Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want to be a PT stud...

Originally posted by howard kempf View Post
    Do not forget nutrition and rest which are two of the most important aspects of a physical fitness program. You only break down muscle during the exercise you only repair and build muscle with rest and nutrition. Good luck
    Reiterating this... do not underestimate the power of rest and good nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by MommaGrizzly View Post
      Reiterating this... do not underestimate the power of rest and good nutrition.
      haha, this is so true! I work in a fast food restraunt and get FREE food (it is literally Temptation Island!) I lost tons of weight just by cutting out the free shakes and ice cream I ate all the time xD

Comment

I will reiterate the "DONT OVERDO IT" the LT posted. I WAY over did my first couple of crossfit work outs and almost bit the dust. I ended up in the hospital for five days with Rhabdomyolysis, caused by overexertion and dehydration. The good news is that I was a "miracle" and walked out of the hospital with no kidney damage or problems whatsoever. I basically kept up with really experienced crossfitters for a few days, despite every possible warning sign my body could give me to stop, and i started peeing out my muscles.

I know what it's like to be almost PT'ed to death. Could have been PT'ed to death if I kept ignoring symptoms

http://www.medicinenet.com/rhabdomyolysis/article.htm

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
          I will reiterate the "DONT OVERDO IT" the LT posted. I WAY over did my first couple of crossfit work outs and almost bit the dust. I ended up in the hospital for five days with Rhabdomyolysis, caused by overexertion and dehydration. The good news is that I was a "miracle" and walked out of the hospital with no kidney damage or problems whatsoever. I basically kept up with really experienced crossfitters for a few days, despite every possible warning sign my body could give me to stop, and i started peeing out my muscles.

I know what it's like to be almost PT'ed to death. Could have been PT'ed to death if I kept ignoring symptoms

That is NOT a story to tell at the club to impress the women lol. but that is a really good example of overexertion. I'm going to have to steal it to tell my Soldiers. but don't worry, your legendary status will be nameless lol

Comment

It all depends on how you spin it. If you spin it right, the chicks dig it. It started on friday with a crossfit workout and a formation run. I worked my butt off during the workout, and should have realized something was wrong when the first step of the formation run I was too dizzy to stand. I stayed in the run by bouncing off people around me and just focusing on running "straight". I was dizzy for about 2 miles. Drank water and all, but not feeling right.

Saturday we had a PT test with no rest in between events (it was meant to be harder and not as "fair" as a standard test). Problem was, my lower back hurt so bad I had to have someone tie my boots for me. My total PT test score was a 097 (not a type-o). Then we had standard PT in the afternoon. Again, I was sick, throwing up. Sunday more PT, could barely walk. Needed help getting out of chairs and was slow and painful sitting down.

Monday rolls around and I'm off drill. I still can hardly sit or stand. I had trouble getting out of bed by myself, I had to roll off the bed on to my knees and use the bed post to lift myself up. Monday night rolls around and I have to go to the bathroom...I realize I hadnt pissed since about saturday morning. I go **** and it's black and thick like motor oil.

I get in the car, drive myself to the ER. They take a urine and blood sample and about 10 minutes later they come out with a wheel chair and rush looks on their faces. They slap an EKG on me, and all kinds of stuff and I'm in the critical care unit getting tests for heart and kidney damage. They're wondering why my heart is still going and how I can pee at all.

I end up with 4 IV's of water a day, and 12 bottles of water per day, 4 with every meal to flush muscle and protien tissue out of my kidneys. On day three the doc tells me that he's amazed I have no kidney damage, no heart damage and once my protein levels come down to <4000 (normal is about 500, mine were at 89,000 when I checked in) I can go, but no PT for two weeks after release.

So that left me with all of about 4 weeks to go from a 097 to a 180, and when I walked out of the hospital back to my car I was so weak i was honestly winded with the 400 meter walk. Long story short, I ended up working my butt off and passing PT test to ship to phase I.

My total hospital bill was around $35,000 for five days, which was all covered by insurance and the like, of course. Here I am today. I'm not a PT test, but I have zero problems passing a test. I hydrate like crazy and I'm a non-over exerting fool. Dont get me wrong, i work out hard, but at the first sign of vomit (except when running) or dizziness, I stop.

Comment

In my career as a personal trainer (11 years and counting) I have heard many horror stories about crossfit. I am not saying that the method is flawed or ineffective but it is dangerous and not meant for everyone (contrary to how it is advertised). If you have the opportunity to take Crossfit from a respectable and knowledgeable trainer, then that person can help you get stronger and leaner... but don't go it alone or with a less than objective trainer... or you'll "meet pukie". Go ahead... google that.

There is no shortcut for being fit, or being a PT stud, it requires time and hard work but also requires working smarter, not harder. Trying to get fit "quickly" can leave you in the hospital, very hurt.

My advice is get help from a trainer, or if you are on a budget, try to self-educate on what you need to do to accomplish your goals. I'd concentrate on getting comfortable with the exercises that you need to do to pass the PT test, and once you get there, work on excelling at it... then you can enhance your training with other things.

