X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard Special Forces Question

What do National Guard Special Forces do compared to Active Duty Special Force? is the 19th Special Forces group specifically confined to Southeast Asia or do they operate in Afghanistan and Iraq?

Thanks for the time,

Aaron

Re: National Guard Special Forces Question

When deployed, National Guard Special Forces have the same missions as Active Duty SF.

At this point in time most Active and Guard SF Groups, deploy to Iraq and Afghanistan as US Army Special Forces Command (USASFC) mission dictates.

Comment

They do just about everything active duty does. No Group is really "confined to an area" like you say. Here and there, you'll go out on training missions, called JCETs, to different countries in your AOR (Area of Responsibility)

The thing about Group in the Guard is that you'll never truly be a traditional Guardsman. You'll pull far more than your 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year, and it's a demanding place to be. Last year, what was to be my 2 weeks a year became my 8 week trip to Fort Bragg along with a 2 week trip in December. You'll work really hard at drill, where you'll be showing up at 6AM and staying till your job is done. There's no time for games at Group, there's no 9 to 5, like some units I've split trained with.

If you have any questions, you can shoot me a PM. I'm just a support ***, but I've been in group my whole career so far.

Comment

Thank you guys both, I greatly appreciate it.

A second question real quick if you guys have the time; What is the enlistment proccess for the REP-63 contract? I am slightly confused because the website points to you having to find an SF unit near you to enlist. Is it not like the active duty 18x COntract where you are just shipped off to all your various training? is there a Special Forces Recruiter you have to meet with to Enlist with the REP-63 contract? thank you guys very much for answering my questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumma09 View Post

A second question real quick if you guys have the time; What is the enlistment proccess for the REP-63 contract? I am slightly confused because the website points to you having to find an SF unit near you to enlist. Is it not like the active duty 18x COntract where you are just shipped off to all your various training? is there a Special Forces Recruiter you have to meet with to Enlist with the REP-63 contract? thank you guys very much for answering my questions.
          I believe you do meet with an SF recruiter, but I'm not an SF guy so I'm not qualified to speak on that. I believe you talk to them to go 18X or REP63

Comment

Originally posted by Drumma09 View Post

The National Guard is a different enlistment process for Special Forces than Active Army.

Yes, you would need to work with an SF recruiter in a state that has Special Forces. Currently, not all states with SF are accepting applications from non-prior service.
            Last edited by SF Hunter; February 28th, 2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X