X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Agent in the Army National Guard

I was wondering how many Warrant Officer specialty fields there are? I heard CID special agent was an interesting field of law enforcement. What type of degrees is required to become a special agent? Is this field very similar to a State Government or Federal level law enforcement?

Re: Special Agent in the Army National Guard

Start here: http://www.cid.army.mil/

Comment

I talked to my state WO recruiter, who in turn talked to the CID proponent, a CW5. If you haven't been to CID school as an enlisted soldier, you will not be considered for the WO side.

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu View Post
        I talked to my state WO recruiter, who in turn talked to the CID proponent, a CW5. If you haven't been to CID school as an enlisted soldier, you will not be considered for the WO side.
        There are two exceptions. Those who are MPI (Military Police Investigator) experience, and other civilian Federal Agents. If you are an ATF agent and they allow you to be in the Guard, CID will consider you for WO.

Comment

That's good news then. The recruiter told me of a soldier who was DEA agent who was denied, but again this was late '09 - early '10.

Para, to your knowledge, has the Guard reduced or eliminated the college requirement? I believe at the time it was 60 credits at one time.

Comment

Wobby, find out who the proponent is for RC warrant accessions and contact him about your chances. Also, see if can't contact a local CID det commander and ask about your chances.

I saw an e-mail where he's really cracking down and not wanting to see substandard packets come through (I know, I've looked into reverting to CID WO as well).

Comment

It would depend on their numbers as usual with any thing else. Generally speaing in this field the requirements are the same for all three components, CID couldn't be any more picky but they can waive to 60 credits. Chances of getting this position unless you are a current or very recent enlisted agent are very slim to none. I have never seen a commisioned officer revert to CID warrant, as they do in many career fields. You have to remember you will essentially be a team leader/lead investigator for a team of federal agents. I worked as a CID intern trying to get into the program before all the deployment hype started back in 2001. Greatest job in the Army as far as I am concerned. On active duty you are wearing regular clothes everyday, don't release your rank, gun goes home with you, off duty carry is authorized, federal badge and credentials, and your jurisdiciton doesn't stop at the gate. Worked with the local FBI agents alot too.

My talks with some of the National Guard CID guys have revelead that the state, with also give you a set of credentials from the TAG to investigate while in a state status. California actually has some AGR CID.

Comment

Thanks for the info, gents.

I agree that it will probably depend on how recent the schooling and case work was (mine began pre-Desert Storm - YIKES!), AND as a Jarhead no less. Talk about a double whammy. Not to mention that Marine CID runs mostly the same type of work as MPI (read: no felony crimes) as they are referred to NCIS.

But on the other side of the coin, there have been two WO slots here in Georgia that have remained unmanned since 2005(?), give or take. Both are with a MEB: one a Protection Officer and the other a Criminal Intel slot.

I'm in mobilization mode right now, but I'll reach out to the recruiter about 6 months out from de-mob to see what he says.
                Last edited by Wobbly Emu; March 17th, 2011, 01:02 AM.

Comment

I agree that it will probably depend on how recent the schooling and case work was (mine began pre-Desert Storm - YIKES!), AND as a Jarhead no less. Talk about a double whammy. Not to mention that Marine CID runs mostly the same type of work as MPI (read: no felony crimes) as they are referred to NCIS.

But on the other side of the coin, there have been two WO slots here in Georgia that have remained unmanned since 2005(?), give or take. Both are with a MEB: one a Protection Officer and the other a Criminal Intel slot.

I'm in mobilization mode right now, but I'll reach out to the recruiter about 6 months out from de-mob to see what he says.
                  You really need to reach out to CID Accredidation branch. With this MOS, recruiters have zero say.

Comment

I thought the Marines were under NIS/NCIS. Learned something new again.

Comment

I have never seen a commisioned officer revert to CID warrant, as they do in many career fields.
                      I talked to the CW5 proponent for active duty and she said they have had a few CPT's revert but it's rare becuase they usually lack the technical knowledge.

Talking with both AC/RC warrants, it's really your resume that sells your packet.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                        I thought the Marines were under NIS/NCIS. Learned something new again.
                        They do now, but it hasnt always been that way. There used to be an actual Marine CID that was absorbed by NCIS.

Comment

I know it's been some time since this thread has been used, but I'm trying to find out if there is a CID unit in the Indiana ARNG. I'm a prior AD airborne infantryman, have my BA, and am now a LEO for the state. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by AirborneInfantry82 View Post
                            I know it's been some time since this thread has been used, but I'm trying to find out if there is a CID unit in the Indiana ARNG. I'm a prior AD airborne infantryman, have my BA, and am now a LEO for the state. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
                            The only states that have ARNG CID are TX, CA, MO.

The only CID Field office in Indiana is a civilian office that does fraud investigations.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply/bad news!

Comment

Working...
                              X