Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting From Scratch (long... sorry!)

Background Info: I went to MEPS last week and then my first drill that weekend. There where a few issues with my MOS so I wasn't able to enlist, but I decided to go to RSP anyways. My recruiter arranged it so I could get credit for red phase even though I wasn't technically enlisted. Although I obviously wasn't paid.

I am a relatively healthy 18 year old female. I'm about 5'3 and 110/115 lbs. I've always been blessed to be naturally thin so working out has never been an issue for me. For most of my life I've been involved in dance and dabbled in cheer. Although, I've never spent time outside of that actually working out. I took the last year "off" and barely exercised at all, but maintained my weight.

I gave it 100% at drill, but still did pretty badly. Although I did better then a few girls who'd been at RSP 5+ months which really shocked me. It took me 27 minutes to run 2 miles. To put that in perspective I haven't run a full mile since middle school and I've never even attempted to run two... It was also 100+ degrees out. The heat was the worst part. I managed to run the first half mile then alternated between jogging, sprinting, barely running, and some walking. I wasn't able to do even one good push up. I attempted to do push ups for the full two minutes though. It was pretty rough and embarrasing. I was also surprised by how much it hurt. I did somewhere between 20-30 situps. We stopped 15 seconds early though because I spent the last 30 seconds struggling again and again without any success.

The next day we ran two more miles and I managed to run almost all of it with quite a bit of sprinting. We did an odd man out run (I think that's what it is called)... It also was at 6 am so the heat wasn't as bad.

By the end of drill I almost had to pick my legs up to cross and uncross them. I couldn't laugh without wanting to cry I have never been so sore in my life. It was physically impossible for me to even do one push up or sit up. My body would just collapse. Although in a way it felt good to feel so awful. I knew I did my best and I am pushed myself the whole time and I kept a smile on my face too

It is now a week later and I can still barely do any push ups or sit ups and it's driving me nuts! I want to work out to make sure I excel next time. I also never want to be so sore again. I'd also love to avoid the intense naseau I felt after running. I have nearly a year before BCT so time is on my side but I want to pass my next PT test by September. By BCT I want to be able to run 5-7 miles easily and be close to maxing out on at least one area.

So I guess here are my main questions: How do I get over the intense soreness? I am awesome at sucking up. It's not a mental issue. It's a body issue... (if that makes sense). How do I reach my goals? I know that sounds dumb, since there are all these exercises out there. My problem is I can't do them I can't even do one push up correctly... What are any tips to prevent the soreness next time? What is one exercise thing I should focus on the most/will help me the most? Also if anyone has a tip to not feel nauseus after running you'd be my hero! I just don't want to be in the same place like some of the other girls. They all said they exercise daily, but some couldn't even run half a mile. I want to make sure I excel and do this correctly.

If you got through this thanks so much!

Re: Starting From Scratch (long... sorry!)

Originally posted by Caitlin View Post
    Background Info: I went to MEPS last week and then my first drill that weekend. There where a few issues with my MOS so I wasn't able to enlist, but I decided to go to RSP anyways. My recruiter arranged it so I could get credit for red phase even though I wasn't technically enlisted. Although I obviously wasn't paid.

I am a relatively healthy 18 year old female. I'm about 5'3 and 110/115 lbs. I've always been blessed to be naturally thin so working out has never been an issue for me. For most of my life I've been involved in dance and dabbled in cheer. Although, I've never spent time outside of that actually working out. I took the last year "off" and barely exercised at all, but maintained my weight.

I gave it 100% at drill, but still did pretty badly. Although I did better then a few girls who'd been at RSP 5+ months which really shocked me. It took me 27 minutes to run 2 miles. To put that in perspective I haven't run a full mile since middle school and I've never even attempted to run two... It was also 100+ degrees out. The heat was the worst part. I managed to run the first half mile then alternated between jogging, sprinting, barely running, and some walking. I wasn't able to do even one good push up. I attempted to do push ups for the full two minutes though. It was pretty rough and embarrasing. I was also surprised by how much it hurt. I did somewhere between 20-30 situps. We stopped 15 seconds early though because I spent the last 30 seconds struggling again and again without any success.

The next day we ran two more miles and I managed to run almost all of it with quite a bit of sprinting. We did an odd man out run (I think that's what it is called)... It also was at 6 am so the heat wasn't as bad.

