X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RN looking to join

I have looked to join in the past but haven't been able because I only have an associates. I am currently an RN in an RN-BSN program with about a year left. It seems like the National Guard is being very selective with what nurses they take. So since its practically impossible to join with an ASN I am pursuing my BSN. What else can I do to "look better" to the National Guard when I get the BSN? Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Re: RN looking to join

Have you looked at the USAR? They have the majority of the medical units.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
      Have you looked at the USAR? They have the majority of the medical units.
      Good advice, this ^^^.

Since the Guard is more combat arms focused than the Reserve, there aren't a whole lot of RN slots in the Guard. The Guard utilizes 68W (medics) and PAs/Docs heavily, but not so much nurses.

Contact your state AMEDD recruiter (contact 800-Go-Guard to ask for a current name/phone) and find out if there are any slots in your state for RNs anyway. If not, you'd have to go USAR, which has a lot of need. Good luck!

Comment

Here in Pennsylvania I hear the same as your saying... no slots available. So I contacted the reserves asking if I can join with my ASN if I'm working on my BSN. They told me about joining as a 68W and then obtain money for my BSN. After hearing that I figured it was best just to get my BSN. It's too bad they won't let me join with the ASN I'm more than willing to go on for my BSN and even my MSN. I really want to join the Army now but I just need to have some patience, which I don't have enough of! Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by lwood336 View Post
          Here in Pennsylvania I hear the same as your saying... no slots available. So I contacted the reserves asking if I can join with my ASN if I'm working on my BSN. They told me about joining as a 68W and then obtain money for my BSN. After hearing that I figured it was best just to get my BSN.
          Yeah, a lot of recruiters try that one. Sign up NOW, even if it's for a specialty you're not interested in pursuing, and it'll all work out in the end.

Good call on getting your BSN first. Enlisting and going through a LOT of schooling for a MOS you have no plans to practice in is probably penny-wise and pound-foolish. The $4500/year in tuition waiver is nice, but probably not at the expense of pushing out your BSN for a year. Unless you live in a state where you get school paid for as a drilling member of the Guard, but even then, it's a pretty questionable career plan to go that route.

If you're working on your BSN now, you should have it in a year or two and then the Reserve should be delighted to have you. They also have loan repayment (as does the Guard, if slots open up). Good luck with the wait.

By the way, if you weren't talking to an AMEDD Officer recruiter, call the 800 number above and make sure you talk to the right person. If you talk to a standard non-AMEDD enlisted recruiter, they can sometimes have old or bad info, usually in the favor of a non-AMEDD enlistment...

Comment

Thanks again for the info and advice... I'm just counting down until I complete the bachelors. That should be around June 2012 and hopefully they will still be in need of nurses.

Comment

You might also broaden your horizons a little. If you can't find a slot as a nurse, ask about Medical Services Corps, and work in medical operations, logistics, patient admin, and the other non-clinical fields. This is also a small career field, and will require the attention of an actual AMEDD Recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                You might also broaden your horizons a little. If you can't find a slot as a nurse, ask about Medical Services Corps, and work in medical operations, logistics, patient admin, and the other non-clinical fields. This is also a small career field, and will require the attention of an actual AMEDD Recruiter.
                +1 for the medical service corps. We actually had a guy branch that from OCS and is waiting on his amedd board. sounds like an interesting gig

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
                  +1 for the medical service corps. We actually had a guy branch that from OCS and is waiting on his amedd board. sounds like an interesting gig
                  Not so much. PHAs. In January, you will see bud.

Comment

Working...
                  X