X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Forces and APFT

Im 16 and joining the guard asap. Ive done a apft on my on and got 67 pushups 83 situps and a 13:10 2 mile run. where would i rank at bct ? What do u guys have and how important is the APFT to my milatary career? Its my life goal to get into NGSF and i WILL do it i just want to make sure physically i dont get whooped to bad lol but how would i be ranked at basic ?
    Last edited by USGuard1017; February 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM.

Re: APFT scores

Here's a website to check out how many points you'd earn in each event: http://www.apft-standards.com/
    If the link does't work or isn't allowed, Google 'Army APFT chart' to find the same thing. It depends on your age and gender, but those numbers sound good off the top of my head. Keep it up!
    Last edited by MPThink; February 7th, 2011, 10:16 PM. Reason: Replaced a no-no word.

Comment

Those scores would put you in the top 10% with a total combined score of 291. The APFT is huge in your military career. Its worth promotion points and it gets you noticed in a good way. You are on to a good start. A killer APFT score is only a small portion of whats needed to be SF. Some people will tell you that being able to ruck for days on end is more valuable than a 300 APFT score. Don't just focus on the APFT though. Don't neglect pull ups and running longer distances than 2 miles. Another important goal to have is to run 5 miles in 40.00 or less over rolling hills or 35.00 or less on flat ground. If you are interested in a way to train to blow away the 2 mile and run 5 miles in 35.00 or less shot me a PM. I developed a training plan that got me to a 12.07 2 mile, 26.20 4 mile and 8 miles in 56.48.

And lastly, being a PT stud is great but in SF your mind is your best weapon. Keep that in mind as you pursue your goal.

Comment

absolutely. And i also run longer distances but the rest i need to do too. and PM ?

Comment

Originally posted by USGuard1017 View Post
          absolutely. And i also run longer distances but the rest i need to do too. and PM ?
          PM=Private message. Click on my name and it will give you the option. I'll send the first transmition in 3, 2, 1..........

Comment

Why the Guard?

Reason being is that I was in your shoes, too... and joined the Guard. Not that I am saying anything >.>

Comment

[QUOTE=Teuvil;140853]Why the Guard?

Reason being is that I was in your shoes, too... and joined the Guard. Not that I am saying anything >.>

I want to serve my community aswell as my country. also i was intriguiged with the 19th and 20th SF groups. but mostly beca
              use i want to get addition
              al schools
              airborne,sniper school etc. and figured with the guard id have more time to get them.
              Last edited by USGuard1017; February 8th, 2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I want to serve my community aswell as my country. also i was intriguiged with the 19th and 20th SF groups. but mostly beca
                use i want to get addition
                al schools
                airborne,sniper school etc. and figured with the guard id have more time to get them.
                your chances of getting those schools in the Guard are not all that great. These schools cost money, and in most cases ALOT of money. Money the state you live in typically does not want to pay. You would have a better chance at getting the cool unifrom candy schools if you were in a SF unit but honestly being in SF is not about the uniform candy.

Comment

would i have a better chance in regular army unit ?

Comment

would i have a better chance in regular army unit ?
                    Depends on the unit. In short, yes. If you go regular active duty Army and get into an Airborne unit such as the 82nd, or the 173rd, for example then there will be more opportunities to attend fun schools like Airborne, Air Assault, Ranger, Sapper, Pathfinder etc. Especially if you have a combat MOS such as 12B, 11B, 19D, 13F etc.

But if you get stuck in a mechanized engineer battalion as a 12B, they will be rare opportunities.

Comment

what would my chances be as and 11b or 11c in a NG combat unit, which is what i want ? i mean if there is no chance than thats not what i want. i want to be someone who can fight again and again and come back every time. so if my chances are a 100 in the 82nd what would they be as and 11b in a combat oreinted NG unit ? really appreciate the feedback sir .

Comment

what would my chances be as and 11b or 11c in a NG combat unit, which is what i want ? i mean if there is no chance than thats not what i want. i want to be someone who can fight again and again and come back every time. so if my chances are a 100 in the 82nd what would they be as and 11b in a combat oreinted NG unit ? really appreciate the feedback sir .
                        It's Sergeant, I work for a living.

Getting schools in the National Guard is a tough gig. The state you live in either has the money to send people or they don't. OR they have the money but they don't like to send people because most they send fail and waste the states money.

If you get into the National Guard and want to go to cool schools I'm going to warn you now that it is VERY competitive to earn a slot. Most units will have an Order of Merit List that will determine who goes to what school in what order if the schools become available. The OML list is determined by many different factors, PT scores being one factor. Also rank, time in service, leadership abilities in the field, NCOER's, and typically a company/battlion/brigade test. I've been sitting in the top tier of my battlions OML list for 3 years waiting on either Sapper Leader Course or Ranger School. In 3 years the battalion has not sent one person anywhere.

In an active duty unit such as the 82nd Airborne they have TONS of allocated slots for various schools every year. They typically want every NCO in a leadership position in a combat arms unit to be Ranger qualified. Obviously this doesn't happen and not everybody gets to go but there are far more opportunities in active duty than there are in the National Guard.

Airborne, Air Assault and Ranger School are the easier ones to get. All the other schools are hard to come by even on active duty. Schools like Halo, Pathfinder, Scuba, Sapper, Sniper, Mountain Warfare, RSLC, etc are far lower volume and some are almost limited to just SF personell like Scuba, Halo and RSLC. So Don't get your hopes up thinking that even in a high speed active duty unit you will be able to get a blinged out candy coated uniform.

I suggest you join active duty, get Airborne school in your contract and try to get the 82nd in your contract. From there become an expert in your MOS, keep a high PT score, jump at opportunities to take on leadership roles and jump on opportunities to attend the extra schools. Even ones that are not as fun, high speed or produce a neat little badge.
                        Last edited by Explosive Hazard; February 9th, 2011, 05:11 PM. Reason: I can't spell.

Comment

OK that sounds good. thats what ill do. now where is the 82nd based im in FL is that ok ? also in active duty how often and long am i deployed. as i said i am determined to get into SF asap and dont want to have to be not-SF for long. lastly i would like to get a few schools under my belt before my 1st deployment, what would my options be ? HOOAH Sarge

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                            It's Seargent, I work for a living.
                            And this is how we know you're a Sergeant. :P

82nd is in Fort Bragg, NC. If you're 11B in the 82nd, have fun with your 2-3 months in the field (depending on the unit). If you can't handle that, then don't even think about SF.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
                              And this is how we know you're a Sergeant. :P

82nd is in Fort Bragg, NC. If you're 11B in the 82nd, have fun with your 2-3 months in the field (depending on the unit). If you can't handle that, then don't even think about SF.
                              LOL. We have a spell check function too. FML.

Comment

Working...
                              X