X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.e.r.e.

Perhaps those of you who are interested in joining Special Forces should research S.E.R.E. training (Survive, Evade, Resist, Escape).

Re: S.e.r.e.

Recently, our company had to do the annual online SERE level 100 aka B training within JKO (since I am stationed overseas). Also, flight warrants going through SERE training at Fort Rucker.

The online course is fun to do. It is very interactive. It took me 6 hours to complete the training.

http://www.ndu.edu/capstone/docUploaded/SERE%20100.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
      Recently, our company had to do the annual online SERE level 100 aka B training within JKO (since I am stationed overseas). Also, flight warrants going through SERE training at Fort Rucker.

The online course is fun to do. It is very interactive. It took me 6 hours to complete the training.

http://www.ndu.edu/capstone/docUploaded/SERE%20100.pdf
      This site is cool. I actually met the guy that designed the virtual cultural awareness training (VCAT) simulation, amongst the other selections on the JKO site, during a seminar while working on my doctorate in Organizational Leadership. He works for a small software company located in India, whose name I forget at the moment, but I have his paperwork located somewhere in my files. By the way, for anyone that wants to access the JKO (Joint Knowledge Online) website, you can use your AKO (Army Knowledge Online) screename and password. If you haven't gotten an AKO account yet, you'll get one eventually from your NCO while you're at RSP drill.
      Last edited by VICEROY06; March 18th, 2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
        This site is cool. I actually met the guy that designed the virtual cultural awareness training (VCAT) simulation, amongst the other selections on the JKO site, during a seminar while working on my doctorate in Organizational Leadership. He works for a small software company located in India, whose name I forget at the moment, but I have his paperwork located somewhere in my files. By the way, for anyone that wants to access the JKO (Joint Knowledge Online) website, you can use your AKO (Army Knowledge Online) screename and password. If you haven't gotten an AKO account yet, you'll get one eventually from your NCO while you're at RSP drill.

The course takes up so much bandwidth because you are in a scenario that you are in a humvee that gets hit by an IED, get captured and so on and so on. Then there is a senior non-commissioned officer that comes out during each module at parade rest talking to you. With our network problems at times; it will take forever to load.

I ended up doing the course at home and thank goodness with my ISOPREP completion, I can go on pass this weekend. You cannot get a mileage pass until you are good with all your training and your medical readiness in AKO is all green. This applies to all the Full-birds to the lowest private.

Comment

The course takes up so much bandwidth because you are in a scenario that you are in a humvee that gets hit by an IED, get captured and so on and so on. Then there is a senior non-commissioned officer that comes out during each module at parade rest talking to you. With our network problems at times; it will take forever to load.

I ended up doing the course at home and thank goodness with my ISOPREP completion, I can go on pass this weekend. You cannot get a mileage pass until you are good with all your training and your medical readiness in AKO is all green. This applies to all the Full-birds to the lowest private.
          My Macbook can't run the simulations. I'll have to try my comp in my office when I go back to work next week. Yeah--I'm still glowing yellow. I won't be back at MEPS until 20110404.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; March 18th, 2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Online SERE? What's next rifle quals with squirt guns?

Comment

Squirt guns and water balloons!

In all seriousness, thanks for the link, Sir. Might as well get anything that may be required for mob done well in advance. Gotta love ISOPREP and all the awesome classes (human trafficking/risk management/all the best!).

Comment

Originally posted by Scarynickname View Post
                From what I could ascertain of the article I read in the infantry magazine several months ago, the reason for the online S.E.R.E. training is the Army's somewhat new initiative is for everyone to get S.E.R.E. training, no matter what their MOS is. But everyone can't just run down to Ft. Rucker, AL. and get a slot. Of course, Special Forces and Rangers get first priority at Ft. Rucker, so that narrows the availability of slots even more. I believe they're in the process of certifying another base for a S.E.R.E. site but for now there's only Ft. Rucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarynickname View Post
                  The XBOX generation is driving a lot of the training that the Army is compassing. Every type of training is being provided in a virtual environment similar to your Call of Duty gamers .

Obviously, the online course is to provide familiarization and re-inforcement of the code of conduct, law of war and what is expected of you if captured as a POW. It provides scenarios similar to Owen Wilson's Behind Enemy Lines and how to apply buddy/first aid, utilizating METT-TC at its optimal best and a whole bunch more.

It was a very interesting CBT.

