X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about SF Training Timeline

First off, thanks to all who have been posting on this forum—great information to add to the kit and to supplement the recruiting sites/REC PAM. If you'll entertain me, I have a few questions about the officer training pipeline. It seems to vary unit-by-unit and case-by-case. Background: 2LT (1LT this month), school-trained MI guy, and prior enlisted as an 11B.

1) Is the Maneuver Captain's Career Course still required to be taken in residence? I ask because the MC3 for the reserve component has evolved a bit and many NG IN officers will have gone through some or all of the RC-MC3 already.

2) If it is, then would this be a separate PCS move after SFAS, followed by another PCS to QC?

3) I've noticed that in some of your posts you emphasize the general officer requirements as being O-2 or O-3 with "sufficient experience" in your branch. Does the 1LT promotable requirement still apply, or does it depend on the unit, state, and person as to how long you've been an O-2?

4) Is Ranger School still a fixed stop in the pipeline, or do I go after returning to the unit? I'm asking these questions to get a handle on the timeline.

5) Are there any other additions or omissions compared to the enlisted track that would affect the course scope and time frame? I'm guessing that additional requirements like the short tab and MC3, plus having fewer 18As in general, create some lag between phases.

6) How full is the MTO&E in the National Guard for taking officers (within A 1/19 SFG, for example)? In other words, how competitive is the slot just based on logistics?

7) Lastly, where do 18As go after their team time? Three years of training is a lot to spend on the most temporary member of the team, but in the active component there were slots to fill in an ODB or group support. I'm not sure how company to field grade progression works in the NG.

Thanks much. I wanted to post to the forum versus PM in case others had similar questions. Appreciate your time!

Re: Special Forces Training Timeline

To answer your questions:

1. The SWCS guidance on the Career Course is that is has to be the "resident" Maneuver Captains Career Course (Ft. Benning). There is a possibility of a waiver, if the candidate has attended another resident Career Course, stating that their Career Course and experience have adequately provided MDMP knowledge.

2. MCCC is a TDY to Ft. Benning

3. Most SF units will require at least 1LT, preferably promotable.

4. Ranger school has generally been based on the command. Some units like to see it on a resume, but most will tell guys to go when they finish the course, if they still desire. Ranger School has never been part of the SF pipeline.

5. Other than MCCC/SOCCC and Airborne School, there are no other courses involved before SFODCQC.

6. Generally, most NG states with only SF companies are full, but other larger footprint states (AL, MS, FL, WV, and UT) are not full on the 18A side.

7. Like the limited 18A slots, within non-HQ states everyone will eventually compete for the O-4 company command position. Within AL, MS, FL, CO, and UT 18As have some upward mobility within the staff. Within the line company states, 18As will have to spend some time at a conventional unit until the O-4 command position opens up or request inter-state transfer.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; September 19th, 2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Re: Special Forces Training Timeline

Thanks for your quick and complete response!

Comment

Re: Special Forces Training Timeline - On a calendar?

How continuous is the training pipeline for NPS? Are all of the first 4 phases scheduled back-to-back or are they scheduled one at a time with gaps in between? Is another form of income (civ job, savings, etc.) necessary between training phases?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by NathanM View Post
          How continuous is the training pipeline for NPS? Are all of the first 4 phases scheduled back-to-back or are they scheduled one at a time with gaps in between? Is another form of income (civ job, savings, etc.) necessary between training phases?

Good question,
          The NPS training pipeline is continuous/back-to-back. There are no breaks between courses. There is some down time during some of the courses, but not to allow you to return home for any length of time.

Comment

Thank you for your quick response, that's actually what I was hoping to hear (read?). Is the same true about the move from SFAS (pending selection) to SFQC and have I gotten the correct impression that SFQC is considered one continuous course, or are each of the phases technically separate, independent courses?

Thank you again for your input,

Comment

Once selected at SFAS, you will process for SFQC. SFQC is considered one continuous course, but technically each phase is its own separate element. Meaning, you must pass the prior phase before continuing to the next. But, they are not independent courses that can be taken apart from SFQC.

The one exception is SERE-C. Which is a course/school that has class dates for certain service members that are not part of SFQC.
              Last edited by SF Hunter; October 28th, 2011, 02:22 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                Good question,
                The NPS training pipeline is continuous/back-to-back. There are no breaks between courses. There is some down time during some of the courses, but not to allow you to return home for any length of time.
                I now have 99 week IADT orders and an initial ship date. The additional Training on my Orders contains Pre SF and SFAS - Report date TBD. There is no way for me to finish Airborne before May, but according to ATRRS (as long as I identified the prep course correctly) there are no class start dates after April until August. Will I be assigned to detail at Benning or Bragg or will I be temporarily returned to my unit and will my IADT orders cover this hold-over or will they be temporarily suspended? Should I consider trying to have my initial ship date pushed back to shorten this hold-over, or could I try to get Home Town Recruiting during this time?

Thank you,

Comment

Originally posted by NathanM View Post
                  I now have 99 week IADT orders and an initial ship date. The additional Training on my Orders contains Pre SF and SFAS - Report date TBD. There is no way for me to finish Airborne before May, but according to ATRRS (as long as I identified the prep course correctly) there are no class start dates after April until August. Will I be assigned to detail at Benning or Bragg or will I be temporarily returned to my unit and will my IADT orders cover this hold-over or will they be temporarily suspended? Should I consider trying to have my initial ship date pushed back to shorten this hold-over, or could I try to get Home Town Recruiting during this time?

Thank you,
                  This is a question that is best answered by your recruiter.
                  Its true that they usually don't have SF prep courses during the hottest months of the year. So yes, you might want to push back your initial ship date to shorten any hold-over time between Airborne and SF Prep (SFPC)
                  Last edited by SF Hunter; May 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X