X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lots of weight to lose

I second the comment on swimming. Low impact, great aerobic exercise that is great for someone who's joints can't handle running. Good luck to you!

Comment

I'm sure some of the fitness gurus will have plenty of suggestions, but a basic idea is that almost all of the calories that your body burns are used by some form of muscle, no matter what you are/aren't doing. While cardio & aerobic workouts are absolutely necessary and will help eliminate undesired weight quickly at first, the plateau you're experiencing is not uncommon.
      It is a slower process at first and can be discouraging, but if you can increase your resistance training in all muscle groups, you will increase your general muscle mass which will in turn increase the number of calories your body will burn during every activity in your day, including sleeping. I'm not much of a body-builder, so I prefer a more aerobic approach to weight training by doing circuits (lower weight, more reps, little rest). I like to do 3 lower body & 3 upper body exercises in a workout and I do 3 circuits of 20-25 reps on each exercise (finish one set on one exercise then move on to the next exercise then start over). The key is to move quickly from one exercise to the next with less than a minute between exercises (this can be difficult if you're working out in a crowded gym). This also a nice warm-up to a good strong 30 minute or so cardio workout (treadmill, elliptical, run, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by tlumpkin View Post
        I second the comment on swimming. Low impact, great aerobic exercise that is great for someone who's joints can't handle running. Good luck to you!
        Swimming is not an option for me as I do not have access to an indoor pool.
        I do run - 30-45 minutes daily and then do the elliptical for a total of an hour and a half of aerobic exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by A.Mac+ View Post
          I'm sure some of the fitness gurus will have plenty of suggestions, but a basic idea is that almost all of the calories that your body burns are used by some form of muscle, no matter what you are/aren't doing. While cardio & aerobic workouts are absolutely necessary and will help eliminate undesired weight quickly at first, the plateau you're experiencing is not uncommon.
          It is a slower process at first and can be discouraging, but if you can increase your resistance training in all muscle groups, you will increase your general muscle mass which will in turn increase the number of calories your body will burn during every activity in your day, including sleeping. I'm not much of a body-builder, so I prefer a more aerobic approach to weight training by doing circuits (lower weight, more reps, little rest). I like to do 3 lower body & 3 upper body exercises in a workout and I do 3 circuits of 20-25 reps on each exercise (finish one set on one exercise then move on to the next exercise then start over). The key is to move quickly from one exercise to the next with less than a minute between exercises (this can be difficult if you're working out in a crowded gym). This also a nice warm-up to a good strong 30 minute or so cardio workout (treadmill, elliptical, run, etc.)
          I wish I had access to a gym. I have some dumbells but that isn't much.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
            I wish I had access to a gym. I have some dumbells but that isn't much.
            I understand the challenge, but it is possible to do a similar workout at home, it just takes a little imagination and sometimes a lack of dignity (I'm sure it looks goofy to use buckets of rocks as dumbells, but hey, it works).

Anytime you repeatedly lift something, you are working a muscle set. If you don't have much weight available, increase the reps. It takes a few times (if you do better than me and actually log your workouts it's easier) but you want to figure out how many reps to do so that the last circuit is safely doable, but is difficult to complete. Then, as you get stronger, you increase the weight, the reps or both. It is possible to have too little weight to cause much increase in mass, but even a backpack full of books (or bricks) can be heavy enough for most exercises.

There are lots of sites with ideas on how to use your dumbells (purchased or created). Aerobic videos usually have a more whole body approach that might also give you better results than leg based exercises alone. There are some pretty good ideas over at Military.com/military-fitness.

Comment

40 lbs lost

Comment

Awesome, congrats on the progress. You're really makin' some progress.

Comment

So I have lost 60 pounds. Any suggestions on how to lose the last 20 or so pounds? I seem stuck and I am getting frustrated.

Comment

If you havent looked into it, switch to the paleo diet for awhile. Eat meat (the less legs it has the better...fish being best), vegetables, fruit and nuts. No beans (legumes), grains (rice, bread, whole grain, pasta etc), or dairy of any kind. Add sugar or salt or sweetener to nothing. Eat virtually nothing processed.

