X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteering before OCS

I was wondering if it's possible to volunteer for a deployment before going to OCS?

The unit I'd like to get into has an upcoming deployment and from what I read on another forum someone mentioned that you can volunteer for a deployment before you go to OCS. I figured it would be a good chance to make a name for myself with the unit so that when I complete OCS they pull to get me.

Is this true or just a rumor?

Re: Volunteering before OCS

From what I understand, as 09S you are non-deployable until you complete BOLC.

Comment

If you were referring to the thread I recently started I am with a unit as a private and will be taking the ROTC route to being an officer (not straight into OCS after basic) from what I know that is the only way to be deployed before commissioning. Of course if you weren't talking about my post then what I am saying about me is irrelevant but score top of class at OCS and max your PT and they will still want you.

Comment

I wanted to know the same thing. Volunteer prior to OCS or volunteer after. Also would a unit be happy if you just get your commission and you're already being shipped out. How long can you volunteer for? Is it set lengths or can you asked to be deployed for a specified number of months.

Comment

If you are not MOS or branch qualified, you are non-deployable. If you enlisted under the 09s option, then you will atten OCS without an MOS. If you have an MOS and was wanting to deploy before OCS, then volunteer for that deployment and re/submit your packet for OCS upon your return.

Branching pre/mid/post OCS depends on each state. They all have a needs-of-the-state basis, but some take it more seriously than others. One state may direct a candidate to a branch, another may establish an order of merit list, and another may allow you to shop around and leave it up to a battalion commander to decide whether he/she wants you.

Comment

Working...
          X