Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microdiscectomy & AIT

Hello,
    I am a split option soldier in between basic and AIT.

At basic, I herniated two discs in my lumbar spine. I pushed through the pain and graduated.

From august (basic grad) till now I have seen numerous doctors, epidermal shots, physical therapy, and last week I had a Microdiscectomy done on L5-S1.

I still have a huge amount of pain, enough to where I cannot do PT or a PT Test. I can hardly walk up and down stairs.

The doctor and several other people i have talked to, who have had the same surgery, have told me that I will have this pain for 6weeks to 2 years.

Problem is, I ship to AIT in June. Im afraid that if I ship, I wont be able to complete the PT or PT tests given in AIT, and will result in getting myself discharged.

What are my options?

Re: microdiscectomy & AIT

If you have had all of this work done then you'd have to be cleared by your doctor in order for you to ship to AIT anyways. From what you are saying it doesn't sound like that would happen. You need to tell your RSP what is going on ASAP. I'm guessing they are already in the loop since you can't do PT, but they need to know that you realistically probably wont be shippping out in June. If you are not cleared to ship by at least 2 months prior to your ship date(April if you ship in June), then your RSP will have to push your ship date back a few months. If in the next few months the doctor doesnt clear you then eventually you will be discharged.

Comment

I will get the clearance or no-go from my doctor ASAP.

and just curious, what kind of discharge would it be? Medical?
      I love the military and want to stay in, but if for some reason I get discharged, I want it to not be dishonerable.

Comment

a quick update for anyone interested or anyone that would like to share some more info for me.

The nerve damage wont be fixed for a few years, I am going to try and **** it up and just do what I got to do.
        I leave for AIT in a couple weeks, but am very concerned about the APFT.

I have been unable to do much PT due to the pain, and have gotten out of shape, I now fear that I will have an APFT on arrival at AIT and will fail, resulting in a discharge or article 15.

Does anyone know what the APFT schedule is like for a 94F at Ft. Gordon?

Comment

Does your RSP know about all of this? If any of this was mentioned you probably wont be going anywhere unless you have doctors clearance from MEPS. Once you get treated by a doctor for anything between basic and AIT you have to get cleared by MEPS.

Comment

Yep, they have been up to date with me the whole time.

Never stated anything about meps doctors.

We direct ship now.

Comment

Direct ship is def a way to sneak around those pesky MEPS doctors.

Comment

It is commendable to see you try to complete your training in the condition that you are in but is it worth further physical damage by attending AIT before you are fully recovered?

I am surprised you still do not get a spot check before you ship out to AIT. You should be fully honest about your situation. You serve no purpose to us or yourself if you are broke.

The drill sergeants/platoon sergeants will be upset knowing you arrived at AIT in that condition.

And again, the only way to receive a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge is through a court martial. Your med board and discharge will grant you an honorable discharge. Getting hurt is in no way, shape or form a dishonorable discharge whatsoever.

Be responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                  It is commendable to see you try to complete your training in the condition that you are in but is it worth further physical damage by attending AIT before you are fully recovered?

I am surprised you still do not get a spot check before you ship out to AIT. You should be fully honest about your situation. You serve no purpose to us or yourself if you are broke.

The drill sergeants/platoon sergeants will be upset knowing you arrived at AIT in that condition.

And again, the only way to receive a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge is through a court martial. Your med board and discharge will grant you an honorable discharge. Getting hurt is in no way, shape or form a dishonorable discharge whatsoever.

Be responsible.
                  Well I am hoping for the best, I finished the last 4 weeks of basic training with the injury because army doctors misdiagnosed it, so I am hopeful that I will continue healing throughout ait.
                  I am making copies of every thing related to my injury that I have including receipts for the year of therapy I am doing, the surgery, the profiles and hospital notes from basic training and my MRI discs.
                  Going to take all that with me in case I need it. Once I get settled into AIT and start getting weekend passes, I am going to find a physical therapy office and continue my recovery.

I am assuming that because I had spinal surgery, that would disqualify me from airborne if I ever wanted to attend?

Comment

Working...
                  X