X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my run time is dismal

I'm not going to lie, my pushups, and situps are right where they need to be. My run is really starting to concern me. I'm suckin really bad trying to complete 1 mile. I ship april 20th so does anyone have any tips or tricks? Treadmill or track? Run everyday? Every other day? My first and only RSP is this weekend and I have to do my 1-1-1

Re: my run time is dismal

Run every other day, set a TIME, not a distance... run as slow as you need to just to finish the time. What you need to focus on now is cardio endurace.... being able to run. Then work on speed. Every day will likely injure you, maybe 3 days on, 1 day off or something would be okay since your time is coming up shortly. The second you feel shin splints, take a break from running and ICE. You DONT want to show up to basic injured with shin splints.

So, pick say.... 20 minutes... then go jog. Jog as slow or as fast as you can...just do the time. Dont stop until you hit the time. Your head and your toughts are your own worst enemy. Until you can do this easily, drown it out with music or something.

Comment

Ok, should I do this on a clay track or a treadmill?

Comment

If you really, really want to get ready, do it on a street.. a natural, non-track, non-treadmill enviorment. Tracks are next, but still the terrain is non-existant, and lastly the treadmill. You want to get some terrain changes because when you start doing PT in basic or at your unit it wont always be on a track. You'll be running on all sorts of different stuff.

Just a nice, slow, time. Get the time thing down then work on speed. Probably wont get to that before basic but you'll have some endurance and will fair better in basic

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
          So, pick say.... 20 minutes... then go jog. Jog as slow or as fast as you can...just do the time. Dont stop until you hit the time. Your head and your toughts are your own worst enemy. Until you can do this easily, drown it out with music or something.
          This is really good advice. I've used it before with excellent results. Go for 20 minutes and do NOT walk. Run as slow as you need to. Run slower than you normally walk if need be. Just shuffle your feet along the ground at 1 mph if necessary, but do not stop and walk for any reason. You need to get your legs used to the constant motion. Once you develop that initial level of endurance, you can go for longer distances and faster times. Just keep this in your head when running: You can have what you want most, or you can have what you want right now, but you can't have both. You can finish the run and improve yourself, or you can walk for awhile and take a breather.

Comment

To add, make sure you do map out 2 miles. If you running 20 minutes without stopping but only cover 1.5 to 1.75 miles then it doesnt serve a purpose.

Also, just run for 2 miles, do not go beyond in your case. Many people try to do longer distance but it slows their pace. Focus on just doing two miles without stopping and then work the speed issue.

That is how I train. I remember I did not PT for a good three months and had a PT test in 20 days. Just doing as I explained, got me ready and I passed all events without issue. Got a 274.
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; March 29th, 2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

In the great scheme of things, you'd want to enhance your cardiorespiratory endurance before you work on the run speed... what has worked for me on this (I'm a cyclist and dreaded running when I started training) is to listen to cadences on my ipod and set intervals (mini goals) to run to.

I started with x minutes running, x seconds rest (jog-walk), until I reached the full run without having to stop and walk. Once you reach the desired time without stopping (say 20 minutes as suggested in the previous post) then work on that for a week and start incorporating speed variations (sprints, etc).

I only run 3-4 times a week (every other day) and I work on muscle endurance the off days (push ups, sit ups, etc.) Your muscles need time to adjust and more importantly, in order to get stronger they need the rest, even of only minimal. What does this mean? Adaptation happens when you go to muscle fatigue (the burning feeling that makes you wanna quit) and the process of getting stronger happens when the muscle fibers form scar tissue which happens at rest... I'd recommend not running every day for now.

Specificity is important too... meaning, practice like your event will be. You'll be running at a track and outside while at BCT so, your best bet is to ditch the treadmill and practice under more realistic conditions.

I cannot stress enough how much the running candences have helped me (even if only at double-time). My mind is like a small, unattended child (it likes to wonder) and the cadences are funny and keep me from thinking about giving up... it is not an option!

Good luck. Feel free to PM if you have questions, I didn't sleep at an holiday inn express last night but I am a personal trainer... (sorry If i got carried away, I'm a fitness geek).
              Last edited by MommaGrizzly; March 29th, 2011, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MommaGrizzly View Post
                In the great scheme of things, you'd want to enhance your cardiorespiratory endurance before you work on the run speed... what has worked for me on this (I'm a cyclist and dreaded running when I started training) is to listen to cadences on my ipod and set intervals (mini goals) to run to.

I cannot stress enough how much the running candences have helped me (even if only at double-time). My mind is like a small, unattended child (it likes to wonder) and the cadences are funny and keep me from thinking about giving up... it is not an option!
                Everyone's advice in this thread was excellent. Nevertheless, I can tell you--bare none--that running to cadences will get you over the hump of mediocrity. In fact, just repeating in your head in cadence to your Left...your left.... your left, right left.... at a double-time pace is enough to help you develop a rhythm moderate enough to help you get into shape. The trick is, you have to maintain that same tempo in your head, which means you have to have good natural rhythm. Otherwise, you can go mama grizzly's route and use an ipod. Either way you will ROCK.

Best cadence to run to?

Hail o' Hail INFANTRY!!

HOOAH!!

Comment

Don't be worried about the 1-1-1, the mile is real easy and it'll be over before you know it. Just keep running and try to control your breathing.

Comment

Working...
                  X