X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of weight to lose

Hi! I need to lose 100 lbs - I am a 34 year old female. I want to increase my aerobic activity as much as possible - my recruiter wants me to run 20 minutes 2 times a day everyday. This would be fine but since I am carrying so much extra weight my feet and shins can't handle this much running. What else can I be doing to see as much weight loss as possible and as quickly as possible? I am eating right, don't drink anything but 1 mug of black coffee a day and tons of water I just need the aerobic exercise. Thanks everyone!

Re: Lots of weight to lose

If your issue is getting the aerobic exercise in, then you may want to check out SSG Ken's page on losing weight (www.nationalguard.com/life/fitness). You could also try walking to get your body used to moving like that again. Also, there's several aerobic exercise videos on YouTube (though I can't guarantee how well they'll work as some of them are put out by non-professional personal trainers). Just be careful if you're looking to go that route.

And if you're really insane, you can look into some of the more expensive exercise programs (P90X, Insanity, Turbofire, etc.), but I would personally recommend those more for advanced folks than beginners. Either way, put your all into what you do, and you'll be successful in working that weight off. Good luck to you!

Comment

FThanks. I think one of the problems is that I just started a new job restocking at the yankee candle flagship store and I am on my feet the entire shift. My shoes are top quality but my feet are definitely not used to it...

Comment

I wouldnt do intense things like P90X. Those are more geared toward people already in shape. If you want to improve your run/cardio without banging your legs on pavement, get onto an elliptical machine. It helped my run. I would switch between that and running on the street.

Some really popular/well rated programs out there for people of all shapes and sizes are Zumba and Jillian Michaels. Look them up on Amazon.

Comment

Also you may want to look at zero impact aerobic machines, such as the elliptical. I had not run in about two years and combining the elliptical with running and walking my cardio has improved a bunch.

Swimming is also a huge one because you get a full body work out with out impact.

If your recruiter has let you sign up and you have a ship date they may give you a military ID. If so take advantage of their gym. We have use of ours for free.

elliptical

Good luck to you!

Comment

cardio, cardio, cardio.....
            you have to cut calories and do the cardio. all of the aforementioned replies are good.
            if you can't run right much right now, get on a spin bike at the gym and turn up the resistance or the elliptical as mentioned. run as much as you can but dont injure yourself. you have to get your heart rate elevated and keep it elevated.
            keep a journal of what you eat every day as well as your exercise routine.
            if your disciplined with your journal and stay on a program the weight loss will happen.
            stay motivated

Comment

Tanks for all the advice. I work out every day - I switch it up between running, elliptical, pilates and I have now added interval training 3 days a week. I also have an app on my phone that lets me track my weight, work outs and my calories for the day. I have lost 22 pounds so far.
              I still have a long way to go but I am working hard!

Comment

Oh, and I can't sign up yet due to my weight. I have spoken to a few recruiters in different branches and they asll say the same thing, "call me when you are closer to your target weight."

Comment

Wow thats awesome!! Congrats on the progress. As you can see, there isnt a magic pill or anything. Just diet and exercise. Listen to your body and also push your body. Keep a positive attitude and stay strong. Hard work does pay off over time. I am glad this is working out for you.

Comment

Weight lifting. burns more calories overtime.

The easiest way to safely lose weight is with muscle mass, and gradually decrease muscle mass as you do more aerobic and cardio.

Unlike running, jogging, etc. where you only lose calories mainly during the time you're doing that activity and an hour or so after, lifting weights, your muscles burn calories over 30+ hours.

You can have an afterburn of approx 500-1200 calories via weight lifting. as your muscles tear up and rebuild via rest. Forgetting muscle specific excorsizes, and avoiding weight machines, and focusing on multi-muscle excorsizes, (bench press, squats, power clean, etc) and then alternating between weight lifting and cardio can dramatically decrease body fat over-time.

To remove excess muscle mass later as you thin out, do more cardio and aerobic, and less anaerobic (weights). you'll still keep the fat off, but still be lean.

Also diet:

If your plate has a serving of meat larger than a deck of poker cards, or larger than a basic sized hamburger patty, tha'ts too much meat for that meal.

Per meal, ensure 4/5ths of the plate is veggies and fruit. and get rid of ALL whites.

Get rid of white bread, white rice, etc. stick soly to whole grain and/or wheat.

Stick to whatever you can put on ONE plate per meal.

take a one a day multivitamin.

Over-time, you'll be ready to go with good results, good blood work, etc.

Comment

As a health and fitness professional, what I recommend is that you perform some weight bearing exercise along with the running. Eating protein will increase bone density and help you lose lots of weight much faster.

Keep up the good work you're going, and always choose a positive "can do" attitude. It's what the Guard is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by ashleeowen View Post
                        As a health and fitness professional, what I recommend is that you perform some weight bearing exercise along with the running. Eating protein will increase bone density and help you lose lots of weight much faster.

Keep up the good work you're going, and always choose a positive "can do" attitude. It's what the Guard is all about.
                        Thanks for the advice. I have started adding some weight lifting - nothing drastic but some arm and leg work in addition to daily push ups. I try to make sure I get a lot of protein. I stay positive and even when i hit a weight loss plateau for about 2 weeks I kept at it and pushed myself even harder.

Comment

It's funny because it seems like not too long ago I was struggling to do 1 thirty minute cardio session a day but now i am doing a short interval training and an hour of moderate with intermitant heavy aerobic session a day.

Comment

So I have lost about 35 pounds since I started on my weight loss quest on September 19, 2011. The weight was coming off pretty easily and even when the pounds weren't decreasing I was losing inches.
                            Now, I have seem to have hit a plateau. I have increased my cardio - I am working out an hour and a half a day - I try to run for 30-45 minutes and then do the rest on the elliptical. When I run I hit a couple of hills and when I am on the elliptical I have preset workouts so the resistance chances constantly. I make sure my heart rate is in the target range it should be at when working out. I am staying below my recommended calories for what I should be eating to lose 3-5 pounds a week with the amount of calories I am burning. I don't drink anything but unsweetened green tea in the morning and then I try to get in a gallon of water for the rest of the day. I limit my sugar intake to primarily what is in fruits. I eat a ton of fruits, fish and veggies - no red meat, only fish and occasionally boneless, skinless chicken. I do sit ups and push ups daily and every other day I do a little bit of weights.
                            Any ideas to get the weight loss going again?

Comment

Oh and I don't eat any white or wheat - no bread, pasta, rice, etc
                              Last edited by robinpugs06; December 2nd, 2011, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X