Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Service applying for OCS with PTSD

Gents,

I'm a former E-5, Marine Infantry Rifleman (0311) entering my senior year at Rutgers Business School with a GPA of 3.8 in Finance. There is nothing more that I want to do is to return to military and serve my country in the Infantry/SF pipeline.

From 2002 - 2006, I deployed to OIF three times. After my EAS in July 2006, I went back to school then off to work in the nuclear security industry. In May 2009, I finally admitted to myself that I needed help for my PTSD.

After taking tests and being interviewed, I was diagnosed with 50% disability rating and went to counseling sessions with the psychologist. I consider myself lucky and have overcome the survivors guilt that plagued my mind by visiting the parents of a fallen comrade. I've gone through a transformation both mentally and physically and feel that I am more than fit for duty and ready to be a sheep dog once again.

Will recruiters or MEPS look at each application case by case?

For example will they consider my experience in Iraq? My medal Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with Combat V? Statement from my psychologist which states that I am mentally fit for duty? Will they consider my excellent physical condition?

Re: Prior Service applying for OCS with PTSD

I found this from a thread post April 23,2011 by LTC Ritchie under thread title: 40% disabled trying to go Guard

1. By regulation, no one receiving more than 30% VA disability may serve in the ARNG. As a previous post mentioned, you may consider asking the VA to lower your disability rating to 30% if it currently exceeds 30%. I have no idea what implications that has to your long-term situation, and I mention this only as a fact, not as a recommendation.

2. The underlying condition of your disability may itself disqualify you for service or certain MOS, no matter what the percentage rating is. Thus, we may find 30% disabled Soldiers currently serving, while disqualifying 20% disabled Soldiers with a different condition.
    You will have to check to see if you are eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
      I found this from a thread post April 23,2011 by LTC Ritchie under thread title: 40% disabled trying to go Guard

You will have to check to see if you are eligible.
      Excellent. We had two soldiers that during their SRP were listed as PTSD with their responses and they would not allow to deploy with us. That is a crucial factor with PTSD. Plus, yours is already documented and you have a disability rating. Regardless if you say you are ok; have wartime medals and a personal psychologist blessing you off; it will still be a detriment in you deploying (that you can possibly have episodes downrange and will be a hinderance to the unit).

Comment

Prior service can have no more than 30% disability to enlist. If it exceeds the 30%, the remainder would need to be forfeited. It is possible that the reasons for the disability are disqualifications from re-enlistment in and of themselves. Currently, a history PTSD is a disqualification for re-enlistment. It is one of those issues (currently) where, once you decide to get out, you better make sure you want to be out for good.

Comment

Originally posted by silkiechicken View Post
          Gents,

I'm a former E-5, Marine Infantry Rifleman (0311) entering my senior year at Rutgers Business School with a GPA of 3.8 in Finance. There is nothing more that I want to do is to return to military and serve my country in the Infantry/SF pipeline.
          To add to the above comments. Having a history of PTSD will "definitely" disqualify you for OCS, Infantry and Special Forces
          Last edited by SF Hunter; January 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM. Reason: edt

Comment

Check out this link, may help answer your questions: http://dma.wi.gov/dma/retirees/brief...reat_Myths.pdf

Comment

Working...
            X