By the end of drill I almost had to pick my legs up to cross and uncross them. I couldn't laugh without wanting to cry I have never been so sore in my life. It was physically impossible for me to even do one push up or sit up. My body would just collapse. Although in a way it felt good to feel so awful. I knew I did my best and I am pushed myself the whole time and I kept a smile on my face too

It is now a week later and I can still barely do any push ups or sit ups and it's driving me nuts! I want to work out to make sure I excel next time. I also never want to be so sore again. I'd also love to avoid the intense naseau I felt after running. I have nearly a year before BCT so time is on my side but I want to pass my next PT test by September. By BCT I want to be able to run 5-7 miles easily and be close to maxing out on at least one area.

So I guess here are my main questions: How do I get over the intense soreness? I am awesome at sucking up. It's not a mental issue. It's a body issue... (if that makes sense). How do I reach my goals? I know that sounds dumb, since there are all these exercises out there. My problem is I can't do them I can't even do one push up correctly... What are any tips to prevent the soreness next time? What is one exercise thing I should focus on the most/will help me the most? Also if anyone has a tip to not feel nauseus after running you'd be my hero! I just don't want to be in the same place like some of the other girls. They all said they exercise daily, but some couldn't even run half a mile. I want to make sure I excel and do this correctly.

The soreness will go away with time. When the workouts become a normal routine it no longer hurts, then you step it up again until it hurts, and that is how you progress and get better. But the basic growing pains exist for everyone who isnt used to that type of working out. Just keep at it.

Practice form on your pushups, stay on your knees if you have too, but doing a half ***** pushup is worst then doing zero. Form is everything.

You dont mention situps so I assume you are ok in that area.

For the running, you need to be doing cardio EVERY DAY until you pass. That doesn't mean run everyday. On non run days be on the bike, or those cross country things in the gym, get your heart rate used to being up and that will help extremely. Stay away from carbonated beverages for a while, they only slow you down.

Set realistic goals, stick with it and overtime you will improve.

Tell your recruiiter you need a workout buddy to push you.

Oh, and chewing gum during the run may also help, especially when its 100 degrees.

Comment

NOTE: I am NOT a doctor or personal training, and am not attempting to offer professional advice, I but have been where you are and this is what worked for me.

Originally posted by Caitlin View Post
      Background Info: I went to MEPS last week and then my first drill that weekend. There where a few issues with my MOS so I wasn't able to enlist, but I decided to go to RSP anyways.

I am a relatively healthy 18 year old female. I'm about 5'3 and 110/115 lbs. I've always been blessed to be naturally thin so working out has never been an issue for me.

It's good you don't have to struggle with a weight issue first (I lost 40 lbs before enlisting), but weight is only part of it. I know guys at my RSP who are cut and have ripped abs and they struggle with the sit-ups because, although they have strong abs, the APFT sit-ups works your hip flexors as well.

I gave it 100% at drill, but still did pretty badly. Although I did better then a few girls who'd been at RSP 5+ months which really shocked me. It took me 27 minutes to run 2 miles. To put that in perspective I haven't run a full mile since middle school and I've never even attempted to run two... It was also 100+ degrees out. The heat was the worst part. I managed to run the first half mile then alternated between jogging, sprinting, barely running, and some walking. I wasn't able to do even one good push up. I attempted to do push ups for the full two minutes though. It was pretty rough and embarrasing.

Next time, give it 110% and don't worry about comparing yourself to girls who have been there longer, focus on embettering your scores and your health. Trying to compare yourself to someone else who may have been doing it longer (or not) will just drive you crazy. Should it be rough? Yes. Even the PT g*ds at my drills are grunting and struggling near the end because they are constantly pushing themselves. Should you be embarrassed? No. Don't let ANY negative thoughts enter your mind; they are defeatest and will only hinder your motivation. Not only should you be comended for trying to power through, but you DID work your muscles, the soreness shows that, so you're on your way.

By the end of drill I almost had to pick my legs up to cross and uncross them. I couldn't laugh without wanting to cry. I have never been so sore in my life. It was physically impossible for me to even do one push up or sit up. My body would just collapse. Although in a way it felt good to feel so awful. I knew I did my best and I am pushed myself the whole time and I kept a smile on my face too

Its good you kept a postive attitude despite your soreness, that will go along way with your success: to STAY MOTIVATED. It was most likely physically 'impossible' for you do the exercises because, although you didn't do many the day before, you had never done them and thus you experienced some muscle failure. Give your self a day or so to let your muscles recover, then STRETCH and WARM UP properly first and get right back at it.

I personally have never experienced the nausea when running, it may very from person to person. I would suggest working out well after eating or in the a.m. before breakfast. Also, make sure you are properly hydrated. You cannot just drink a bottle before a workout or the morning of drill and expect to be hydrated. Your body and kidneys need time to process it. I drink water all the time, occassionally juices or Gatorade, but water, water, water. I had a Dr. tell me that's why some get that awful cramp in their side when running, that its from dehydration.

