X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABA waiver

I am a lawyer with 6 years of prior service as a 98G. I graduated from a non-ABA law school that is accredited by the Commonwealth of MA, passed the bar no-sweat, and have been in private practice for a number of years. I would like to return to military service if I can. Is there a waiver available for the school's ABA-accreditation? How do I get a waiver for such a thing? It is not even something for which I can answer.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: ABA waiver

The best thing to would be to call the state you are located in and talk with the person that handles JAG recruitment, or officer recruitment.

Comment

There is no waiver available. You must have an ABA degree. There is absolutly no ay around that given that the Army Legal School is ABA approved.

Comment

It need not be your JD that is ABA-accredited, though. A buddy of mine has a non-accredited JD, but an accredited LLM, and there was no issue whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKhan View Post
          It need not be your JD that is ABA-accredited, though. A buddy of mine has a non-accredited JD, but an accredited LLM, and there was no issue whatsoever.
          This could be possible, but the major hurdles will be getting into an LLM with a non ABA JD and getting admitted to the states bars where you want to work with only an ABA LLM, and then talking to the JAG Corps about your unique situation. So will it work...maybe. Will it be "no problem at all"...probably not.

Comment

The OP is already licensed and has been a practicing attorney. His only hurdle would be acceptance to an LLM program, which is not really all that difficult. If all you're after is an accredited degree, and you don't care too terribly much about the actual re****tion of the institution, there are plenty of LLM programs begging for applicants. A degree from Cooley is just as accredited as a degree from Harvard. Some may debate the educational value, or even the monetary value, of such a degree, but it will get you into the Guard. If all you lack is the "degree from an accredited law school" part of your application, and the rest of your application is competitive, there are degree mill law schools that will give you an LLM with an ABA stamp of approval.

Comment

Working...
            X