X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life of a NG SF soldier

I am just curious as to the differences between SF in the guard and active duty. Being 33, I noticed I would actually have the opportunity to give it a shot through the guard. Do many soldiers in their early to mid 30's make it through training?

The particular areas that I was interested in have to do with the timeline in the training process first. In other words is all of the training completed consecutively or are there gaps in between the different courses/trainings? Is it 18 months straight (after BCT, AIT, and Airborne School)?

Upon successful completion/graduation, what is life like? I assume that it is not the normal guard part time life (outside of deployments). Do NG SF soldiers still maintain their civilian lives/jobs, or is this techinically a full-time career now?

Any insight/information would be appreciated.

Re: Life of a NG SF soldier

We have a few individuals that can provide some insight for you. In the mean time, doing a search on the forums should yield some good info.

Comment

I am going to send you a PM.

Comment

Yes there are candidates in their 30's that make it through the selection/training process. They are usually of great character, physical fitness and motivation.

The consecutive training pipeline/process for non-prior service (NPS) usually consists of OSUT, Airborne School, SFPC (SOPC) and then SFAS. If selected, then on to SFQC ("Q course"). The entire timeline from start to finish is minimum 21 months, longer for any delay of class schedules, language category and SF MOS 18D (Medic).

SF Guard soldiers do have civilian lives and careers. When not doing extensive training, schools or on deployments, they are part time like regular Guard.

Comment

Thank you SteveLord. I have been searching this topic for a while and though I have found a lot of good pieces of information, there still seems to be missing pieces. SF Hunter was kind enough to jump in and help out with this.
          Thanks again, and thank you for your service.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
            I am going to send you a PM.
            Received and responding.
            Thank you in advance.

Comment

A few years back, Discovery did 2hr documentary on SF Selection called "Two Weeks in He||." They've also done a series on other elite schools spanning the entire military called "Surviving The Cut." Google them. Really good stuff there.

Comment

We must be on the same page... I watched "Two Weeks in He$$" two days ago. Can't believe I missed that when it was originally shown. Surviving the cut was a great little series. For SF they had Combat Diver School. The other ones were Ranger School, Navy EOD, PJ, and I think Marine Recon to name a few. YouTube has been great researching this topic. Some of the stuff is a little hokey, but for the most part there is some great information.

I'm currently reading "Chosen Soldier" by **** Couch (former Navy SEAL, CIA, and a great military author IMHO). While discussing SFPC, there is a student that is mentioned that is NG and my same age range, similar family situation, and with a very good civilian job. That sparked my interest in looking into this a little more seriously as it covered some of my exact concerns.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X