Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to be a PT stud...

Okay,
    A backstory first: I enlisted in fall, but started working for it in summer. I lost some weight (yes, I was very overweight. It's embarrassing!) But I lost some of the weight and was able to enlist. Now, I am looking into becoming more fit. I started off never doing a pushup in my life, and now I can do like 10. And my situps are pretty decent. I did over 30 in a minute last drill. My run time is passing at a little over 9 minutes.

I have been going to the gym, but I've never really been super athletic, so (this sounds dumb) but I really don't know how to workout (to maximize results, that is). I've mainly just been doing cardio to lose weight. I've never bench pressed or done any of the machines or anything (it's sad... i know lol).

I was looking at "Insanity". I am willing to spend the money, if it works. Has anyone used that? Are there any other suggestions? I am a female if it matters at all. I find it a lot easier to go to the gym if i have a fitness plan. I am also willing to put in the work. I like being pushed during the pt we do at rsp.

Thanks for the help!

Re: I want to be a PT stud...

Originally posted by bettywhite View Post
    I started off never doing a pushup in my life
    This is where everyone starts.

Comment

You want to be a PT stud, do what PT stud's do. Sign up for a triathlon or a 5k run or a 10k run or a half marathon. Sign up for a soccer team. Ride your bicycle to work everyday. Quit watching TV.

Comment

Okay,

(yes, I was very overweight. It's embarrassing!)

(this sounds dumb)

(it's sad... i know lol).

Thanks for the help!
        1. Stop tearing on yourself.....none of what you are saying is 'dumb' or 'sad' if you are sincere, motivated and are willing to put in the work.

2. I am a female also (I just enlisted in Feb) and started out like you over a year ago. Last year I dropped 35 lbs, had NEVER done a PU or SU in my life, but was determined to get fit and achieve my dream of serving. (And I'm 37....so I really had to push myself to make it in under the wire with the age requirements)

I literally started just walking and now I run 5k every other day and jog/sprint less distance on alternating days. I found my local YMCA was a wealth of information on how to use the machines and do weight training every other day as well.

I am still not where I want to be with my PU and SU (lets just say you've got me on the SU by a land slide) but I certainly don't consider it 'sad'....I just stay motivated, focused and drive on. I do them every day and improve and strengthen my core a little more every day.

Pushing through your plateaus and making progress has a lot to do with state of mind as well, so stop all the negative thoughts and just KNOW that you can do it...but create a plan, pace yourself (so you improve but do not injure yourself) and BELIEVE in yourself.

Just remember, ''I WILL NEVER QUIT''

Comment

Okay,
          A backstory first: I enlisted in fall, but started working for it in summer. I lost some weight (yes, I was very overweight. It's embarrassing!) But I lost some of the weight and was able to enlist. Now, I am looking into becoming more fit. I started off never doing a pushup in my life, and now I can do like 10. And my situps are pretty decent. I did over 30 in a minute last drill. My run time is passing at a little over 9 minutes.

I have been going to the gym, but I've never really been super athletic, so (this sounds dumb) but I really don't know how to workout (to maximize results, that is). I've mainly just been doing cardio to lose weight. I've never bench pressed or done any of the machines or anything (it's sad... i know lol).

I was looking at "Insanity". I am willing to spend the money, if it works. Has anyone used that? Are there any other suggestions? I am a female if it matters at all. I find it a lot easier to go to the gym if i have a fitness plan. I am also willing to put in the work. I like being pushed during the pt we do at rsp.

Thanks for the help!
          100 push up plan and 200 sit up plan! Google them

Comment

www.crossfit.com

It may look intimidating at first, but it's scalable so anyone can do it regardless of what kind of shape you're in now. Browse that site, read the FAQ, message boards, etc. There are a ton of military people on the message board too, so it's a good place to ask questions. Try and find a Crossfit affiliate in your area. If theres not one, you can still do most of the workouts on your own at a regular gym. This will prepare you physically for more than just the APFT.

If you just want to focus solely on the APFT for now. That's easy, do lots of push ups, sit ups, and run. The 100 push ups and 200 sit ups program mentioned above are a good place to start. As for running, do intervals like 60/120's (sprint for 60 seconds, walk for 120 seconds, repeat). Throw a longer run (3-5 miles) in there around once a week.

