X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good article on practical fitness vs. APFT

I recently came across this article and thought I'd share. I'm aware that the APFT is currently in a state of flux, so this issue may already be in the process of being corrected. The major does get a bit technical in the latter half of the article when he discusses his particular training plan, but the first half is good reading and some excellent points are brought up. Unfortunately the PDF is too large for me to attach, but here is the link.

Why Does the Army Want Me Weak?

About the author:
    Ryan Long is a major in the US Army and an instructor in the Department of Physical Education at the United States Military Academy, West Point, NY. He graduated from USMA in 2000 with a Bachelors of Science in Environmental Science and graduated from the University of Virginia in 2008 with a Masters of Education in Kinesiology. He is a competitive weightlifter with a 210kg total in the 77kg class and a competitive powerlifter with a 1300lb raw total in the 181lb weight class.

Re: Good article on practical fitness vs. APFT

I know I've preached about the benefits of Kettlebells on here before but my personal opinion is that they are the solution to what everyone is looking for. Kettlebells are a great way to get good cardio, a great fat burner, an excellent strength/power training and it's a gym all rolled into one plus it's convienent that you can take it with you anywhere to use.

It's the benefits of weightlifting with the positive affects of getting just as strong but without the negative side affects of getting huge and bulky that slows you down.

While you should run and have to you can to some extent use it alone in high intensity cardio and pass a timed run. Granted you may not max out the run totally but you can pretty much pass it with a decent time.

Finally when you use it the affects of it mimic the effect of body weight exercises where by doing those you can be able to handle your own weight. I tested that out myself personally. For a whole year I had not done any situps I then had taken up the kettlebell workout and after a month or so I tested myself on sit ups alone and I maxed them out. Now thats pretty good for someone who hadn't done them for a whole year.

On the new Army PRT http://www.armyprt.com/ the training does involve Kettlebells but I hope someday it gets to the point where a test is created that tests on Kettlebell exercises. Already a number of Federal agencies test their applicants on them. The Secret Service tests their applicants with the snatch challenge where they have to perform 200 snatchs in 10 minutes. My opinion I think testing soldiers on something like that instead of push ups would be way more of a benefit.

Comment

Working...
    X