X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motivation needed

It's not as bad as it sounds but , I would like to run more than 3 times a week , what do you guys recommend , Im 33 @ 200 LBS. 5 FT 9 INCHS , im currently doing 2 miles in 20:00 minutes average , best is 18:45.

Today I did full 5 mile run in an hour LOL....

Opinions ................................................?

Re: Motivation needed

You need to get some speed work incorporated in your runs in order to lower your 2 mile time. Once a week when you're out for a run try sprinting in between light posts or telephone posts. There are many sources you can find that will help you lower your run time.

Comment

Im on the tread mill , should I go outside and yeah I every ounce and while I'll hit a sprint .....mainly im targetting the weight .........but I got ya , I see what your saying thanks!

Comment

Have access to an elliptical? Doing mostly that with a few runs outside helped me shave off my time many years ago.

Comment

Run faster...

Comment

To lower my times I have found....

1. I only use a treadmill if the weather is horrendous (i.e. lightening...otherwise I feel like I am on a human hamster wheel) I am better able to lengthen my stride when outside. If I DO use the treadmill, I incorporate hills and alternate sprints every couple minutes into my running.

2. When running outside, as read above, I too incorporate sprints, but I have found the hill running really shortened my time the next time I was on a flat track.

I like Teuvil's advice too though...

Comment

I haven't ran outside in awhile but its not that bad, I would like to see what the diffrence is compared to a treadmill.

Comment

Losing weight will make you faster. I typically shave off 30 seconds from my 2 mile when ever I lose 5lbs of fat. Running outside is highly recommended. You don't use all the same muscles running on a treadmil as you do when running outside. Particularly the hamstring. Working in some speed work(fartleks) and cross training on off run days will help ALOT.

Comment

Originally posted by Nivimar View Post
                  It's not as bad as it sounds but , I would like to run more than 3 times a week , what do you guys recommend , Im 33 @ 200 LBS. 5 FT 9 INCHS , im currently doing 2 miles in 20:00 minutes average , best is 18:45.

Today I did full 5 mile run in an hour LOL....

Opinions ................................................?
                  If you really want to shave time off of your 2 mile run you need to incorporate interval training into your regimen. I'm sure someone will chime in later in this thread and say "Viceroy, you don't know ish about working out". But I can tell you right now, when I first started in January my time was garbage. I was pushing 8:30 in the mile. After intense interval training I shaved 1:30 off of my mile time.

Both the treadmill and the elliptical will do fine to prepare for outdoor running. I run at the treadmill's top speed of 12.5 mph for about 15 to 30 seconds at a time and scale down to 3 mph for about a minute at a time on a flat plane. On the elliptical with a resistance scale that ranges from 1 to 100, I go at an average resistance of 50 for 5 minutes at a time and dial up to 100 and burst for about 30 seconds at a time for a total of 30 minutes to an hour. My last drill is this weekend--unfortunately, due to outside distractions, I've dropped on my training. But I'm focusing on running a total time of 14:00 for the 2 mile. At 38 years old, 5'8" with a 34 inch waist, 45 inch chest and 217 pounds, I've been gaging my progress by how close I'm getting to the 140 pound and under athletic high school kid population. I only have about 8 guys to knock off before I finish at the front of the pack.
                  Last edited by VICEROY06; March 29th, 2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Dam that's good I hate the eliptical, but I was thinking should I do weight training and what do you guys recommend.I will keep the momentum rolling thanks guys for your help.

Comment

Dam that's good I hate the eliptical, but I was thinking should I do weight training and what do you guys recommend.I will keep the momentum rolling thanks guys for your help.
                      You're not alone. I fri-ggin' hated the elliptical machine at first. In the beginning I could do about 5 minutes at 20% resistance before feeling my heart pumping in my throat. Over time I worked my way up to 100% resistance and maintained an average heart rate of 170 bpm for a solid hour sometimes tipping all the way up to 180 bpm. Now, I don't even train on the elliptical below 50% resistance when the average guy that thinks he's pumping hard and only dialed up to 25% resistance. I have to admit, though, that I could only achieve 180 bpm after a double shot of expresso. I don't recommend that for anyone, particularly, someone that is a novice or even an intermediate in the gym. By the way, don't waste your time on the type of elliptical machine that only works the legs. Workout on the type that works both the arms and legs. Also, I would recommend selecting the heat rate monitor and focus on trying to increase and maintain as high of a heart rate as possible for as long as possible.
                      Last edited by VICEROY06; March 29th, 2011, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Todays score on treadmill was 17:00 on the dot 2 mile run!!!!!!!!,I shaved a whole minute in 3 months and weight I'm almost in the hundred's now , guys what about weight training yes or no , or keep doing situps and push ups?

Comment

Todays score on treadmill was 17:00 on the dot 2 mile run!!!!!!!!,I shaved a whole minute in 3 months and weight I'm almost in the hundred's now , guys what about weight training yes or no , or keep doing situps and push ups?
                          Someone else may advise against weight training--but I wouldn't. In my experience, I benefited the most from squats and deadlifts. Your core is going to be the single most important area to strengthen as 100% of what you do will require a solid, solid core. I would not recommend being a monster and trying to squat and deadlift hundreds of pounds. start out fairly light and work your way up.

I also wouldn't recommend any isolating/defining movements i.e. dumbell curls, tricep extensions etc. Stick to exercises that involve the entire body and combining multiple movements. Research kettle ball fitness online and incorporate that routine into your regimen. Again, start out with minimal weight. Sounds like you're pretty good in the cardiovascular department for now but don't forget to slowly increase the level of incline over time. If I were you, I would perform squats on Tuesdays and deadlift on Fridays. Tinker around and develop your own schedule.

You'll also need to work on maximizing your sit-ups and push-ups. Deadlifting and squats will help greatly with improving sit-ups, and bench pressing will help to increase push-ups. I would suggest performing benching exercises on Hammer Strength equipment if you have access to a Hammer Strength machine(s)--that way you can work on balancing your strength by benching with one arm at a time.
                          Last edited by VICEROY06; March 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Have someone show you before attempting to deadlift or squat any amount of weight. It can really screw you up if you don't have proper form.

Comment

Proper Deadlifting Technique

Proper Squat Technique

Hammer Strength Incline Press technique
                              Last edited by VICEROY06; March 30th, 2011, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X