X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing weight and lifting weights

im a 5'5 male and i weigh 170 and i to get down to 138 to be at a normal weight. so heres my question with my cardio can i lift weights to help me loose more weight or will it slow me down for getting at my goal weight? and how many sets and reps should i do?

Re: losing weight and lifting weights

Too many variables to give you a good answer. My best advice is to talk with a fitness professional as "normal" weight depends on the individual. For instance I'm 5'5 and I weigh 159lbs but I'm right around 8-10% BF. So while I dance on the line as far as my weight limit by age by height according to the Army, I am most certainly at the ideal weight for me. So, get in touch with a professional with the goal of meeting the Army's height/weight requirement and being in good all around physical conditioning to meet the demands of military service.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
      Too many variables to give you a good answer. My best advice is to talk with a fitness professional as "normal" weight depends on the individual. For instance I'm 5'5 and I weigh 159lbs but I'm right around 8-10% BF. So while I dance on the line as far as my weight limit by age by height according to the Army, I am most certainly at the ideal weight for me. So, get in touch with a professional with the goal of meeting the Army's height/weight requirement and being in good all around physical conditioning to meet the demands of military service.
      my recruiter told me a good weight to be at is 138

Comment

That may be a good weight - probably in the middle of your min/max Army standards. What SGT Juggernaut was saying is that may not be the weight for you. Some people can weight over their max but be taped and be well under their max body fat % and can enlist with no problem.

Comment

Is your recruiter a fitness professional? Losing 32lbs could be too much depending on your body and physical conditioning. Last time I weighed 138 was when I was a junior in highschool. I would really have to starve myself and lose some muscle to get to 138 as I am right now. You see what I'm getting at? Consult with a fitness professional.

Comment

If you want a way to do both at once use Kettlebells because you are getting cardio while lifting weights. Trust me it works!

Comment

i just want to loose weight and i was wonderig if i can lift my weights after my cardio i dont want to bulk up i want slim and get cut.

Comment

Originally posted by luis1987 View Post
                i just want to loose weight and i was wonderig if i can lift my weights after my cardio i dont want to bulk up i want slim and get cut.
                My personal trainer told me, when I was concerned about the same thing, that you would have to lift ALOT of heavy weights & consume alot of protein, etc before you will 'bulk up'. Lifting weights on alternate days for your cardio not only will give the 'cardio mucles' (like your legs of you run) a chance to rest, but by building up muscle by lifting weights, you will burn more fat (slightly).

Alternating with cardio is also good for those 'weight-lifting' muscles as they will, as well, need a day to recover. When you lift weights, you tear down the muscle mass and then, by having a rest day every other day, as well as eating healthy with lean proteins, you build that muscle back up stronger than before.

Speak to a health care professional or a personal trainer for more information and/or a specific health plan tailored to your needs and goals.

Comment

Yea all I really want to do is slim and get cut and get rid of my gut.

Comment

I think running is your best bet. I trimmed down from 185-190 to under 160 when I was 15 years old by running and limiting my calorie intake. (I didn't drink soda for a whole month or more either). Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may actually gain weight or stay around the same by lifting, but it won't really matter if you tape okay. All that matters is how you tape if you are over the designated weight for your height.

Cardio seems to be the way to go to be in the best shape for the military. It's what I plan on working on the most, with some weight lifting, sit-ups and push-ups.
                    Last edited by Major General Discharge; December 31st, 2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X