Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

    Bergen, Doris L. The Sword of the Lord: Military Chaplains from the First to the
    Twenty-First Century. Notre Dame: University, 2004.
    This is a great read for a new candidate or somone interested in the history of the chaplaincy. It is throughly academic and is therefore appealing to the seminarian or scholar. Bergen focuses her attention on the Western development of the chaplain from the Roman Empire to today. It's a great read, I highly recommend it if you are interested in the history of the chaplaincy.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 10th, 2011, 12:19 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

    Dalessandro, Robert J. Army Officer's Guide: 51st Edition. Mechanicsburg: Stackpole, 2009.
    This is a must read for a new Chaplain Candidate, or fresh battalion Chaplain. This book is not an official Army publication, however it does contain a large amount information on Army traditions and customs. It also will help you keep yourself from looking totally clueless as a new directly commissioned 2LT. It's a good read, I recommend it.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 10th, 2011, 12:19 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

      Christ, Jesus. Holy Bible

      That's another good one for chaplains.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

        Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
        Christ, Jesus. Holy Bible

        That's another good one for chaplains.
        You made me spit up my wine on my computer screen. Thanks.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

          Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
          Christ, Jesus. Holy Bible

          That's another good one for chaplains.
          Well, that's an inappropriate statement.

          Chaplains represent a diverse background of faiths: there are Imams, Rabbis, Buddhist Priests, those that make up the Christian Tradition, even I think there is a Hindu Chaplain now.

          Chaplain's are committed to pluarlism and your statment RSPNCO is very exclusive and not tasteful.

          And it's really not even a good depiction of the Christian Faith.

          I encourage you to display some sensitivity towards other's faith.

          Mutual Respect.
          Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 10th, 2011, 08:17 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

            Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
            Chaplains represent a diverse background of faiths: there of Imams, Rabbis, Buddhist Priests, those that make up the Christian Tradition, even I think there is a Hindu Chaplain now.
            Touche


            Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
            Chaplain's are committed to pluarlism and your statment RSPNCO is very exclusive and not tasteful.

            And it's really not even a good depiction of the Christian Faith.

            I encourage you to display some sensitivity towards other's faith.

            Mutual Respect.
            I dont believe I said anything insensitive. I said nothing to take away from any other religion. Perhaps it would have been better if I would have specified that the Bible would be appropriate reading for "protestant" and "catholic" chaplains.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

              You forgot Latter Day Saint.

              I know your chaplain. CH LTC, I can help you set up a session with him so you can work some of this out. jk jk jk......take care SSG.
              Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

                Cash, Carry. A Table in the Presence.

                This is a Navy/Marine Chaplain's account of his experience and ministry during the first days of OIF. I think is a good depiction of the ministry in the field.
                Last edited by Chaplain4me; September 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

                  Sides, Hampton. Ghost Soldiers. New York: Anchor Books, 2002.

                  This is an excellent recounting of the largest prison rescue mission in American history. The book vividly describes the horrific conditions of being a prisoner of war. It also describes how the newly formed Rangers set about the task of rescuing the prisoners. For chaplains or potential chaplains, the book describes how chaplains assisted in the resistance against the enemy while in prison and how they continued in their ministry while behind the barbed wire. The heroic effort of the Rangers, Soldiers, and Chaplains is amazing. If you want an understanding of the experience of being a POW and how to continue ministry and resistance under extreme circumstances, then this is a good read.
                  Last edited by Chaplain4me; March 4th, 2012, 04:35 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

                    Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                    Sides, Hampton. Ghost Soldiers. New York: Anchor Books, 2002.

                    This is an excellent recounting of the largest prison rescue mission in American history. The book vividly describes the horrific conditions of being a prisoner of war. It also describes how the newly formed Rangers set about the task of rescuing the prisoners. For chaplains or potential chaplains, the book describes how chaplains assisted in the resistance against the enemy while in prison and how they continued in their ministry while behind the barbed wire. The heroic effort of the Rangers, Soldiers, and Chaplains is amazing. If you want an understanding of the experience of being a POW and how to continue ministry and resistance under extreme circumstances, then this is a good read.
                    I just saw the movie again based on the book. It is called the Great Raid and it is an excellent movie. Here is the trailer.

                    http://www.youtube.com/v/oIEn0x3r-N0

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

                      I'm going to have to watch that. I didn't see a character based on CH Taylor, or any of the other Chaplains that were in the camp in the casting. It's really an amazing story, how the rescue went off almost totally without a casuatly. In fact at one point the enemy left them in the camp unguarded, until more enemies came. Probably my favorite part was when the chaplain was working with "high pockets" to smuggle in contraband. Along with the atrocities of the Bataan death march which were very alarming.

                      I have a question for you....is the order to surrender to the enemy a lawful order? Not everyone surrendered.....I guess it's not a situation that anyone wants to find themselves in.
                      Last edited by Chaplain4me; March 4th, 2012, 08:57 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

                        As an officer, I adhere to the code of conduct and will never violate article 99.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

                          Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                          As an officer, I adhere to the code of conduct and will never violate article 99.
                          So what I hear you saying is that if you found yourself in a situation similar to Bataan, that you would not surrender even if a superior officer surrenders the entire unit? I guess that situation is highly improbable; difficult choices either way, one faced with sure defeat and death, or hope the enemy will treat you humanely.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

                            Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                            So what I hear you saying is that if you found yourself in a situation similar to Bataan, that you would not surrender even if a superior officer surrenders the entire unit? I guess that situation is highly improbable; difficult choices either way, one faced with sure defeat and death, or hope the enemy will treat you humanely.
                            I had experiences in combat and as God as my witness; I stick by my answer. I hope that I never experience something as what the veterans of Bataan did and based on your questions; so many variables are possible than can present various outcomes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Great Books for People Preparing for Chaplaincy

                              Sheeler, Jim. Final Salute: A Story of Unfinished Lives. New York: Penguin, 2008.

                              This book is about the experiences of a Casualty Notification Officer's experiences. The value of this text to the future chaplain is that it gives insight into how a causality notification takes place. Chaplains accompany the CNO for the notification. The book really shows the pain and healing surrounding a casualty notification. I highly recommend this text.
                              Last edited by Chaplain4me; March 16th, 2012, 10:01 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X