Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lots of weight to lose

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
    Explain this one to me...How come if you weigh yourself before you go to bed and then again when you wake there is normally about a 2 pound difference in the morning???

The answer is loss of water. When sleeping, a person actually expels a large quantity of water through sweat. But this isn't actually "weight" that you are losing. As you noticed, it is quickly replaced when you drink or eat something. That's why "spitting", going to a sauna, or drinking gallons of water isn't going to cut it when trying to keep the weight off. Once you go back to a normal diet, your body will gain all that water weight back.

Comment

getting frustrated
      Last edited by robinpugs06; August 3rd, 2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
        The answer is loss of water. When sleeping, a person actually expels a large quantity of water through sweat. But this isn't actually "weight" that you are losing. As you noticed, it is quickly replaced when you drink or eat something. That's why "spitting", going to a sauna, or drinking gallons of water isn't going to cut it when trying to keep the weight off. Once you go back to a normal diet, your body will gain all that water weight back.

You're telling me I sweat 2 pounds of water every night? I'm pretty sure I'd be laying in a puddle and have wet clothes if that ws the case.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
          You're telling me I sweat 2 pounds of water every night? I'm pretty sure I'd be laying in a puddle and have wet clothes if that ws the case.
          LMGTFY:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/well...uestion227.htm

Comment

I thought running was the best way to lose weight and inches quicker? Why am I not seeing it? Is it because my legs are getting more muscle that the weight isn't really going down much - or really at all I should say? Nothing seems to be happening in the way of inches either - well where I need it that is. My thighs have gotten smaller but I need to lose more in the hips and abdomen so I can make tape. I am not sure what more I can do. Sorry just frustrated ad ranting a bit!

Comment

Reading this thread has been like reading a novel. Ups and downs, twists and turns, rising action, climax. An interesting read to say the least. At first I was loaded up with sarcastic remarks about losing 100lbs before your 35th birthday, but I must say that you have really impressed me with your determination to make it happen.

A couple of thoughts. You can always go G.I. Jane and shave your head. I'm sure that hair has at least a little weight to it. Also, are you weighing yourself with all your clothes on? Becaus at MEPS you'll be in your underwear when they weigh you. Your clothing can make the difference of a couple of pounds. And make sure you're using an accurate scale. Those digital wally world scales can be extremely inacurate. At home I weigh 155 and at drill I weigh 160. This could work for or against you.

Comment

Originally posted by sv9cannon View Post
                Reading this thread has been like reading a novel. Ups and downs, twists and turns, rising action, climax. An interesting read to say the least. At first I was loaded up with sarcastic remarks about losing 100lbs before your 35th birthday, but I must say that you have really impressed me with your determination to make it happen.

A couple of thoughts. You can always go G.I. Jane and shave your head. I'm sure that hair has at least a little weight to it. Also, are you weighing yourself with all your clothes on? Becaus at MEPS you'll be in your underwear when they weigh you. Your clothing can make the difference of a couple of pounds. And make sure you're using an accurate scale. Those digital wally world scales can be extremely inacurate. At home I weigh 155 and at drill I weigh 160. This could work for or against you.
                Technically it is 95 lbs to lose - haha! I have lost 70 and had a slight set back when I bruised my left heel and took some time off of the daily intense work out - running and elliptical were out of the question! But I am back at it! I run 3-5 miles every day with A LOT of hill climbs. But the pounds aren't going down and the inches - waist and hips - aren't going down. I am staying around 1200 calories a day with limited sugar and barely any carbs (only whole wheat if any).
                I do have a lot of hair - half way down my butt. I wonder how much that weighs? :-)
                I try to weigh myself at the same time every day in my underwear. I don't use a digital scale because i too found them to be very inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                  I do have a lot of hair - half way down my butt. I wonder how much that weighs? :-)
                  Only one way to find out. Chop chop.

Comment

Seriously...The scale is NOT moving...WTF? I don't know what else to do????
                    Last edited by robinpugs06; August 4th, 2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Re: Lots of weight to lose

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                      Seriously...The scale is NOT moving...WTF? I don't know what else to do????
                      How much time do you have left? Have you tried Kettlebells? They are a great way to burn fat.

Comment

ok so first i want to start by saying congrats on losing 70 pounds so far. i think i can shed some light on why you may have stopped seeing weight loss. I personally have lost about 80 pounds from about 240 to now 160 if all you do in run and diet you're body has probably gotten used to the workout routine, you see the body is built to survive and when you run for an extended period of time with a elavated heart rate you're body will store calories as fat for reserve and also go into a catabolic state breaking down protein aka muscle for fuel. also if you run everyday you are probably overtraining you're body which will prevent you from seeing results. the best way to lose body fat is to build muscle as muscle will burn calories all day while running only burns while you are in motion. a combination of running and weight lifting is the best way to go mind you weight loss is 70 percent diet 30 percent excercise. something to also consider is when you workout you are breaking down you're muscles and when you do that you need to fuel those muscles with protien and healthy carbs to rebuild you're muscles the best way to do this is with whey protien which will give you the protien you need and help increase you're metabolism. i am sorry if i may of repeated any information already posted in this thread as i did not take the time to read all 4 pages i read the first and the last. if you are in great shape and have a very good grasp on nutrtion like counting carbs and protiens and calories you may even consider checking out the keto diet it is a zero carb diet that will turn you're fat into fuel and burn you're fat, it isnt a diet to sustain for a long time but it is proven to cut fat quickly for those who are close to there diet goals but cant quite get over that hump but i only recommend this diet if you read it throughly and really understand it. i hope some of what i wrote was some kind of helpful good luck with you're goal!
                        Last edited by svrh; August 8th, 2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Has anyone heard of an age waiver for someone in my situation - started enlistment process before I turned 35 but because of needing a medical waiver I haven't been able to complete the enlistment process before my 35th birthday (the 18th)?

Comment

are you within bodyfat? if not; I would say no.

Comment

Just about at body fat but I still haven't gotten permission from NGB to physical yet anyway. So, if I am within body fat but next Saturday (my 35th) passes and still no word from NGB is there a way to get an age waiver?

Comment

I dont know. I said about body fat because when I came back on leave from Germany last year; I was able to do some home town recruiting (yes, officers can do it). There was an African-American Female and the recruiter was taping her and I was told that he could not submit her packet until she made tape. You will have to ask your recruiter about the age waiver. I will say with the current, strict recruiting standards, the answer may be what you dont want to hear.

Comment

Working...
                                X