X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stitch in My Side

I am M, 29 years old, 6'0" and 190lbs - in very good shape, doing all I can to train and prep for BCT & OCS in the next 12-14 months (cardio, cardio, weights, core core). Running regularly 2-4 miles per day & biking on the off days, and right around 1.8 miles on the treadmill I get a h e l l of a stitch in my right side lower abdominal muscle. I know the root cause is your diaphragm is working overtime to breathe hard but is there any breathing techniques that anyone knows of to help combat / decrease the duration the pain hangs around? I can usually run through it but sometimes it really twinges like heck - thanks!

Re: Stitch in My Side

When that happens try exhaling on the opposite foot that you normally do. If you normally exhale when your right foot hits the ground, try exhaling when your left does. That usually helps me, or slow down your pace a bit.

Comment

A lot of times the root cause of the problem is dehydration. Try drinking more water than you usually do before your run and see if that affects the onset.

Comment

Excellent suggestions; generally I find myself breathing on a 4-count rythym - in for two strides, out for to strides - unless I'm trying to haul a s s and in that case it's every-other foot, I'll have to try the oppsite-foot inhale trick and see how that card plays out. The pain is deintensifying more quickly now that I'm back into what I'd call a running training regimen, I'd been stopped / limited for almost 2 months previously and start back up maybe 6 weeks ago (at most).

HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE - Word.

Comment

I get that stitch too. For me it comes from being out of shape. I find the best solution for all aches and pains is to keep training gradually pushing yourself more and more every week. I'm no fitness nut or an expert, but my week looks like this: relaxing or long distance run Mondays, normal limits run Tuesday, Wednesday is testing limits run, Thursday normal limits run, Friday run that sets new "normal" limits for next week (so you do push yourself but not as much as Wednesday), and Sat - Sun no run, just relax (optional). My approach at running in that manner has proven to work for me and I'm a better runner every month than the previous.
          Breathing is a huge part too. I do much like you....in for two and out for two or faster. The hydration suggestion is key too. I drink a ton of water the night before and down half a bottle of Gatorade 30 minutes before I run. That helps prevent the pains too. For everything else there's Mastercard....to buy Ibuprofen.

Comment

The stitch is called a myofascial trigger point (or in simpler terms a contraction point) and it's caused when the anterior muscles surrounding your ribs, which are meant to aid your diaphragm in the expansion of your chest to increase breathing rate while exercising, are overworked and over-stretched. When these muscles are overworked, the posterior muscles which also aid in breathing are forced to work harder and eventually more serious symptoms can develop other than the pain. To prevent this, all of what the previous posters said was helpful. Hydrate adequately, alter your rythym of breathing, also breath in through your nose and out through your mouth, and try not to make wide swings with your arms so your muscles aren't stretched as much. Eventually your body will get used to the stress.

Comment

All advice being followed and all tips are helping, it takes a lot of cocentration to alter your breathing rythym to the other foot inhale, surprising! All good results so far - thank you for the tips!

Comment

Working...
              X