X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Forces in the Guard..

Hey guys! Had a few questions on SF if you can answer them before i pick my MOS. Can you go straight into SF like the regular army in the guard? Its 18X series right you learn all of the specialties , Im a medic in Civilian life and would like to be 18D . I talked to a family member who is in regular army and he said you can go straight into SF its like 1 and a couple months training after BCT and AIT as 11B, but you go to airborne, and other specialty schools. I hear its really challenging to be in SF and would like to give it all heart and soul into being special forces. i scored 1 point below GT score 109 instead of 110 so i need to retake asvab but will do in 3 weeks. I am in shape and wanted to know what i can do to prepare for SF if i can do it of course through the guard.

My dream is to become a SF sniper and possibly go to ranger school if that makes sense or SF is ranger idk like i said need a few questions answered . Special Forces isnt for everyone and i know you have to be a certain breed of person. and i believe with everything i got that i am that breed. I just need a little guidance and some questions answered. IF any of you are SF or have any insight on this matter please send help!

Re: Special Forces in the Guard..

*Moved to Special Forces section*

SF Hunter is an active individual who can help you. Below is his profile, if you would like to PM him to alert him to your thread.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; September 19th, 2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

All you need is a 107 GT now and a CO 98

Comment

Will my family be able to see me through out training?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyMedic View Post
          Will my family be able to see me through out training?
          You need to seriously take a good look at what you want and what you are asking to get into if you are already concerned about being away from your family. SF, even in the Guard, is one of the most deployed occupations in the Military, even during peacetime.
          Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; September 26th, 2011, 02:39 PM.

Comment

You need to do a search on this forum for SF or Special Forces, as there is a multitude of posts that cover a lot of the same info you are asking. Next you need to be aware of something very important...

SF is not a guarantee MOS... Like the RA 18X program, a soldier can look at enlisting directly into an SF unit, if that option is avialable in that state and unit. Aside from the enlistment process, once accepted into an SF unit evaluation program, you will be "evaluated" on a number of issues. Next you will attend Selection - where you may or may not be Selected. If selected you will progress into the Qualification course toward becoming a Green Beret.

If not selected you may have an option to start back at "zero" with your unit to try again - of course this depends on the unit. If Selected you can still fail out at any time, you will have a variety of training options during the Q course such as required SERE and Language (SOLT) training in addition to everything else that is required of you.

As to other schools beyond qualification - that depends on you and your unit, and the schools and funding available - however you would be able to attend Ranger or other schools that are open to you if you become an SF Soldier.

As to family - if you are married you take your wife with you if going to the Q course - however there is a lot of training that you are on your own at Fort Bragg, NC.

Comment

Here is a link to the current requirements for Special Forces:
              http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...s-Requirements

If you have any further questions and want to get in contact with the Special Forces Operator, call 1-800-464-8273
              Last edited by SF Hunter; September 19th, 2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Also, look up Surviving the Cut from the Discovery Channel. They've done an episode on SF Selection so you can see a little preview. As well as Ranger School. And really...any of the schools they've done showcase a similar environment and require similar skills and dedication.

Comment

I know that you have to do Combat Water Survival in SF, but what if you don't know how to swim? If you don't know how to swim, will they teach you how to swim, or will you have to learn on your own?

Comment

Originally posted by Stamina View Post
                    I know that you have to do Combat Water Survival in SF, but what if you don't know how to swim? If you don't know how to swim, will they teach you how to swim, or will you have to learn on your own?
                    Actually, SF does not conduct the CWST. You have to be able to swim unassisted for 50 meters in full ACU uniform and boots.

You will need to learn how to swim on your own. Part of a being a good candidate for SF, is the ability to take self initiative.

Comment

Ok, thanks, cause i was told that you have to do CWST in order to join SF. And you know how you can sign up for the military at 17? Well, can you sign up for SF right away at 17, or no?

Comment

Originally posted by Stamina View Post
                        Ok, thanks, cause i was told that you have to do CWST in order to join SF. And you know how you can sign up for the military at 17? Well, can you sign up for SF right away at 17, or no?
                        SEE SPECIAL FORCES REQUIREMENTS. There is a link above. It is also the second sticky thread in this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                          You need to seriously take a good look at what you want and what you are asking to get into if you are already concerned about being away from your family.
                          Why is that the go to assumption on this board? When I was looking into joining, my wife was constantly asking "when will I get to see you? Will you get a phone call? What's the address for letters? When can I visit?" etc. Sure, there's a chance that the kid will miss his family and he's worried about that (especially considering he's 17), but why does that disqualify him from SF? Are you saying SF soldiers don't miss their families or want to see them when possible?

I understand that if somebody is going to be homesick and all that, it's better to know now, but why assume that's the case? I've noticed on the board multiple times that the first time somebody asks about family visiting at BCT, AIT, SFAS, etc, the go-to response is "if you're already worried about that, this isn't the job for you." Isn't this the best time to worry about it, so they can get everything in order and prepare their family for a long-term separation?

No offense meant, SSG, I just hate it if that's all the advice we have to offer. "Sorry, we only like SF recruits that don't ask questions about seeing their families."

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13D View Post
                            Why is that the go to assumption on this board? When I was looking into joining, my wife was constantly asking "when will I get to see you? Will you get a phone call? What's the address for letters? When can I visit?" etc. Sure, there's a chance that the kid will miss his family and he's worried about that (especially considering he's 17), but why does that disqualify him from SF? Are you saying SF soldiers don't miss their families or want to see them when possible?

I understand that if somebody is going to be homesick and all that, it's better to know now, but why assume that's the case? I've noticed on the board multiple times that the first time somebody asks about family visiting at BCT, AIT, SFAS, etc, the go-to response is "if you're already worried about that, this isn't the job for you." Isn't this the best time to worry about it, so they can get everything in order and prepare their family for a long-term separation?

No offense meant, SSG, I just hate it if that's all the advice we have to offer. "Sorry, we only like SF recruits that don't ask questions about seeing their families."
                            Dude, I'm not trying to answer for SF Hunter but I will comment that when a soldier joins a Special Operations team, it's like having an extended family and we support each other like we are blood relatives. If a team mate OR his family is in need, WE ALL are in need and drop whatever to help.

SF is a calling and it is manned with soldiers, who if 10 guys were told that they need 4 men for a very dangerous mission, the 10 would fight each other for the chance to go. It's not machismo or bravado, it's a mentality of "Send Me" so my brother can stay home with his loved ones. If you don't get it, you just don't get it and it cannot be explained.

Comment

Working...
                            X