X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the best way to tone

im trying to cut down to 135 but once i do i want to tone my body up whats the right amount of sets to do? 4 sets of 15? please help me out.

Re: whats the best way to tone

Are you a female or a male?

Comment

The best thing to do to add muscle would be one of the following routines:

-Full body (3 days/week) (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843)
      -Upper/lower (3-4 days/week) (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=115643271)
      -Push/Pull (3-4 days/week)
      -Other split (sites like bodybuilding.com, t-nation.com, etc could help you out)

The rep/set scheme will vary depending on what routine you follow. If you're a book type of person, I would recommend "The New Rules of Lifting" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. It outlines 9 different routines depending on fat loss, hypertrophy, and strength.

In addition to the lifting, you need to have proper diet. All the lifting in the world is not going to amount to anything if you don't have the right fuel going into your body. Getting adequate protein for building muscle (amounts vary from 1 gram/kg all the way up to 2+ grams/lb bodyweight, 1gram/lb is usually a good reference to start), adequate carbs for fueling your workouts, and fats can help with hormones/other body functions.

A good starting point would be 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, 0.5 grams of fat per pound and the rest of the calories should be filled up by carbs. Adjusting the carbs should give you the "toning" you are looking for. By lowering carbs you can lose fat and by upping them you can help put on weight. Just depends on your goals.
      Last edited by laxer32; December 15th, 2011, 11:15 AM.

Comment

In general I like to do a light weight that I can do at least 12-15 reps and sets of 4. I have gotten great results for toning.

Comment

Working...
        X