the state, for conducting investigations in a Title 32 status. Their true Army CID creds also remain locked up at the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          Just wanted to add to this. Army CID specifically prohibits Agents carrying their badge and creds when not on active duty. So unless a USAR agent is activly investigating something, the creds stay locked up at the unit. A national guard agent is issued a second set of credentials from the state, for conducting investigations in a Title 32 status. Their true Army CID creds also remain locked up at the unit.
          I have two friends who are guard CID agents, I had no idea they had two different sets of creds... Interesting. For CI Special Agents, we don't have any "state creds" just active duty ones. I have actually met quite a few CI Agents who have never even seen there badge & credentials because they have never been on Title 10 orders (came from a different MOS and reclassed into 35L in the guard).

FYI: We have WO's as well who like CID either take the role of a Special Agent in Charge or Operations Officer. The WO MOS for CI SA is 351L.

Comment

Originally posted by braden.stockham View Post
            I have two friends who are guard CID agents, I had no idea they had two different sets of creds... Interesting. For CI Special Agents, we don't have any "state creds" just active duty ones. I have actually met quite a few CI Agents who have never even seen there badge & credentials because they have never been on Title 10 orders (came from a different MOS and reclassed into 35L in the guard).

FYI: We have WO's as well who like CID either take the role of a Special Agent in Charge or Operations Officer. The WO MOS for CI SA is 351L.
            We have only three states that have CID units. All three may not issue a second set, but I know for a fact that CA does. They are drawn off the authority of the TAG because title 32 agents would have no authority to investigate violations of the UCMJ since the guard is not subject to the code. So in order to enforce what ever state code they have, they must be empowered to do so, hence they have a second set of creds.

Comment

Working...
            X