Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lots of weight to lose

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
    Excellent response.

And Robinpugs06, perhaps my words may have sounded cold and unmotivational but I always believe things happen for a reason and I do commend you on the drastic weight lose you have experienced for your well-being and health and sympathize on what you experienced as a young person. As a father of daughters; I will never want them to experience any kind of abuse or harm from any person. Your story makes me cringe to even think of them experiencing that type of pain.

But my point is that you should not place any harm on yourself (e.g. drastic diet; unhealthy eating or drastic PT) these last weeks so you can try to enlist in the ARNG. Yes, its commendable making the finish line losing then not to even get there. I get that.

Just have realistic expectations and understand if your goals are not attained. You still have options and if it is meant to be; it will happen.

To add to JWarren, there are more challenges after basic and AIT.
    Thank you. I would never do anything to place myself in harm - I am not doing anything drastic like starving myself or anything. Basically I am adding interval sprinting and when I am running I try to do lots of hills and keep my pace up as much as I can. I run for about 45-60 minutes daily. I have actually come to enjoy running again! I am also dropping my daily calorie intake a bit but I can't go down much more then I have without being unhealthy. I am doing a ton of crunches to try and tighten my waist.

You are right - If it is meant to be it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
      My weight needs to be 148 and my body fat % 34%
      Weight is 170 lbs
      Body Fat % is roughly 38%

Just finished my Path To Honor Application - wow that was a fun SIX hours :-)
      At least good news for the older age categories

http://www.army.mil/article/84224/Ar...some_recruits/

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, July 24, 2012) -- All male recruits age 17-20 who enlisted after May 16, must now have a body fat percentage of 24 or less before they begin basic training. For female recruits in that age category, their body fat must be at 30 percent or less.

The body fat percentage allowance for trainees of that age category had previously been two percentage points higher for both genders. But new rules spelled out in All-Army Activity, or ALARACT, directive 113/2012 have set those standards back to pre-2005 levels: 24 percent for male recruits and 30 percent for female recruits.

Standards have not changed for older age categories or for the active and reserve components.

Comment

Haha I guess that is good news!

Comment

running 3-5 miles a day, 40-60 minutes, doing a ton of crunches, eating around 1200 calories a day...any suggestions for the last 18 days I have?

Comment

running 3-5 miles a day, 40-60 minutes, doing a ton of crunches, eating around 1200 calories a day...any suggestions for the last 18 days I have?
            Yes no carbs and when you drink water only drink very cold water because it will help burn calories. Oh and when your walking after you are done running walk backwards because it burns more calories than regular walking.

Comment

Thanks. I don't eat much for carbs at all. I will add the walking backwards after my run - how long should I do it for?

Comment

I would have thought that running as much as I am every day I would see more results. I am trying to be patient but I am running out of time! Oh well I just have to keep at it!
                Last edited by robinpugs06; July 31st, 2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I will add the walking backwards after my run - how long should I do it for?
                  15 minutes three times a week.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                    15 minutes three times a week.
                    Thank you...i will add it

Comment

If you walk backwards fast enough, you can actually walk back in time to before the weight became an issue and fix it that way.

Comment

lmao. I had to read that post twice to understand the joke.

But seriously, if you hold your breath for 1 minute while flexing your abs; you can lose a pound a day.

Comment

My buddies in high school that wrestled would always spit in a bottle all day the day of a match to lose a a few pounds in order to make weight. If you're realllllly close to the cutoff, this could be an emergency option the night before/morning of going to MEPS.

Disclaimer: Dehydration is dangerous and I would never do this to myself, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Comment

Originally posted by refcorp View Post
                            My buddies in high school that wrestled would always spit in a bottle all day the day of a match to lose a a few pounds in order to make weight. If you're realllllly close to the cutoff, this could be an emergency option the night before/morning of going to MEPS.

Disclaimer: Dehydration is dangerous and I would never do this to myself, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
                            I would not recommend this. Water weights 16 oz per pound. To lose one pound of weight by spitting, you would have to fill a 20 oz bottle 3/4 full. But you are also constantly regenerating saliva so I don't know that you would lose that much weight by spitting.

Also, you will also need to whiz in a cup at MEPS and if you are extremely dehydrated they are going to make you push water. If the OP is going to make the cut, I believe she will do so out of perseverance, good judgement and hard work....not desperate measures.

NOTE: I don't know about everyone else, but we had to wee in the cup BEFORE we were taken back for weight, taping (if necessary), etc so you will NEED some liquid in you.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                              But you are also constantly regenerating saliva so I don't know that you would lose that much weight by spitting.
                              Well, notwithstanding the utter stupidity of spitting in a bottle to lose "weight," conservation of mass still applies -- whatever mass of saliva you spit into the bottle is mass that is no longer in your body.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                                Well, notwithstanding the utter stupidity of spitting in a bottle to lose "weight," conservation of mass still applies -- whatever mass of saliva you spit into the bottle is mass that is no longer in your body.
                                True! But your body constantly regenerates that mass so a noticeable result would be nil.

I agree that the "bottle spitting" concept is ludicrous.

Comment

Working...
                                X