Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lots of weight to lose

Originally posted by shallwestart View Post
    HI, if you cant runn walk 45 minutes a day which will reduce your weight consistently.
    I can run 5 plus miles at a time at just under a 10 minute mile pace but thanks for the advice from when I started 11 months ago :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ennysmith
      you also control on your diet.
      I have lost 72 pounds in 11 months, 16 pounds left to lose. The last 20 have been the hardest!

Comment

Why is it that the doctor's scales always read as heavier then regular at home scales? I have an analog scale that will read right - put a dumbbell on it and it is accurate. But, then I go to the doctor or the gym and the scale - the one that has the levers you slide and the height bar - and I am always 5-10 pounds heavier. Granted I weigh myself at home in the morning and when I get to the gym it is a few hours later and I have eaten and had plenty of water but that is a pretty big difference. As I get closer to my ideal weight and closer to going to MEPS (for Air National Guard) I am wondering if I need to be way under my max according to my scale just to squeak by at MEPS???

Comment

I had to lose about 20 lbs to get in. I was so psycho by the time it came that I actually brought my bathroom scale with me to the hotel lol My scale had me as about .5 lbs heavier than the MEPS scale. They use a digital one. You step on a little platform thing and the read out is on a separate thing for the Nurse to read. Honestly, if you are within 1-3 lbs of your max weight when you go I suggest not eating breakfast that morning (which stinks as everyone else is pigging out on bacon and eggs) and only taking little sips of water. You are naturally dehydrated in the morning which is why you are usually at your lowest weight then. You don't get to eat again until lunch and as long as you don't stand at the drinking fountain for a while you will stay at that early morning weight. If you do this just be sure you don't pee in the morning or you'll be too parched to do it for your test

Comment

Originally posted by gheart68w View Post
            I had to lose about 20 lbs to get in. I was so psycho by the time it came that I actually brought my bathroom scale with me to the hotel lol My scale had me as about .5 lbs heavier than the MEPS scale. They use a digital one. You step on a little platform thing and the read out is on a separate thing for the Nurse to read. Honestly, if you are within 1-3 lbs of your max weight when you go I suggest not eating breakfast that morning (which stinks as everyone else is pigging out on bacon and eggs) and only taking little sips of water. You are naturally dehydrated in the morning which is why you are usually at your lowest weight then. You don't get to eat again until lunch and as long as you don't stand at the drinking fountain for a while you will stay at that early morning weight. If you do this just be sure you don't pee in the morning or you'll be too parched to do it for your test
            What did you do to lose the 20 pounds? These last 20 pounds have been the hardest for me!

Comment

Ugh I know, the first 10-12 came off so quick and I was so stoked, but the last 10 was painstaking. As you know it gets more difficult as you get closer to your goal weight. Once I started to slow down I completely did a revamp of my workout. After doing research apparently your body gets used to workouts and they are less effective. Don't know how true that is, but it certainly seems to cause weight loss plateaus. I started doing more interval cardio workouts. I used to do just 45 minutes straight on the elliptical at the gym, but I changed it to 30 minutes on the treadmill first and then 30 minutes on the elliptical after. When I was on them I would sprint/speed up for 1 minute straight and then slow down for 1-2 minutes and then repeat. It was a much harder workout then just putzing along for 45 straight minutes.

I also started doing more sprints at the track. I don't know if you're doing these already or not, but I started with 30/60s and moved up to 60/120s so 60 second sprint followed by 120 seconds of brisk walking or slow jogging. Anything really that raises and lowers your heart rate consistently.

EDIT: Also try looking into Cross Fit type workouts! They are a great explosive cardio workout and also works your muscles without bulking you up. Get those muscles working and they burn calories for you throughout the rest of the day!
              Last edited by gheart68w; August 28th, 2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gheart68w View Post
                Ugh I know, the first 10-12 came off so quick and I was so stoked, but the last 10 was painstaking. As you know it gets more difficult as you get closer to your goal weight. Once I started to slow down I completely did a revamp of my workout. After doing research apparently your body gets used to workouts and they are less effective. Don't know how true that is, but it certainly seems to cause weight loss plateaus. I started doing more interval cardio workouts. I used to do just 45 minutes straight on the elliptical at the gym, but I changed it to 30 minutes on the treadmill first and then 30 minutes on the elliptical after. When I was on them I would sprint/speed up for 1 minute straight and then slow down for 1-2 minutes and then repeat. It was a much harder workout then just putzing along for 45 straight minutes.

I also started doing more sprints at the track. I don't know if you're doing these already or not, but I started with 30/60s and moved up to 60/120s so 60 second sprint followed by 120 seconds of brisk walking or slow jogging. Anything really that raises and lowers your heart rate consistently.

EDIT: Also try looking into Cross Fit type workouts! They are a great explosive cardio workout and also works your muscles without bulking you up. Get those muscles working and they burn calories for you throughout the rest of the day!
                Thanks for your input. I have 16 pounds left to lose - which seems so little but yet is so much!

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                  Thanks for your input. I have 16 pounds left to lose - which seems so little but yet is so much!
                  Remember try the best you can to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup as best you can and that will help with the weight lose.

Comment

Have you been taped recently robin?

Comment

you have to cut calories and do the cardio. all of the aforementioned replies are good.
                      if you can't run right much right now, get on a spin bike at the gym and turn up the resistance or the elliptical as mentioned. run as much as you can but dont injure yourself. you have to get your heart rate elevated and keep it elevated.
                      keep a journal of what you eat every day as well as your exercise routine.

Comment

Originally posted by loisa View Post
                        you have to cut calories and do the cardio. all of the aforementioned replies are good.
                        if you can't run right much right now, get on a spin bike at the gym and turn up the resistance or the elliptical as mentioned. run as much as you can but dont injure yourself. you have to get your heart rate elevated and keep it elevated.
                        keep a journal of what you eat every day as well as your exercise routine.
                        Thanks for the advice but you are kind of behind. As stated a few posts back, I can run 5 miles at just under a 10 minute mile and I run at least 3 times a week - the other days I do different cardio so I think I have the running down and can do plenty of it. I have lost 73 pounds so I am pretty good at cutting calories, exercising, getting my heart rate elevated, etc.
                        As of right now, I am trying to lose the last 15 pounds but thanks anyway for your advice.

Comment

I am scheduled to go to MEPS October 17 for the ANG - still have 13 pounds to lose HELP

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                            I am scheduled to go to MEPS October 17 for the ANG - still have 13 pounds to lose HELP
                            Oh man...I dont know what else to recommend that you havent already been doing. This is hard...

Comment

Originally posted by SpcSlimDizzle View Post
                              Oh man...I dont know what else to recommend that you havent already been doing. This is hard...
                              Thanks. I will just keep doing what I am doing...I don't want to cut my calories below 1200 bcz I am afraid that might be counter productive.
                              I have read a few posts about things to do the night before MEPS but I don't want to do anything drastic that will risk my health...

Comment

Robin, with as much as you run, 1200 is on the low end anyway. I wouldnt cut anymore. Only other thing I can recommend that my doctor did was liquid. Replace a couple of meals with a shake or juice (like from a juicer). That may get you over the hump. Another thing I did before MEPS was wrap in Saran wrap. Its nothing drastic, but it gave me a half an inch. Good Luck Robin...I know its been a long time coming for you.
                                Last edited by B.Wood; November 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X