Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJ National Guard Officer

Hello,

I am leaning towards enrolling as a 09S, and shipping out this summer (I start grad school this spring along with a new job. So, I've got to hold out for a little while).

Now, I know it has been discussed to no end on other threads, but I have some specific questions that I could not find answers too.

I'd like the opportunity to get schooled in something that I'd have no shot at getting in the civilian world. Programs like sniper school, and the various survival schools are very appealing. I am familiar with what I have to do in order to complete my part to get into one of those schools, and I am committed to trying my best.

My concern- I have read that the NJ national guard is very low on funds. Is anyone familiar with what the situation is? And, has the state suspended sending soldiers to different schools? I'd just like to get into some information on what kind of climate I am getting into so I can make the best decision.

Thanks for all your insight on this thread, and all the other threads on this site. They are all very informative, and I have learned a lot.

Re: NJ National Guard Officer

Originally posted by tommyirish23 View Post
    Hello,

I am leaning towards enrolling as a 09S, and shipping out this summer (I start grad school this spring along with a new job. So, I've got to hold out for a little while).

Now, I know it has been discussed to no end on other threads, but I have some specific questions that I could not find answers too.

I'd like the opportunity to get schooled in something that I'd have no shot at getting in the civilian world. Programs like sniper school, and the various survival schools are very appealing. I am familiar with what I have to do in order to complete my part to get into one of those schools, and I am committed to trying my best.

My concern- I have read that the NJ national guard is very low on funds. Is anyone familiar with what the situation is? And, has the state suspended sending soldiers to different schools? I'd just like to get into some information on what kind of climate I am getting into so I can make the best decision.

Thanks for all your insight on this thread, and all the other threads on this site. They are all very informative, and I have learned a lot.
    The National Guard is low on funds...period. Not just New Jersey. Is it possible you can go to special schools, yes; however for the most part it is highly unlikly. There has to be a cost vs. benefit analysis done per say, they are not just going to send you to sniper school because you want to go and have what it takes, there has to be a benefit to the NJARNG. Depending on what you branch you may have a shot at some schools (Infantry Officer is your best shot at most) however sniper school specifically is more of an elisted occupation/training course. I have never met a officer who went to any type of sniper training (as an officer) any where in the Army except for maybe a couple Special Forces Captains.

That is not to say it couldn't be done. There are exceptions to every rule, just don't get your hopes up for that.

Comment

Realize you won't even have any chance for an advanced school for several years, there really isn't a reason to talk about budgets as a lot can change during that time.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
        Realize you won't even have any chance for an advanced school for several years, there really isn't a reason to talk about budgets as a lot can change during that time.
        Also a good point. He/she is reasonably two years away from being a fully qualified LT in anything.

Comment

I appreciate all of your insight. I know that those special school opportunities are years away, but I'd still like to get a sense of where the organization is heading.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyirish23 View Post
            I appreciate all of your insight. I know that those special school opportunities are years away, but I'd still like to get a sense of where the organization is heading.
            If you are going the O9S route, I doubt that sniper school will be something that is offered to you. For example, I want Pathfinder but because of my rank, job and slot; I will never get it despite being qualified for it.

Plus, nobody on this site will know about the forecast of funding or how a unit or SM will be affected. I know soldiers who were in the Guard get schools (regardless if there was not any funding) depending on the MOS and mission. Funds could be found or allocated from elsewhere.

Like John Candy said in Planes, Trains or Automobiles making an obscene analogy similar to finding a needle in a haystack. What you ask, may or may not have no relevance at all on your future aspirations so do not focus on the funding issue.

Comment

As a NJARNG officer, I can tell you that budget is always a problem, period. I sent you a message about this too, but long story short, be in shape. If you branch Infantry you have a leg up on applying for Ranger and Airborne but you need to be in shape and on your game. You can apply as often as you like. Set yourself apart from your peers and keep asking.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
                As a NJARNG officer, I can tell you that budget is always a problem, period. I sent you a message about this too, but long story short, be in shape. If you branch Infantry you have a leg up on applying for Ranger and Airborne but you need to be in shape and on your game. You can apply as often as you like. Set yourself apart from your peers and keep asking.
                Budgets are short nation wide. And Army wide. This is not a NJ specific thing. All of DOD is short funds. Watch CNN and find out why.

No officer goes to sniper school, it is an enlisted only school.

Comment

Working...
                X