Bottom line is, whatever you choose to do, just do something. Anything is better than nothing. It will take a lot of self-motivation to see results. You will have to push yourself, even when you don't feel like it. And don't worry about where you are now. Everybody has to start somewhere.

"If you really want something, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

Good advice from everyone above. As for insanity, as a company our 1SG has had us do it twice now. If you actually put 100% of your effort into it, the workouts will leave you sweaty and fairly sore. It's mostly cardio, jumping around, running in place, but there are some good push-up type exercises in there too. I'd use it as something different to throw in with everything else every once in awhile.

Comment

freetrainers.com. It will give you an exact routine to do at the gym or by yourself to help you bulk up, get lean, or whatever else you want ot do. I used to use it when I was just starting out. It's perfect since It shows pictures of the workouts and explains how to do them, what it does for you, and good tips.

Comment

I'm a big crossfit person by proxy. In my OCS program we do PT all three days of drill, and required to perform and track PT 5 days a week off drill on a google spreadsheet. We are assigned three work outs that are crossfit workouts (yes, including a murph workout every now and then) and then the remaining two days are custom workouts where we do whatever we want.

Comment

Originally posted by sherfield2002 View Post
                    www.crossfit.com

It may look intimidating at first, but it's scalable so anyone can do it regardless of what kind of shape you're in now. Browse that site, read the FAQ, message boards, etc. There are a ton of military people on the message board too, so it's a good place to ask questions. Try and find a Crossfit affiliate in your area. If theres not one, you can still do most of the workouts on your own at a regular gym. This will prepare you physically for more than just the APFT.
                    YES! I was about to start chiming in about CrossFit but I guess I got beat. CrossFit in my opinion is an excellent physical training program. I went from having a 13:56 2 mile run time after basic training along with an overall AFPT score of 268/300 to a 12:57 run time at AIT along with an overall score of 294/300 and I'm still seeing improvement. CrossFit really is for everyone. If you have two arms, two legs, and a little bit of heart, you can do CrossFit.

Comment

Wow! Lots of advice! Thanks everyone! I will definitely have some research to do. Crossfit seems like it will definitely be at the top of my list to look at.

Comment

Wow! Lots of advice! Thanks everyone! I will definitely have some research to do. Crossfit seems like it will definitely be at the top of my list to look at.
                        Just keep in mind if you start with crossfit... If you can't do the whole workout or have to take much longer than average to do it, don't sweat it... and DON'T overdo it! You are trying to get in better shape, and injuring yourself will not help the cause! Good luck

Comment

Good for you wanting to be your best or to date myself "Be All You Can Be". Continue practicing your APFT. All of the above is good advice. Try doing more pushups in less time and make them real not the bend at the waist move I see so often. When they get too easy start elevating your feet. Try handstand push ups, do pushups between weight benches or one dumbells you'd be amazed. Same for situps and run. Mix it up between speed, power and endurance. Some days long and slow, others short and fast. Anything that you do will make you better and better as time goes one. Do not forget nutrition and rest which are two of the most important aspects of a physical fitness program. You only break down muscle during the exercise you only repair and build muscle with rest and nutrition. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
                            Just keep in mind if you start with crossfit... If you can't do the whole workout or have to take much longer than average to do it, don't sweat it... and DON'T overdo it!
                            I'll keep that in mind! I'll try not to get frustrated and just quit lol!

Comment

Originally posted by howard kempf View Post
                              Good for you wanting to be your best or to date myself "Be All You Can Be". Continue practicing your APFT. All of the above is good advice. Try doing more pushups in less time and make them real not the bend at the waist move I see so often. When they get too easy start elevating your feet. Try handstand push ups, do pushups between weight benches or one dumbells you'd be amazed. Same for situps and run. Mix it up between speed, power and endurance. Some days long and slow, others short and fast. Anything that you do will make you better and better as time goes one. Do not forget nutrition and rest which are two of the most important aspects of a physical fitness program. You only break down muscle during the exercise you only repair and build muscle with rest and nutrition. Good luck
                              Thank you! I will definitely try to do some of the different pushups instead of just the standard. My pushup count is also low because I don't do pushups halfway. I only try for the legit ones. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X