X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer SF Advice

It is my ultimate goal/dream to serve as an Officer in Special Forces. From what I understand you must be a 1st Lt to be considered. I am curious as to what would be the best avenue to consideration and acceptance.

I am thinking this may be a good avenue if possible:

Combat Engineer --> Sapper --> Ranger --> SF

If I had it my way I would go straight from OCS to SFQ but experience goes a long way for these guys. I hope to earn 1st Lt by the time I am at/or graduating from Ranger school. Please feel free to post any advice or better avenues of attack.

Thanks

PS- This is for FL NG. Which, if Im not mistaken, they are required to grant a tryout to everyone who is interested. So ultimately I am looking for a fast track to SF.

Re: Officer SF Advice

Originally posted by mjulian View Post
    It is my ultimate goal/dream to serve as an Officer in Special Forces. From what I understand you must be a 1st Lt to be considered. I am curious as to what would be the best avenue to consideration and acceptance.

If I had it my way I would go straight from OCS to SFQ but experience goes a long way for these guys. I hope to earn 1st Lt by the time I am at/or graduating from Ranger school. Please feel free to post any advice or better avenues of attack.

Thanks

PS- This is for FL NG. Which, if Im not mistaken, they are required to grant a tryout to everyone who is interested. So ultimately I am looking for a fast track to SF.
    Are you prior service?

Comment

The path you have described can work. The traditional path to SF has always been Infantry, although that's not a formal requirement. The biggest predictor of success is the willingness to endure the hardships to achieve the goal.

Comment

You will get 1LT 18 months from the date of commission as long as you graduated BOLC. Sapper school is a hard one to get, but from people I've spoken to they said its pretty comparable to ranger school with some obvious differences. But lack of sleep, food, etc are the common factors.

good luck with your wishes- make them happen!

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
          Sapper school is a hard one to get, but from people I've spoken to they said its pretty comparable to ranger school with some obvious differences. But lack of sleep, food, etc are the common factors.
          I would say Sapper School is more like a Pre-Ranger course with an Engineer twist. Sapper is 24 days and Ranger School is 61 days long.

Comment

Originally posted by mjulian View Post

Thanks

If you go Engineer Branch and get the opportunity to attend Sapper School, more-than-likely they would NOT also send you to Ranger School. Both are leadership development courses. The state will probably not pay for two schools that have the same goal. If you have a choice of the two, I would choose Ranger School.

As for the policy in FL for SF:

Commanders will allow Soldiers who would like to volunteer for Special Forces training to conduct one SUTA with 3/20th Special Forces. 3/20th personnel will conduct an assessment of the Soldier and recommend one of the following options:

1) Soldier attends the Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS) Course at earliest opportunity without transferring from his parent unit. If the Soldier is selected he will transfer to 3/20th for attendance of the Special Forces Qualification Course.

2) Return to unit of assignment and continue to train if still interested in Special Forces. 3/20th will provide the Soldier with an individual training program and re-test date. Soldier is expected to train on his own and not interfere with parent unit IDT / AT periods.

Comment

Working...
            X