X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is too much?

I have started to get in shape for basic but one thing I haven't found a great answer about is if there is such a thing as working out too much. I have heard a lot of people say work on your push-up and sit-up every chance you get and others say to rest every other day. I ship out in a little under three months and want to be in as good of shape as possible...

Recently, I have been doing five sets of push-ups and sit-ups, twice a day, Mon-Thurs and once a day on Friday. I take Sat off and test myself on Sun to see if I have been able to raise my score during the past week.

I just want to make sure I am not doing more harm than good and I am maximizing my gains... Any Advice??

Re: How much is too much?

if you hurt youself, that is too much. crawl, walk, run.

Comment

Originally posted by Knuckle View Post
      I have started to get in shape for basic but one thing I haven't found a great answer about is if there is such a thing as working out too much. I have heard a lot of people say work on your push-up and sit-up every chance you get and others say to rest every other day. I ship out in a little under three months and want to be in as good of shape as possible...

Recently, I have been doing five sets of push-ups and sit-ups, twice a day, Mon-Thurs and once a day on Friday. I take Sat off and test myself on Sun to see if I have been able to raise my score during the past week.

I just want to make sure I am not doing more harm than good and I am maximizing my gains... Any Advice??
      If your sets are taking you to muscle failure (meaning you're performing the sets until you possibly cannot do one more rep) you will feel it the next day. Ideally, if you are really sore, you should take a 1-day break. Performance gains actually happen while your muscles rest.

Sounds like you have a bit of time, I'd recommend that you train hard every other day and run on your off day... this should give your upper body and legs a day to rest. However, the intensity at which you train will be a factor... so no slacking! :-)

Good luck,
      MG

Comment

You have to give your body enough to time to recover from exercise otherwise you could start to move backward. Calistenics are for the most part pretty easy on the body and promote muscular endurance, meaning its not easy to build muscle doing push ups and body weight squats for example. However if done too frequently you can lose muscle and reduce endurance.

I have recent personal experience in this. A few months ago I was able to do 41 pull ups in a row. I had a really great routine that I devised to get me to 50 plus. But I hit a wall and could budge past 41 so then I started the 50 pull ups workout that is found online. It calls for 3 days a week of pull up exercises and it doesn't specify if they should be done in a row or every other day. So I figured every other day then get a few days rest after the 3rd day before starting day 1 of next week. Wrong answer! I can't finish the last week of that program because my max reps went from 41 all the way down to 30 in a matter of a few weeks! Now I'm struggling to get back up to where I was before I started the online program.

You have to give yourself enough rest between otherwise you wont do yourself much good. If you are new to working out your body can benefit from every other day for a little while but as you get in better shape and increase in muscle and endurance you actually require more and more rest time in between workouts to fully recover. My routine before was once per week I would work on pull ups and during that workout I would target 200 total pull ups. Then the next week I would focus on weight training for my back with rows, lat pulls etc. It was a great plan and now I'm kicking myself for not modifying it so I could get past that 41 rep wall. I do the same kind of thing for push ups and chest. Split them every other week and it has worked very well for me for the last couple years. Same for legs and shoulders.

If you are just starting out with physical training and have never lifted weights before or have not lifted in a long time then now is not a good time to start since you are 3 months out from basic. Work on your push ups, sit ups and run every other day and test yourself once a week. For basic training I also suggest working on pull ups and body weight squats and lunges. If you are really sore one day and it happens to be a workout day then take another day of rest. Just don't get lazy and skip workouts because you are tired or just don't feel like it. Only take another day of rest if you are really sore.

Comment

So, if I am understanding correctly, I am trying to do a little too much. In order to get the best result I should take time off in between working out muscle groups.

Comment

No, you need a good split. A split, is the rotation of body parts. Work out six days a week, different body parts once a week. Run also and do abs everyday.

Always do a good warm up. Start out doing high repetitions sets of 12, after a few months go to sets of 8 and 6. This will give time for your tendons to strengthen, muscles develop faster than tendons.

Do your big lifts early in the week like.

MON- Chest
            TUE- Squat
            WED- Deadlift
            THR- TRIs
            FRI- BIS
            SAT- Back
            SUN- Rest

That's called a split.

Start off with three exercises per muscle group. 6 sets of 12. Then add on sets and lower reps after a months or two.

Don't take any supplements except protein, and drink a lot of water, get plenty of rest 8-10 hours every night.
            Last edited by Chaplain4me; May 26th, 2011, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Knuckle View Post
              So, if I am understanding correctly, I am trying to do a little too much. In order to get the best result I should take time off in between working out muscle groups.
              Yes. By doing pushups and sit ups 6 days in a row you are at risk of over working your muscles and you could actually see a decrease in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                Yes. By doing pushups and sit ups 6 days in a row you are at risk of over working your muscles and you could actually see a decrease in performance.
                I found this out the hard way; I was doing push ups until muscle failure every day, thinking I was building up strength, but the amount I could do in a set also kept going down each day....

I've found if I have a day of rest in between, when I do them again, my numbers go up in each set. It's just hard to NOT do them each day; I feel like I am slacking!

Comment

Take it easy, but be consistent. Enjoy the free time (and stressfree time) while you have it.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                    Take it easy, but be consistent. Enjoy the free time (and stressfree time) while you have it.
                    I know I should....but I'm stubborn and want to be able to keep up with the kids at BCT!

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice. I really disappointed myself at my first RSP drill and wanted to improve as much as possible before my next one and before basic training.

Comment

Working...
                      X