Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

    I am a 27 yo female and I've noticed that the more and more I have started training and working on my push ups, my left thumb & wrist begins to hurt and get a little swollen. It feels almost numbing and it takes a lot for me to grip or do daily activities, even driving sometimes. The pain also causes my fingers to lock and stiffen. I never really noticed this problem before and feel that working out may be a trigger. I have been attending RSP and working out on my own time..but I am beginning to pace myself because of the pain. My ship date is 20120124...can this hinder my ship date or disqualify me? I haven't seen an ortho doc because I don't have any insurance and don't have the funds to apply for Tricare at the moment. The only thing that seems to ease the pain is advil & a brace I recently bought.

    What can happen?

  • #2
    Re: Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

    Just stop working out for now. You ship out soon enough, you only need to do 3 push ups before shipping out. Don't risk an injury if you're worried about it. Let your RSP know it is bothering you, but I wouldn't go to a doctor about it yet.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

      Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
      Just stop working out for now. You ship out soon enough, you only need to do 3 push ups before shipping out. Don't risk an injury if you're worried about it. Let your RSP know it is bothering you, but I wouldn't go to a doctor about it yet.
      Okay, thank you.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

        You may benefit from a consultation with a physical therapist. They can show you how to do targeted exercises and stretching to avoid such problems.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

          Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          You may benefit from a consultation with a physical therapist. They can show you how to do targeted exercises and stretching to avoid such problems.
          I was thinking of that, I know that would help.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

            My physical therapist told me soreness can come from the fact there's no muscles in your wrist, just tendons, so when you start working out alot & over using them, it can get sore; doesnt necessarily mean carpal tunnel. There are stretching exercises that can be done, my physical therapist gave me a sheet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

              Thanks all for your feedback. I have actually laid off the push ups since my first post here. I have drill this upcoming weekend so I'll worry about my hand then. If I feel the pain again, I will let RSP know. Also, I don't want to think I'm in terrible shape because I'm really not, but I have noticed shortness of breath when I'm doing my run. Last drill I attended, I couldn't complete the 2 mile run because my chest got tight and I was short of breath. I feel very discouraged with my health right now. These are things I never noticed until I started training these past two months.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

                Tight chest and shortness of breath just means your out of shape, but just takes just takes time and practice to improve.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

                  Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                  Tight chest and shortness of breath just means your out of shape, but just takes just takes time and practice to improve.

                  It's like once I go for a run/jog in the cold, I feel my chest tightening...no matter how often I do it. It's def a challenge, especially when I don't consider myself to be overweight. I'm about 120 lbs. Don't know why I'm having trouble breathing when I run. Could it be because I used to smoke a lot before I even enlisted....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

                    You’re probably just not used to working out in the cold air, but you can become acclimated to it over time. Exercising in cold air enhances bronchial responsiveness (BR) as compared with exercising in warm air. This may be due to intrathoracic cooling or to increased vagal activity caused by facial cooling. A balaclava can be used to cover your face, and keep the cold air from triggering bronchospasm.

                    It isn't merely breathing cold air that contributes to asthma and bronchial constriction, but "facial cooling" that triggers the response. This is considered a reflexive triggering of the vagus nerve. Facial cooling can trigger other vagal nerve reactions, including slowing up of heart beat, which will limit your ability to exercise. A Balaclava head covering, in addition to a hat can help. In severe cold you can add a face mask.

                    **Safety First: Make sure you have clearance from your physician for the exercise you do, and the conditions in which you do it...especially if you have not exercised in a while or ever and if you used to smoke. If the chest tightening continues, speak to your physician.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

                      Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                      You’re probably just not used to working out in the cold air, but you can become acclimated to it over time. Exercising in cold air enhances bronchial responsiveness (BR) as compared with exercising in warm air. This may be due to intrathoracic cooling or to increased vagal activity caused by facial cooling. A balaclava can be used to cover your face, and keep the cold air from triggering bronchospasm.

                      It isn't merely breathing cold air that contributes to asthma and bronchial constriction, but "facial cooling" that triggers the response. This is considered a reflexive triggering of the vagus nerve. Facial cooling can trigger other vagal nerve reactions, including slowing up of heart beat, which will limit your ability to exercise. A Balaclava head covering, in addition to a hat can help. In severe cold you can add a face mask.

                      **Safety First: Make sure you have clearance from your physician for the exercise you do, and the conditions in which you do it...especially if you have not exercised in a while or ever and if you used to smoke. If the chest tightening continues, speak to your physician.
                      Thanks Chris, just concerned about my health before shipping out to BCT next month. I was cleared at MEPS here in my home state, and I don't have any health issues that I am aware of but have def noticed a bit of change when I exercise. Appreciate all of your feedback ...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

                        Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                        You’re probably just not used to working out in the cold air, but you can become acclimated to it over time. Exercising in cold air enhances bronchial responsiveness (BR) as compared with exercising in warm air. This may be due to intrathoracic cooling or to increased vagal activity caused by facial cooling. A balaclava can be used to cover your face, and keep the cold air from triggering bronchospasm.

                        It isn't merely breathing cold air that contributes to asthma and bronchial constriction, but "facial cooling" that triggers the response. This is considered a reflexive triggering of the vagus nerve. Facial cooling can trigger other vagal nerve reactions, including slowing up of heart beat, which will limit your ability to exercise. A Balaclava head covering, in addition to a hat can help. In severe cold you can add a face mask.

                        **Safety First: Make sure you have clearance from your physician for the exercise you do, and the conditions in which you do it...especially if you have not exercised in a while or ever and if you used to smoke. If the chest tightening continues, speak to your physician.

                        Thank you for your feedback Chris. I will be seeing a doctor and possibly speaking to my recruiter if this continues during drill pt this weekend. I appreciate your feedback.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Wrist pain/ carpal tunnel?

                          I have had wrist pains from too much computer useage for many years, but it doesn't bother me too much during workouts. One thing I do is use the mouse with my left hand instead of the right hand often and that tends to even things out a bit. It helps a lot.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X