Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I made tape test!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I made tape test!

    My recruiter told me I was 1 inch from the minimum (40). However 2 days later I went from a 40 to a 37 by using a stupid plastic bag. For some reason working out in a black trash bag around my torso made me lose inches. I also slept with the heater on the whole night, and measured myself at 37", 36 when I **** it in.

    So I can confirm that the plastic bag treatment works!

  • #2
    Re: I made tape test!

    Congrats Jeff! Now make sure your recruiter tapes you right and keep working before you get to MEPS!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I made tape test!

      Congrats! I just hope you din't sleep with the trash bag on. I knew a guy that died in a sauna from being in there to long. And he wasn't really in there for a very long period of time.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I made tape test!

        Originally posted by Jeff U. View Post
        My recruiter told me I was 1 inch from the minimum (40). However 2 days later I went from a 40 to a 37 by using a stupid plastic bag. For some reason working out in a black trash bag around my torso made me lose inches. I also slept with the heater on the whole night, and measured myself at 37", 36 when I **** it in.

        So I can confirm that the plastic bag treatment works!
        You realize thats water weight you lost and not fat right? I HIGHLY recommend that you rehydrate. DRINK WATER!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I made tape test!

          Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
          You realize thats water weight you lost and not fat right? I HIGHLY recommend that you rehydrate. DRINK WATER!!!
          I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV but.....

          SGT Juggernaut is correct; REHYDRATE! You can drop water weight for short term results but dehyration will get you in the end.

          So how much water does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? In general, doctors recommend 8 or 9 cups. Here are the most common ways of calculating that amount:

          ■Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter (about 4 cups) of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace your lost fluids.

          ■Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.

          ■Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

          Even apart from the above approaches, if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's best for you.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I made tape test!

            Did you wear the bag like a shirt? what do you mean wear it around your torso? Im right at 24% and want to make sure I have some wiggle room myself.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I made tape test!

              I wore it as a shirt, flipped the open end, and made 3 holes. I put 2 shirts on top of that and a heavy jacket. I excercised for a few hours, and wore it to sleep. Also YES I drank water, a lot of water almost 1.5 gallons. Currently my waist is still at 37", and I seem to have dropped 4 pounds. However I did fast on Milk tea, almonds, and peanuts prior to doing this.

              I just want you guys to know yes I drank more water than usual when I had my plastic bag treatment. It seems my body was carrying excess water weight.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I made tape test!

                Originally posted by Jeff U. View Post
                I wore it as a shirt, flipped the open end, and made 3 holes. I put 2 shirts on top of that and a heavy jacket. I excercised for a few hours, and wore it to sleep. Also YES I drank water, a lot of water almost 1.5 gallons. Currently my waist is still at 37", and I seem to have dropped 4 pounds. However I did fast on Milk tea, almonds, and peanuts prior to doing this.
                Hate to say this, but wearing the plastic bag while sleeping/working out makes you drop weight by water loss; if you're rehydrating by drinking lots of water, you're not losing weight. It was likely the fasting that caused the weight loss.

                That said, any regimen where you try to sweat a lot (plastic bag or other bad ideas) and don't rehydrate has the potential of killing you. There are also a lot of cases of people doing it to lose weight for their weigh in, only to pass out later that day while doing their APFT. Not good.
                Originally posted by Jeff U. View Post
                I just want you guys to know yes I drank more water than usual when I had my plastic bag treatment. It seems my body was carrying excess water weight.
                Your body doesn't carry "excess water weight." The water weight it carries is needed to keep you healthy when you physically exert yourself. All the little tricks that folks turn to (lowering water intake, taking diuretics, etc.) to dehydrate themselves has the potential for harm.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I made tape test!

                  Ok, I shipped to BCT by the skin of my teeth. When I joined I was around 210, but gained an additional 14# in 5 months due to a massive life change. I tried the plastic-workout-suit and all I did was sweat. I tried rubbing preperation-h on my stomach and wraping it with surran wrap. None of it worked...

                  What worked was getting away from the restaurant business and going to a FTU (fitness training unit) where we had our meals planned at 1200 cal/per day. We worked out 2 or 3 times a day. Lots of walking and running. Also had some vollyball matches before lights out. In 10 days, I managed to drop 8 pounds. After the FTU I was able to workout 2 times a day doing nothing but cardio cardio cardio! Counted my calories, and dropped the other 6 pounds in 2 weeks. Dehydration NEVER helped me. I drank water like you wouldn't believe.

                  So, the lesson here is: Workout intenselys for 30-45 minutes per day, watch your calorie intake, and you will maintain a weight loss.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I made tape test!

                    Good advice Clyde!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I made tape test!

                      Clyde is exactly right.

                      I lost ~190lbs counting my calories and exercising 6 days a week. Took me almost 2 years.

                      Highlight of it all was running a 6:50 mile in my pt test this past week at drill. Hard to imagine I was 400lbs 2 years ago. At 30 I finished ahead of every one.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I made tape test!

                        That's awesome, LeftyMedic! The weight loss and mile time are both very inspiring.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I made tape test!

                          Originally posted by MPThink View Post
                          That's awesome, LeftyMedic! The weight loss and mile time are both very inspiring.

                          Thanks!!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: I made tape test!

                            Originally posted by clyde View Post
                            Ok, I shipped to BCT by the skin of my teeth. When I joined I was around 210, but gained an additional 14# in 5 months due to a massive life change. I tried the plastic-workout-suit and all I did was sweat. I tried rubbing preperation-h on my stomach and wraping it with surran wrap. None of it worked...

                            What worked was getting away from the restaurant business and going to a FTU (fitness training unit) where we had our meals planned at 1200 cal/per day. We worked out 2 or 3 times a day. Lots of walking and running. Also had some volleyball matches before lights out. In 10 days, I managed to drop 8 pounds. After the FTU I was able to workout 2 times a day doing nothing but cardio cardio cardio! Counted my calories, and dropped the other 6 pounds in 2 weeks. Dehydration NEVER helped me. I drank water like you wouldn't believe.

                            So, the lesson here is: Workout intensely for 30-45 minutes per day, watch your calorie intake, and you will maintain a weight loss.
                            Wholeheartedly agree. You cannot out train a bad diet.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X