I am curious....you said you're not officially enlisted but you ''have a year before BCT''...how do you know when you're shipping to BCT if you did not complete the process of enlistment? Did you MOS issue get worked out and you are enlisted now?

So I guess here are my main questions:

How do I get over the intense soreness?

Note: I am not a doctor, but in my experience, especially when ''starting from scratch'' ...

Do NOT work out 7 days a week, your body needs time to recover; Stay Hydrated at all times.
      Use ice or OTC anti-inflammatories for immediate soreness.
      ALWAYS strech and warm up BEFORE & AFTER...many injuries and soreness is avoided by warming up those muscles first. You probably did warm up stretches at RSP, do those before a workout. Be sure and stretch after; you can't go on a long run and then just sit down, you could cramp up.
      If you are not allergic, bananas are also recommended (to eat) for sore muscles as the potassium in them is know to aid in muscle recovery. (avoid until nausea passes....LOL)

I am awesome at sucking up. It's not a mental issue. It's a body issue... (if that makes sense).

How do I reach my goals? NEVER QUIT....now that doesn't mean work yourself to injury by not stopping when it hurts, it means never lose sight of that goal and never give up at achieving it. Those who want something bad enough make it happen, those who don't make excuses.

I know that sounds dumb, since there are all these exercises out there. My problem is I can't do them I can't even do one push up correctly... You CAN do them.....lose the negative attitude. None of this sounds dumb and you ARE starting from scratch, so beating yourself up and having a negative attitude just give you excuses to quit. You CAN do this.

What are any tips to prevent the soreness next time? See Above

What is one exercise thing I should focus on the most/will help me the most?

You have to be able to pass all three, the run, the push ups and the sit ups....so focus on all three.

When I 'started from scratch', this is what helped me.....

Run: Focus on your 2 miles & don't worry about 5-6 right now. The test is 2 miles, so focus on that. Even starting at 1 and working yourself up to 2 is a start. Running 5-7 miles only means you can run 5-7 miles, it doesn't mean that you can do your 2 miles in the appropriate time limit. Running FARTHER only helps you run FARTHER, if you need to run FASTER, try jogging for a minute or 2 and then sprinting for a whole minute; repeat. This if referred to as interval training and it has helped me. Running on hills has helped my time as well.

Push Ups: ParalegalNCO1 IS correct. Form is everything. I admit, when I am doing PU and I reach muscle failure, I will continue with modified (on my knees) just to work a little bit more. But for the test, form is critical; it wont count if its not right. When you can't do ANY (like I couldn't as recently as February when I enlisted) I started with wall push ups, but then found, instead of going to my knees, I headed to the stairwell. I started on a higher step (doing a push up) keeping my back straight, etc. As I found I could do 10, I moved to a LOWER step, thereby adding more weight....eventually, I ended up on the floor. (after some weeks) I remember being excited I could do '3 real ones'...LOL

Sit Ups: The only thing I have found that helps it to DO them. Do not just do crunches, that only works your upper abs and does not work your lower core (planks help with this) and your transverse abdominals (the ab muscles that go around you like a corset). I initally had to do them with my fingers on my temples, but gradually moved them back to my ears and eventually interlocked behind my head. Because the APFT sit ups work certain muscles groups and hip fleors, doing them is key.

To help strengthen that core: Planks and front leaning rest position (hold)...like you are about to do a PU.

Also if anyone has a tip to not feel nauseus after running you'd be my hero! I just don't want to be in the same place like some of the other girls. They all said they exercise daily, but some couldn't even run half a mile.

First of all, these girls are full of BS.....or the exercises they do are not running, PU or SU. No one works out 'every day' and then cannot even run a half mile. Again, stop worrying about them, focus on your own scores and goals.

Look, I came on this forum in November and enlisted in February and I was in the the SAME place you are. I have worked at it NON-STOP, meaning motivation and determination-wise, physically 5-6 days a week. I am shipping for basic training in 2 weeks and I am now at about 80% for all 3 exercises.....and I am 37 years old; so if I CAN do it, you definitely CAN! Just stop worrying about being embarrassed, how you appear to others and what others are accomplishing....focus on getting there.

But you HAVE TO stick to it! No excuses, no whining. I work FT, go to college FT and am the single parent of 2 teens and I HAVE found time to do this...you just have to WANT IT bad enough.

Good Luck!

Comment

1) Walk the sorness off. 2) Workout everyday. 3) Make sure you are strecthed out and warmed up. 4) The run. 5) The more you run the better you will feel.

Comment

Working...
        X