X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two ACL reconstruction surgeries

In the past two years, I have torn the ACL in both of my knees. I had surgery on my right knee, and im having surgery on my left knee in a few weeks. My doctor released me to go back to full physical activity for my right knee and he is expecting a full recovery of my left knee this time aswell. My question is, does having these surgeries disqualify me for joing?

Re: Two ACL reconstruction surgeries

You could possibly get a medical waiver, but you have to consider capacity. And with the Army being at 145% right now and cutting back, the odds of you getting one of those waivers would be near impossible.

Comment

Having recontructed ACL surgery does not disqualify you right away. History of surgery to repair ACLs does meet the current medical standards if 12 months have elasped since the reconstruction and the knee is stable and assymptomatic. You would need to be cleared from your Doctor. However if ACL recontruction is a recurrent issue, it is a disqualification. You would need to check with your state for their specifics on medical standards as it varies based on their individual needs. Medical regulations are also subject to change so it is best to stay on top of the most recent listing. In the end the final call is still up to the doctors at MEPS. Even if you are cleared by your civilian physician and have a waiver. But best of luck to you with both the surgery and the enlistment.

Comment

First of all, Thank you both for your reply. It has been my dream since I was quite young to serve my country.

Firefly, do you know of any website that could help me out?

Comment

Originally posted by jtsilcox View Post
          First of all, Thank you both for your reply. It has been my dream since I was quite young to serve my country.

Firefly, do you know of any website that could help me out?
          There is no website to help you. Have your surgert, pt, wait a year, contact a recruiter too see if you can get a waiver. Keep copies of all your medical records to submit to MEPS when the time comes. Best of luck to you. I am waiting to see if I will be allowed to physical at MEPS from a shoulder surgery in 1998.

Comment

Working...
          X