X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2mile Run.

Im sure for a civilian going into BCT not everyone can meet the required time for the Final PT exam.

So my question to those who have long exceeded there BCT ....

Did you guys encounter many who had issues with running the 2mile or at all?
    Were you as well one of those who needed help meeting the required qualification time for the 2mile run? -or- witnessed many who were really unprepared at BCT?

And for those who are shipping soon:

How is your run time going?

I personally am NOT ready. Its taking me roughly 9-10min for just 1Mile!
    i know i know awful right...But its better than i was a few weeks ago i could barely do that. I ship in august so i am certain i should be ready by then. I hope to go into BCT with the 2mile run being at the very least being able to run the 2mile at a passing qualification time and i assume with the PT training that will be going on i should be fit enough to do better than that after 10 weeks. We shall see i guess but it is one of my few worries.

All input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by CivilianNYC; April 22nd, 2011, 09:50 PM.

Re: 2mile Run.

Originally posted by CivilianNYC View Post
    Im sure for a civilian going into BCT not everyone can meet the required time for the Final PT exam.

So my question to those who have long exceeded there BCT ....

Did you guys encounter many who had issues with running the 2mile or at all?
    Were you as well one of those who needed help meeting the required qualification time for the 2mile run? -or- witnessed many who were really unprepared at BCT?

And for those who are shipping soon:

How is your run time going?

I personally am NOT ready. Its taking me roughly 9-10min for just 1Mile!
    i know i know awful right...But its better than i was a few weeks ago i could barely do that. I ship in august so i am certain i should be ready by then. I hope to go into BCT with the 2mile run being at the very least being able to run the 2mile at a passing qualification time and i assume with the PT training that will be going on i should be fit enough to do better than that after 10 weeks. We shall see i guess but it is one of my few worries.

All input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    What age group do you fall into?

Comment

I am 33 years old

Comment

I am 33 years old
        Here's the link to what the standard is for you to run the two mile run in. Correct me if I am wrong but to graduate basic training add an extra 30 seconds or another minute onto what the minimum run time is for your age group.

http://www.military.com/military-fit...-score-chart#2

Comment

Its taking me roughly 9-10min for just 1Mile
          Run faster.

Comment

I also do not have a very good run time- and its not that easy to just "run faster". I would suggest interval training. I usually run at a steady pace, walk a bit, then sprint for as long as i can, and walk more. My run time has improved by a minute for training this week. I do not take whole days off- if it is an off day for me i will usually run slower and walk more so that my muscles have a little more time to heal. I have never been into running, but i promise it does get easier and i have also noticed that i want to run more because it gives a great sense of accomplishment. I also am going to basic in august. I think that is plenty of time to build up speed and endurance.

Comment

Originally posted by housetr08 View Post
              I also do not have a very good run time- and its not that easy to just "run faster". I would suggest interval training. I usually run at a steady pace, walk a bit, then sprint for as long as i can, and walk more. My run time has improved by a minute for training this week. I do not take whole days off- if it is an off day for me i will usually run slower and walk more so that my muscles have a little more time to heal. I have never been into running, but i promise it does get easier and i have also noticed that i want to run more because it gives a great sense of accomplishment. I also am going to basic in august. I think that is plenty of time to build up speed and endurance.
              Nothing's easy, but it is that simple. Run faster. Keep running. Then run a little bit more.

Comment

Interval training is a really good tool to help you increase your average speed. Do a google search for fartleks.