On your question about "Insanity", this is a method designed for home use, with no equipment (you don't need a truck tire or a pull up bar, etc) that will help you in enhancing cardiovascular endurance and strength... I think it would be a better fit for you than crossfit (I don't know you so this is the best assessment I can make with the info you've provided) but don't substitute "insanity" for the exercises that you HAVE to complete for the PT test, it will be a compliment to your training only.

Best of luck,
              MG

Comment

PS.. my best time on the Murph workout is 49:47 now

Comment

It all depends on how you spin it. If you spin it right, the chicks dig it. It started on friday with a crossfit workout and a formation run. I worked my butt off during the workout, and should have realized something was wrong when the first step of the formation run I was too dizzy to stand. I stayed in the run by bouncing off people around me and just focusing on running "straight". I was dizzy for about 2 miles. Drank water and all, but not feeling right.

Saturday we had a PT test with no rest in between events (it was meant to be harder and not as "fair" as a standard test). Problem was, my lower back hurt so bad I had to have someone tie my boots for me. My total PT test score was a 097 (not a type-o). Then we had standard PT in the afternoon. Again, I was sick, throwing up. Sunday more PT, could barely walk. Needed help getting out of chairs and was slow and painful sitting down.

Monday rolls around and I'm off drill. I still can hardly sit or stand. I had trouble getting out of bed by myself, I had to roll off the bed on to my knees and use the bed post to lift myself up. Monday night rolls around and I have to go to the bathroom...I realize I hadnt pissed since about saturday morning. I go **** and it's black and thick like motor oil.

I get in the car, drive myself to the ER. They take a urine and blood sample and about 10 minutes later they come out with a wheel chair and rush looks on their faces. They slap an EKG on me, and all kinds of stuff and I'm in the critical care unit getting tests for heart and kidney damage. They're wondering why my heart is still going and how I can pee at all.

I end up with 4 IV's of water a day, and 12 bottles of water per day, 4 with every meal to flush muscle and protien tissue out of my kidneys. On day three the doc tells me that he's amazed I have no kidney damage, no heart damage and once my protein levels come down to <4000 (normal is about 500, mine were at 89,000 when I checked in) I can go, but no PT for two weeks after release.

So that left me with all of about 4 weeks to go from a 097 to a 180, and when I walked out of the hospital back to my car I was so weak i was honestly winded with the 400 meter walk. Long story short, I ended up working my butt off and passing PT test to ship to phase I.

My total hospital bill was around $35,000 for five days, which was all covered by insurance and the like, of course. Here I am today. I'm not a PT test, but I have zero problems passing a test. I hydrate like crazy and I'm a non-over exerting fool. Dont get me wrong, i work out hard, but at the first sign of vomit (except when running) or dizziness, I stop.
                  Oh.
                  My.
                  Gosh.....

Omigosh. I will definitely NOT overdo it!!! i do have to say that i have never thrown up during a workout. I don't know if I just naturally slow down when I feel sick, or if my body just doesn't break down that way. I do sometimes get a burning in my stomach, but never throwing up.

Comment

Originally posted by MommaGrizzly View Post
                    On your question about "Insanity", this is a method designed for home use, with no equipment (you don't need a truck tire or a pull up bar, etc) that will help you in enhancing cardiovascular endurance and strength... I think it would be a better fit for you than crossfit (I don't know you so this is the best assessment I can make with the info you've provided) but don't substitute "insanity" for the exercises that you HAVE to complete for the PT test, it will be a compliment to your training only.

Best of luck,
                    MG
                    Thank you. I would love to hire a personal trainer, but the closest gym with a trainer is like an hour and a half. With gas prices, I really just can't afford that lol.
                    I definitely work on the PT exercises throughout the days. I do pushups whenever I hear certain words (haha, it makes my day interesting) and I run at least 3 miles, 3 or 4 times a week.
                    I ship to basic in July, so I am really just trying to get into decent shape to make life a tad bit easier.

OH! Is it safe to run everyday?? I know that you aren't supposed to weight train everyday, but is running okay?

Comment

Originally posted by bettywhite View Post
                      Oh.
                      My.
                      Gosh.....

Omigosh. I will definitely NOT overdo it!!! i do have to say that i have never thrown up during a workout. I don't know if I just naturally slow down when I feel sick, or if my body just doesn't break down that way. I do sometimes get a burning in my stomach, but never throwing up.
                      It's not a good run until you throw up I just had to learn to listen to myself more. Listen to yourself and you'll be fine. Another disadvantage I had was that I was prior USAF, and if you went 09S into OCS there was no warrior transition course, or orientation. so I basically swore in on a Wednesday, Friday was drill, I was handed two sets of ACU's and sent to OCS phase zero. So from the couch to the fire in two days. I thought I was "in shape" because as a civilian I could run two miles. Which, for a civilian that IS in shape.

Comment

This might be motivating me to run faster

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/i...ent/therobber/

Comment

PX90
                          This is a very advanced but do-able program to get you where you wanna be.

Comment

Working...
                          X