Combine that with your continued physical activity and you'll be on the fast track. You'll have an initial weight drop because of the drop in dairy and processed foods and sugars. Then you'll still continue dropping, but it wont be as rapid as the first big drop... If you're strict with it, you'll have about a week of feeling like garbage. You'll be tired, grumpy and probably craving a lot of food. Once that week is over you'll have a big energy gain.

I'm not a dietician, but its just what I've seen work for others and it works for me. I wasnt trying to lose weight, but it had that result on me too. If you want some help mixing it up, shoot me a pm and I can help you vary some workouts since your resources are limited.

Comment

I only need to lose about 15 more pounds until my recruiter feels comfortable taking me to MEPS. I have lost 64 lbs so far but now it seems to have slowed to nothing despite cardio every day and still watching my calories as well as sugar and carb intake. Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

I know it doesn't seem like the weight is coming off very quickly, but it is. Look back over this thread. On December 1, you stated that you'd lost 35 pounds, but seemed to have hit a plateau. But on December 8, it was 40 lbs.! Just 4 weeks ago it was up to 60 lbs. lost, and now you're at 64 lbs. lost. You're doing great! You've lost an entire middle school student since September! Just keep doing what you're doing. You won't see the progress day-to-day, but month-to-month. It's easiest to lose the first 10-20 lbs. After that, it's all real work. Plus, by now you're probably legitimately in pretty good shape. Your body is burning calories even when you're asleep at this point. You're getting to the point where you've changed your body chemistry and metabolism into an engine for the creation of power and energy. Your body is becoming more efficient, which means it doesn't have to dip as deeply into the fat reserves to keep going. Just got to crank up the workouts another notch and keep at it. Congratulations!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I am just feeling the crunch because my recruiter wants me to go to MEPS by the end of May bcz I will most likely need a waiver for shoulder surgery I had in 1998 which can take two months
                          to get and I will be 35 in August. That is about 8 weeks away and I have 24 pounds to go to make my weight. That means I need to lose 3 pounds a week. I was doing that before but now I am not despite my efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                            Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I am just feeling the crunch because my recruiter wants me to go to MEPS by the end of May bcz I will most likely need a waiver for shoulder surgery I had in 1998 which can take two months
                            to get and I will be 35 in August. That is about 8 weeks away and I have 24 pounds to go to make my weight. That means I need to lose 3 pounds a week. I was doing that before but now I am not despite my efforts.
                            Somebody with your determination will succeed and excel at BCT and AIT, despite coming in at the heavier end. Even if you're just squeaking by MEPs, the cadre are experts who are trained to take couch potato civilians and turn them into soldiers. You're well on your way--keep it up. Three things I would focus on:

1. Hydrate. Drink water throughout the day; it will suppress your appetite among other things.

2. If you are plateauing, you need to step up your workouts or curb back your calorie intake, or both. It's that simple. Make sure you are eating a variety of healthy foods.

3. The day before MEPs, eliminate as much water weight as you safely can. If you're hydrating every day, you can cut back for a day or two and you'll lose a few pounds that way.
                            Last edited by Hunter; April 7th, 2012, 03:25 PM.

Comment

"Somebody with your determination will succeed and excel at BCT and AIT" - Thanks for that! I know I can but I have to get past MEPS first.

Comment

Like someone else said, your body is using the food you eat more efficiently, and it is also taking fewer calories to do an exercise than it did before. You need to outsmart your body. do a lot of intervals, whether it's getting on a track and sprinting the straight parts and walking the curves, or running hills outside or on a treadmill. the longer your heartbeat is constant, the more efficient your body will run, you need to alternate your heart rate so your body thinks it needs more energy. also, i'm sure you're eating really well for every meal, but I would recommend allowing yourself one splurge meal a week to help throw your body off more. if you can play sports like tennis or basketball that will help as well since that's a lot of short bursts of energy. i read somewhere that in an average tennis match you run about 3 miles.

Comment

Working...
                                X