Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preparing for PT test and running pain.

Sorry in advance for the long post. I recently re-enlisted and have my first drill in 10 days. We will possibly be having our PT test then because our April drill was cancelled due to the budget. Anyway I've been running and preparing for PT since Feb. I'm good on the pushups and sit ups and a week ago I could pass the run for my age group (42-49). was comming along on schedule for a decent passing time with not too much pain. Well I think I over did it trying hills and running too much last two weeks. My hip flexors, hip joints, and groin are killing me. Could only do 1 mile on treadmill last two times I ran and I have a pretty high pain threshold. Now limping around even with extra stretching. Just walking is painfull. Its definetely more impact related. It dosent help that I weigh 270 at 6'3". ( I pass tape no problem ) Cut out heavy weight lifting, lost 20 lbs since enlisting in Feb and am slowly getting down to around 240 by end of summer. This will improve my running. Question is with 10 days left before this test I'm afraid i'll lose all the cardio I've gained if I take a week off of running. On the other hand if I continue to practive the 2 mile I might be much worse and I have a school to attend in July where I'll have to take another PT test plus PT during the school. I want to be in better shape by then so I'm not just sqeaking by, but getting a better score.

Never been a great runner so I'm afaid taking a few days off is going to **** the little bit of wind I've built up last couple of months. Do you think I should **** it up and keep running every other day or try the stationary bike / circuit training etc. to give my legs and hips a rest from the impact ? Not sure how much of a difference its going to make in the next 10-11 days. Don't want to be the " old guy " making a bad first impression on his new unit sucking at PT. Been working hard and this is very discouraging right now. Any suggestions out there ? Thank you.

Re: preparing for PT test and running pain.

I cannot give you much advice, but I get shin splints when I run everyday, so I take a day off so- I would take a day or two off from running. You have to give your muscles time to heal. You definitely don't want to run the day before your test. So alternate training days and rest days. Hope this helps a little.

Comment

Originally posted by oldskool67 View Post
      Don't want to be the " old guy "
      it's too late for that. Don't sweat it brother, it's an easy game.

Comment

you need to go see a doctor it could be a stress fracture in your femoral neck.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Feeling a little better with ice and stretching, but going to get it checked out just to be safe.

Comment

Seeing your physician is an excellent idea, you don't want to over train and increase the risk of possible permanent injury. Running is not my strongest point either. I run a maximum of 3 times a week, every other day, usually 3 to 6 miles depending on how I feel, always mix in pushups, sit ups and pull ups. On the days I don't run, I use an elliptical glider, bike, swim 30 to 60 minutes. If I have time; I usually play racquetball 2 nights a week. You've heard it all before, try to create alternate forms of exercise, be sure to stretch, hydrate, pursue a healthy diet, and if you can; get plenty of rest.

Comment

the only advice I could give is that you run some each day. Like run from telephone post to telephone post and then run some sprints and every other day run a mile or so.. thats how i got good at running my mile.. i hope this will help you

Comment

Working...
              X