X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lots of weight to lose

So ALL that hard work to get your weight down and it's your SHOULDER that's keeping you from enlisting! That's insanity. I hope you get your waiver, but I hear they're hard to come by.

Comment

Whatever the eventual outcome, don’t ever forget about the weight loss challenge that you faced and overcame. That’s an achievement that very few could duplicate. Congrats on that for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by sv9cannon View Post
        So ALL that hard work to get your weight down and it's your SHOULDER that's keeping you from enlisting! That's insanity. I hope you get your waiver, but I hear they're hard to come by.
        Ya but we kind of figured I would need a waiver. What was frustrating was the original doctor wanted to pass me but the head doctor wouldn't let him. The first doctor was pretty frustrated with that and kept apologizing as he felt my shoulder was great and he saw no problems. On the PULHES I got 1s across the board except the "U" (upper body extremities)- he wanted to give me a 1 for the "u" as well - oh well. Now to just wait and see what happens. I got a waiver to go physical so hopefully that will work in my favor since the Surgeon General has already seen my paperwork and shoulder issue and approved the waiver to physical.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGuardGuy View Post
          Whatever the eventual outcome, don’t ever forget about the weight loss challenge that you faced and overcame. That’s an achievement that very few could duplicate. Congrats on that for sure!

Thank you - it has been a journey well worth it. I feel great and I feel so much better about myself. The doctor at MEPS was impressed with my weight loss and that I did it on my own - no surgeries. Hopefully I can pass on what I have learned to others.

Comment

First, you consult a good physician to find out whether your over weight is due only to over eating and your life stile, or it is due to some other factors like heriditary or some malfunctioning in your body system. Then, go according to your physian, advice. Dont fall a prey to market advertised weight reduction packs which could be harmful.

Comment

Originally posted by LindsayGiguere View Post
              First, you consult a good physician to find out whether your over weight is due only to over eating and your life stile, or it is due to some other factors like heriditary or some malfunctioning in your body system. Then, go according to your physian, advice. Dont fall a prey to market advertised weight reduction packs which could be harmful.
              Um thank you I think??? (trying to get your post count up?)
              I gained weight because I wasn't active anymore and I wasn't eating healthy - plain and simple. I started eating healthy and being active and I have lost 85 pounds. I think I found out the reasons I was overweight
              Last edited by robinpugs06; November 2nd, 2012, 12:02 AM.

Comment

How is your weight doing now that it is a couple weeks after MEPS? Remember that if it's been 30 days or more since your physical, they will re-screen you and probably re-tape you. Showing a little more progress is always a huge plus. BTW Congrats on making the mark on weight. And good luck with the waiver.

Comment

Originally posted by SNOC View Post
                  How is your weight doing now that it is a couple weeks after MEPS? Remember that if it's been 30 days or more since your physical, they will re-screen you and probably re-tape you. Showing a little more progress is always a huge plus. BTW Congrats on making the mark on weight. And good luck with the waiver.
                  I have lost a couple of pounds since. The 17th marks one month and I am sure my waiver won't be back before then - assuming it gets approved! I am still working out and watching my calories - although I did take a day off the day I went to MEPS :-) I did all of this to be healthy and I plan on staying active and eating healthy and staying fit no matter what happens.
                  My fingers are crossed and I am just waiting...

Comment

I just created my username today and this is my first post! I am on somewhat the same boat, I need to lose 62 lbs before I can join, but I still have some time to work on it. I just turned 28, I'm 6', 1" and weighing in at 274 right now, can anyone share some tips on what you did to meet the weight?

Comment

Originally posted by Pereira84 View Post
                      I just created my username today and this is my first post! I am on somewhat the same boat, I need to lose 62 lbs before I can join, but I still have some time to work on it. I just turned 28, I'm 6', 1" and weighing in at 274 right now, can anyone share some tips on what you did to meet the weight?
                      If you read all 7 pages of this post you will get some great info. There is tons of information on this site - just do a search.
                      Basic tips - move more and eat less. Keep a food journal and count EVERY calorie - food, drinks, condiments, etc. There are some great sites that can tell you how many calories you should take in a day to lose weight. If you have an android phone two awesome apps are My fitness pal and Noom. You can track all your food and workouts on these.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                        If you read all 7 pages of this post you will get some great info. There is tons of information on this site - just do a search.
                        Basic tips - move more and eat less. Keep a food journal and count EVERY calorie - food, drinks, condiments, etc. There are some great sites that can tell you how many calories you should take in a day to lose weight. If you have an android phone two awesome apps are My fitness pal and Noom. You can track all your food and workouts on these.
                        Thanks, I'll look into these apps, I'm already going to the gym on a daily basis and I am losing weight little by little.

Comment

Just to update, I've gotten my BMI down from 33% to 28% in a couple of weeks, so I feel that I'll be ok pretty soon.

Comment

That's great keep up the good work

Comment

My waiver was approved - went to MEPS 6 weeks ago tomorrow. I will be swearing into the Air National Guard probably next week. Next hurdle - security clearance All my hard work, waiting, and persistence has paid off!

Comment

Congrats and best wishes on this next adventure in your life!

Comment

Working...
                                X