Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Path to B 3/20 SFG NQP

Hello,
    I'm a former AD USMC Scout/Sniper and want to get to SFAS. As per the two ways to get to the non-qual plt., I was told recently that B 3/20 was currently over strength and not accepting potential SF candidates directly into the unit(I am not currently in the ARNG). Is this still the case? As per the second route, I am still learning about how the Guard does things and I was hoping to get a QP's opinion on the time one should spend in their assigned unit before trying to get the CO to sign off on training with the NQP. I want to get my shot as soon as possible but also don't want to be that guy that shows up at their first drill with obvious intentions to try and leave immediately. I also was hoping to get some insight on how well units generally perceive the idea that their unit is being used as, essentially, a stepping stone and if that will cause significant delays in getting where I want to be.
    S/F

Re: Path to B 3/20 SFG NQP

Originally posted by gumby2/6 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm a former AD USMC Scout/Sniper and want to get to SFAS. As per the two ways to get to the non-qual plt., I was told recently that B 3/20 was currently over strength and not accepting potential SF candidates directly into the unit(I am not currently in the ARNG). Is this still the case? As per the second route, I am still learning about how the Guard does things and I was hoping to get a QP's opinion on the time one should spend in their assigned unit before trying to get the CO to sign off on training with the NQP. I want to get my shot as soon as possible but also don't want to be that guy that shows up at their first drill with obvious intentions to try and leave immediately. I also was hoping to get some insight on how well units generally perceive the idea that their unit is being used as, essentially, a stepping stone and if that will cause significant delays in getting where I want to be.
    S/F
    You are correct that NC is no longer accepting NQPs. Most SF Units conduct evaluation/assessment drills. They will not bring you into the unit, until you have actually been selected at SFAS.

If you are PS, you would have to enlist in the Guard first. Once Army MOS qualified and assigned to a unit, then you could work on scheduling a date to attend the evaluation/assessment drill with the SF unit.
    Most of the time you can work directly with an SF recruiter to enlist in that state to get yourself started in the right direction.

I will also send you a PM

Comment

Re: Path to B 3/20 SFG NQP

Thank you SF Hunter.

Comment

Working...
      X