X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a Support Dude

I can answer most of your questions about the life of a support guy. I'd say I'm pretty experienced, been stuck with teams on different types of missions in different countries. I'm also familiar with what a lot of support guys in different MOS's do.

Re: Ask a Support Dude

Where do you sleep at night? What type of meals do you eat? How much butt did you have to kiss to have done the things you did?

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
      Where do you sleep at night? What type of meals do you eat? How much butt did you have to kiss to have done the things you did?
      LMAO...diet dew thru the nostrils! How is being a POG different in "group" than being a POG as a REMF???

Comment

Slept in a bed, we're on a strict diet of soy beans and organic sprouts. I didn't have to kiss butt to do anything, except for getting promoted.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC View Post
          LMAO...diet dew thru the nostrils! How is being a POG different in "group" than being a POG as a REMF???
          What a great question! Thanks! It's a lot different. You often find yourself fielding gear that hasn't been issued to the rest of the army yet and working on equipment that is specialized for smaller units. You also have more opportunity for schools, etc. It's different from being a REMF because a lot of support guys aren't "REMF"s, they're specialized in their field and are often sent to missions with SFODAs or SFODB's to support in their field of specialty. So to answer that question, "POG"s from an SFG are a LOT different than being a "REMF".

Keep the great questions coming everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by YesWeCan2008 View Post
            I can answer most of your questions about the life of a support guy. I'd say I'm pretty experienced, been stuck with teams on different types of missions in different countries. I'm also familiar with what a lot of support guys in different MOS's do.
            You have opened a big can with this post. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
              You have opened a big can with this post. Good Luck.
              This is easier than the tons of PMs I was getting. At least they can reference here.

Comment

Originally posted by YesWeCan2008 View Post
                What a great question! Thanks! It's a lot different. You often find yourself fielding gear that hasn't been issued to the rest of the army yet and working on equipment that is specialized for smaller units. You also have more opportunity for schools, etc. It's different from being a REMF because a lot of support guys aren't "REMF"s, they're specialized in their field and are often sent to missions with SFODAs or SFODB's to support in their field of specialty. So to answer that question, "POG"s from an SFG are a LOT different than being a "REMF".

Keep the great questions coming everyone.
                Great answers and I appreciate that you have a great sense of humor (and sarcasm); Too many people get all tore up and take things way too personal now days. So in a nutshell your no REMF, pogue or fobbit good deal!

Comment

Think you can provide a nomenclature or two on the equipment?

We have equipment, such as a "CPP" "ADAMs" "MC4" "BCSSS" etc... Granted, not many know how to work these pieces of equipment so they are not used often but they are CRITICAL in disaster missions and even in war time.

Basically, what type of equipment do you work with? Special NVGs, weapons, computers. I kind of want to know where we stand... opsec of course.

Comment

Think you can provide a nomenclature or two on the equipment?

We have equipment, such as a "CPP" "ADAMs" "MC4" "BCSSS" etc... Granted, not many know how to work these pieces of equipment so they are not used often but they are CRITICAL in disaster missions and even in war time.

Basically, what type of equipment do you work with? Special NVGs, weapons, computers. I kind of want to know where we stand... opsec of course.
                    Yeah we use the TACLAN, SDN, MC-6 parachutes that were recently fielded (we've recently halted airborne ops due to deaths at Ft. Bragg), etc.

An SFG support guy will mostly have the same weapons, NVGs, etc. As far as computers , radios, satcom, etc, like I've said, we use equipment specialized in rapid deployment, quick set up/tear down, so a lot of the time it takes 3 or 4 support guys a couple hours to set up an entire commo shed on a good day. For fear of OPSEC reasons, I don't want to name all of the names of our equipment, I don't really know what's cool and what isn't to talk about, so I put what you can find on Google.

I've seen mostly PVS-14s, M4s, a lot of the times with AimPoints or ACOGs on them.
                    Last edited by YesWeCan2008; July 21st, 2011, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC View Post
                      Great answers and I appreciate that you have a great sense of humor (and sarcasm); Too many people get all tore up and take things way too personal now days. So in a nutshell your no REMF, pogue or fobbit good deal!
                      I don't think there's much shame in being a REMF or anything like that, some people don't always get the chance to do things, and chances are some guys in S-1 end up stuck inside or at the office while commo, mechanics, intel guys go out and play. I thought I'd answer your question and explain some differences between a commo guy in an SFG and in a signal battalion.

Comment

Also, the canopy you jump is the SF10A, which unlike units like the 82nd use, is a steerable and maneuverable chute. Along with the MC6 is a new reserve that is a full sized canopy

Comment

Would you happen to have a POC for the MID, 5/19th in Watkins, CO?

Comment

Originally posted by lindy View Post
                            Would you happen to have a POC for the MID, 5/19th in Watkins, CO?
                            We do, PM me and I'll shoot that over to you. We have a couple AGR MID dudes.

Comment

I'm currently deployed to Iraq, and am trying to plan my next move in the Guard for when I return from deployment. I have been very interested in the support side of SF for quite some time, but how does one go about finding and interviewing for a slot? I suppose what I'm really asking is how do you do this without stepping on the toes of your COC?

I am MOSQ'd as a 25S which is a SATCOM Operator and have been in the Guard for 3 years. This is my first time looking for a new slot, and I'm looking for something new that is both challenging and rewarding. This leads me to my second question. What is the life of a commo guy in a SF support slot like?

Comment

Working...
                              X