Comment

The XBOX generation is driving a lot of the training that the Army is compassing. Every type of training is being provided in a virtual environment similar to your Call of Duty gamers .

Obviously, the online course is to provide familiarization and re-inforcement of the code of conduct, law of war and what is expected of you if captured as a POW. It provides scenarios similar to Owen Wilson's Behind Enemy Lines and how to apply buddy/first aid, utilizating METT-TC at its optimal best and a whole bunch more.

It was a very interesting CBT.
                    You have to admit, though, it's a great alternative to actually having to physically go to Ft. Rucker or some other certified base. For one thing, they probably wouldn't send any women to a physical S.E.R.E. site. Imagine a 12, 14 or 15 series MOS soldier's reaction to being told he was to ship to Ft. Rucker for S.E.R.E. training to learn how to do things like eat worms or learn how to wipe with no toilet paper among other grueling requirements. Even some of the guys that volunteer for S.E.R.E. training don't make it. The virtual world is a very cheap and cost effective measure.
                    Last edited by VICEROY06; March 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM.

Comment

As inappropriate as I thought it was, our Christmas dinner briefings had us listening to this SF Major talk about SERE. He was frank in what he said. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would want to go to SERE after hearing that.

Comment

You have to admit, though, it's a great alternative to actually having to physically go to Ft. Rucker or some other certified base. For one thing, they probably wouldn't send any women to a physical S.E.R.E. site. Imagine a 12, 14 or 15 series MOS soldier's reaction to being told he was to ship to Ft. Rucker for S.E.R.E. training to learn how to do things like eat worms or learn how to wipe with no toilet paper among other grueling requirements. Even some of the guys that volunteer for S.E.R.E. training don't make it. The virtual world is a very cheap and cost effective measure.
                        I agree with your post 100 percent. Also, I always been picky about what I eat so I know the eating the wild part will be very challenging for me. I just think of Col Trautman's line in First Blood - "Rambo will eat things that will make a billy goat puke".

Comment

It is still no replacement for the real thing. You can't get 1/100th the same effect in virtual simulation, sitting at your computer in the warmth and comfort of your own home drinking coffee and eating a donut. As for women in S.E.R.E. there are women aviators in the Army that fly all kinds of military helicopters. My CPT on the ADOS side is a UH-60 and AH-64 pilot. Army aviators have to go through S.E.R.E. At Sapper Leader Course there is a small S.E.R.E. portion, and women can attend SLC.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                            It is still no replacement for the real thing. You can't get 1/100th the same effect in virtual simulation, sitting at your computer in the warmth and comfort of your own home drinking coffee and eating a donut. As for women in S.E.R.E. there are women aviators in the Army that fly all kinds of military helicopters. My CPT on the ADOS side is a UH-60 and AH-64 pilot. Army aviators have to go through S.E.R.E. At Sapper Leader Course there is a small S.E.R.E. portion, and women can attend SLC.
                            Originally posted by Rat4spd:
                            As inappropriate as I thought it was, our Christmas dinner briefings had us listening to this SF Major talk about SERE. He was frank in what he said. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would want to go to SERE after hearing that.
                            You positively, absolutely, unequivocally have no argument from me. The only way to get the kind of extreme in the field training that Special Forces, Rangers, as well as Air Force pilots etc. get is--in the field. There is no substitute, which is why when I originally created this thread I posted the link to the S.E.R.E. website that gives a glimpse of what a soldier or pilot would actually go through in the field. Too many of these wide-eyed, bushy-tailed guys think being a part of an elite team (Marine Recon, Special Forces, Navy Seal, etc.) is like what you see in the movies, T.V. and video games. Even in the reality show "Making the Cut", you only get to see a fraction of what actually happens in the field. There is a reason why I chose the Infantry--that's about as extreme as I want to get. I have grandchildren to help raise.
                            Last edited by VICEROY06; March 19th, 2011, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I agree with your post 100 percent. Also, I always been picky about what I eat so I know the eating the wild part will be very challenging for me. I just think of Col Trautman's line in First Blood - "Rambo will eat things that will make a billy goat puke".
                              Exactly. I commend anyone that has the huevos to be subjected to a P.O.W. environment or be stranded out in the middle of nowhere for weeks on end and expected to survive with nothing but some kite string and a piece of chewing gum. But that is not for me. If push comes to shove, then okay but to volunteer for it? I'll pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X