Comment

Best thing I have ever seen for bettering your run time is ladders. Stay at a good pace, come to a cross road, light pole, fire hydrant, etc and sprint to the next one. I use telephone poles as they are equally spread apart. Every other one is a sprint. NEVER STOP RUNNING. The moment you stop running your heart will slow down. You need your heart to pump the blood and oxygen into your body as much as possible when running. Stopping is the biggest problem with people trying to increase their run times. Your 33 years old and I figure entering the military at this age to change your life. Well nothing comes for free and you have to ask yourself when it get's hard, how bad do you want to change? Do you want to go back to doing the same old thing? If the answer is no, then run and run hard. If you are stopping you are already quiting and that's not a good sign. You need to have the mental strength to never quit. If you don't you're only going to get yourself in trouble at BCT.
                  One more thing, don't look at the time requirments and think it will be easier when you get older. It never get's easy. You're barely making it at a 40 year old mans pace. I'm 40 and have to complete my run in 18:18 and I will tell you it's hard. Also one other thing to think about. At BCT the DS's will work you for a minium of a 70% passing score not the 60% you see on the cards. If you score below a 70% they will pass you, but they will also be very upset with you and might give you extra PT or crappy duties.
                  Last edited by SGTS6; April 24th, 2011, 12:20 AM.

Comment

I started running again in Feb after a four year break with NO pt. My first two mile time was over 20 minutes on a treadmill. I started running on a cross cuntry course with lots of hills and now I'm down to 17:12 on the same course, so I would recomend running on hills. EDIT: I'm also 38 years old.
                    Last edited by Scarynickname; April 24th, 2011, 11:39 AM. Reason: added age

Comment

Originally posted by Scarynickname View Post
                      I started running again in Feb after a four year break with NO pt. My first two mile time was over 20 minutes on a treadmill. I started running on a cross cuntry course with lots of hills and now I'm down to 17:12 on the same course, so I would recomend running on hills. EDIT: I'm also 38 years old.
                      This is also a great way to increase your time. It's very hard but well worth the results. It builds legs muscles fast and serious. During my BCT I ran in the "A" group back when I was 27 yrs old. They had us running up major inclinded hills, bunny hopping up those same hills, running backwards up those same hills. I was always one of the last guys in the A group run but when time came to final PT I passed with a 100. That was the fastest I have ever run in my life. 2 miles in 12:58, just under the wire for a score of a 100. I went to the DS's who were running the A group and said "Thank you. I never thought I could run like that." They told me to shut up and do push ups. If not for those hills I don't think I would have had the leg strength to pull that off. I have never run a 100 score again in my life. But it was nice to know I have or had it in me. You can do this man. You don't have to hit 100 but don't give up.
                      Last edited by SGTS6; April 24th, 2011, 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. Its nice to know i'm not the only one making the effort to leap over this hurdle. It took me awhile to get back into the groove of running again. My first mission was to get myself back to running at a decent pace for a good set of time and coverage. So again i'm running 1mile in 9:30sec (Treadmill) and then Climbing a hill (incline at 15.0) then walking at a fast pace then run a mile again at a 6.5 pace. In my city its just warming up been lots of rain but i plan on running on an outside track next month. Its also harder when your "Training" yourself but regardless i'm going to push and push and try to get myself to the best possible place fitness wise before i reach BCT in August.

Comment

Originally posted by housetr08 View Post
                          My Endurance has increased for sure. Your regiment is very similar to mine with the exception of Sprint i do a very steep climb instead but maybe i will try your method of the sprint. I break up my 45min on the treadmill in time.. So first 10min 6.3-5 pace run on the treadmill which covers 1 mile then after that i bring the speed down to 4.0 and incline Maxed at 15.0 for 5min then walk on a 1.0 incline at 4.0 speed for 5min, then back to the climb, then the walk and finish with the last 10min as a run for a 45min total. It has worked this far for me for certain. when i first started i could only run about 1-2min before i was too tired and had to walk... so to be at 10min im pretty proud of myself. We have about 100days to go buddy! LEts keep working at it!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarynickname View Post
                            By next month the rain in NY should be at a minimum and i can go run the full track that i used to. its about 3miles long so i hope it works for me like it has for you.

Comment

As others have stated, be sure to mix in sprints and interval training with your running plan. Be sure you're not heel-striking when running, which is a habit formed by wearing padded running shoes, and be mindful of how you breathe. Check out this link for a better explanation on breathing: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...2989-0,00.html

Also, be sure not to neglect strength training. Military.com has some great workouts geared towards increasing PT score - like this one: http://www.military.com/military-fit...nd-pt-workouts.

Comment

Working...
                              X