X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Forces

My boyfriend is going to speak to the special forces recruiters on Tuesday in CA.
    He wants to join the SF through the National Guard...
    I heard that the army is basically full and he should be thankful for any job he can get. Is this true? And if so, provided he is physically and mentally capable of becoming a Green Beret, what are his chances bureaucratically of making SF?
    It's a complicated question I know...

But also, since I can't go with him to the recruiters, are there any extra questions I should send with him?
    I am really nervous about him joining... so if any of you have stories, good or bad, I would love to hear them.

thank you all so much!

Re: Special Forces

There should be no issues of you sitting in on a recruiter meeting - they will not be dicussing clasified or need to know infomation.

If he is accepted directly into an SF unit in the ARNG he will have to go through various assessments and training to see if they will send him to the SF Assessment and Selection course. Normally he will have to attend a special assessment program that ARNG SF units do before they will accept a trainee into thier program. And this does not include all of the basic requirements he will need to achieve - such as attending and completing Basic Training, MOS training and Airborne School before he can even begin to think about the SFAS program.

If you have questions, feel free to ask - there is nothing complicated or bureacratic about the process - he has to contract into the ARNG, into a job and unit, and then start at the bottom and work his way up.

Comment

Thanks for your replies!
      The only reason I cant sit in with his recruiter meeting is because hes meeting with them in LA and I live in Reno :S
      He went and took his asvab and gt and all those tests... I don't remember them all but he scored well above what he needs so I am happy about that
      From what I under stand, hes going to go through normal basic and airborne... then he can go to the tryouts which is just 1 day and if he makes it he starts part time training with the green berets until he gets shipped to assessment and selection and goes thru the whole process.
      For the 2 years at fort bragg, does he get time off between schools? like he goes to language school then goes to weapons training, will he get to come home in the middle?
      And does anyone know how deployment works with national guard green berets?

Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

Sounds like he signed a NQP type program. As for between schools, its usually a weekend or a few days more. He will get time off for Christmas. Deployments are around one every 2-3yrs, not counting additional training. With NG SF, its a lot more than the one weekend a month, two weeks a year commercial promo.

Comment

Whats NQP stand for?...

Comment

Just going to take over this thread and say that I'm so sorry you'll be leaving Nevada for California. Gag.

Comment

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
              Just going to take over this thread and say that I'm so sorry you'll be leaving Nevada for California. Gag.
              Actually he could live in Nevada but drill with the unit in CA. Not sure how acurate the information found is but supposedly there is a SF unit in southern CA(Los Alamitos) that is only a 6 hour drive from where I live in Phoenix. I wouldn't live in CA, **** that! Beautiful place to visit but can't live there. I couldn't bring my guns!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
                Yes, Nevada is doing so much better than California...

Comment

Originally posted by 11Bang View Post
                  Yes, Nevada is doing so much better than California...
                  Less worse is the term I'd use.

Comment

haha Im not sure about the nevada california debate... personally nevada is boring desert :P
                    hes planning on moving to ca eventually anyway so thats a bonus
                    theres apparently a group in Sacramento that he can drive to from reno until hes shipped to fort bragg...
                    why doesnt nevada have a special forces unit? that makes noooo sense

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz View Post
                      haha Im not sure about the nevada california debate... personally nevada is boring desert :P
                      hes planning on moving to ca eventually anyway so thats a bonus
                      theres apparently a group in Sacramento that he can drive to from reno until hes shipped to fort bragg...
                      why doesnt nevada have a special forces unit? that makes noooo sense
                      Not every state has an SF unit, or the Funding to have one.

Comment

Working...
                      X