X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65D Direct Commission

I am a Physician Assistant in the process of a direct commission into the ARNG. I only have a few months left before I begin drill with assigned infantry regiment and then OBLC at fort Sam Houston. No Prior Military experience.
    Are there any other PA's or other AMEDD professionals out there with advice as to what to expect and what I can/should prepare for ahead of time?
    Also what are specific duties and responsibilities for PA's?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Re: 65D Direct Commission

I'd be surprised if you actually drilled with the infantry unit. As a PA, I would think you'd work with AMEDD doing PA stuff, then again, that is unit specific so I may be wrong. I'm in a medical unit, and I've never seen one of our MedPros. OBLC is a decent time. It's almost all living in the field on a small "FOB" in tents. Get to be friends with the prior service people. They will help you out. San Antonio is fun, but you probably won't have but a few days off. The bright side is, you should be in the short course, not the nine week class.

I'm going to be down there all July and August in an advanced course. I'd be happy to help out if you are down there.

Comment

Re: 65D Direct Commission

Actually you most likely will drill with your infantry unit. I am a ARNG PA in an infantry battalion and I drill with them. Responsibilities include training the medics, overseeing medical operations, and possibly being the medical platoon leader if you don't have a MSC (medical service corps officer) as a PL.

Can't help you on the BOLC, I direct commissioned with 17 yr prior service, so got constructive credit. Fort Sam is great, I did a couple of other courses there. You will be at Camp Bullis for most of your training, just north of San Antonio.

Good luck. Message me if you want for info.

Comment

Working...
      X